Author Topic: SEGA inspired Game Releases 2016-2017  (Read 22439 times)

Offline Breadarms

• Total Meseta: 0
SEGA inspired Game Releases 2016-2017
« on: January 12, 2016, 10:04:46 pm »
Welcome to your source of Sega inspired games and their respective release dates for the next coming years.

This thread is going to be devoted to any upcoming none Sega games on the horizon that are either carrying on the Sega legacy in some way or are inspired by, influenced or maybe spiritual successors to existing Sega franchises like Crimson Dragon or Rodea The Sky Soldier (wii).
 These would be good examples of games that have already been released, developed by Yuji Naka's Prope team and Yukio Futatsugi's Grounding Inc, Likewise an example of a bad link would be say Heavy Rain because it gives you the option to view items up close and just like Shenmue it follows a tightly woven plot with cutscenes that include QTEs, it's not enough of a connection, basically it has to be a strong link and be representative of the SEGA style, anyway I've put together a short list of upcoming games to get everyone started, pretty sure I've covered 99% of the relevant releases below.

(This thread will not cover any games being developed for retro systems like the Dreamcast/Megadrive etc, would be interesting if someone made a thread specifically for that, also if your after finding none SEGA developed SEGA games like Shenmue III etc then go look at the top of the General SEGA discussion thread and you will find them in the SEGA release schedule)

BE SURE TO SHOUT OUT ANY GAMES I'VE YET TO MENTION AND I'LL ADD THEM TO THE LIST LATER.

Thanks, Breadarms.

Ok on to the Release Schedule.

*The 90's Arcade Racer
Blink and you will think your watching Daytona USA 3, very AM2 indeed.
Release date - 2016.
(PC/Linux/Mac/Android/Ios/Wii U)

*The Big Blue/Little Blue
Ed Annunziata developed spiritual sequel to Ecco The Tides of Time, has been on hiatus since 2013 but is expected to be reintroduced soon.
Release date -??
(PC/Linux/Mac/Android/Ios)

*Slipstream
Massive Outrun Influence here, mainly sprite work and lot's of Scaling and scrolling effects.
Release date - 2016
(PC/Linux)

*Drift Stage
Great looking almost Ridge Racer aesthetic, straight from that mid 90's Arcade Sega/Namco legacy.
Release date - 2016
(PC/Mac/Linux)

*Spark Electric Jester
Developed by Lake Fepard of Sonic Before&After the Sequel fame.
Release date - August 2016
(PC/Mac)

*Freedom Planet 2
Sonic/treasure inspired sequel to the original steam hit.
Release date - Q4 2017
(PC/Linux/Mac/Wii U)

*Hover Revolt of Gamers
Hideki Naganuma does the score and it's heavily jet set radio inspired.
Release date- 2016
(PC/Mac/Linux/PS4/Xbone/Wii U)

*Brock Crocodile
Being made by Aki who you will find on these very forums, this title is a throwback to early nineties sega platform games.
Release date - 2016
(PC)

*Venture Kid
Released on the 14/01/16 on Ios, this is essentially the fusion of Alex Kidd, Megaman and Wonder Boy, still waiting for the sketchy details on future platforms other than the already confirmed ones.
Release date- 2016
(PC/Android)

*Shadow Gangs
This one is taking its inspiration from Sega's classic Shinobi games and bits from Double Dragon, looks quite promising simply based on the enthusiasm in the interviews of the team working on this.
Release date- 2017
(PC/Linux/Mac)

*AGGELOS
Another game inspired by the Wonder Boy/Monster World games, this time taking its cue from the later Rpg sword based entries in the franchise, featuring some screen filling bosses and a very colourful 2d art style.
I believe this is currently on steam greenlight and will be released some time this year.
Release date- 2016
(PC)

*Racing Apex
Taking its inspiration from Sega's very own Virtua Racing and a hint of Power drift this is shaping up to be a very nostalgic experience, developed by Lucky Mountain games this title will be a mix of racing and combat similar to Mario Kart.
 Currently sitting in alpha.
Release Date- TBC
(PC)

*The Takeover
Still in early access so you can play the latest build now on steam, this title takes its inspiration directly from Streets of Rage, adopting a similar combat style to Streets of Rage with local co-op play I'm confident this will be a blast to play with a friend.
 Even though it's early in development this title is looking very nice indeed.
Release Date- 2017
(PC/Steam)

*Cosmic Star Heroine
Currently on kickstarter and has exceeded it's goal of 100,000.
 Taking it's inspiration from Phantasy Star and other RPGs like Chrono Trigger and Suikoden this is set to take us all back to the early 90s, sporting a retro 2d design using sprites as opposed to polygons solidifying it's early 90s look, looking forward to this one.
Release date- Summer 2016
(PC/Mac/PS4/VITA)

*Strike Harbinger
Under development by Hitspark games and recently shown off at the Galloping Ghost Arcade center this title is like a spiritual successor to Space Harrier, having a twin stick control and mounted in its own cabinet it really goes to show how committed some people are to their art, I recommend finding the news story on SEGAbits for further info.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 09:23:50 pm by Breadarms »

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 22
Re: SEGA inspired Game releases 2016- 2017 and discussion
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 10:29:24 pm »
Add this one : Brock Crocodile  :)

Brought by Aki and people on this board ought to know is responsible for a good amount of Sonic fan games.
Inspired by 16 bit platformers with "mascot wannabe" anthromorphic/ animal characters on the glory 16 Bit Genesis day : Bubsy The Bobcat, Aero The Acro-bat, Awesome Possum, High Seas Havoc, Rocky Rodent, Earthworm Jim, Power Piggs, Wonder Dog, Zero The Kamikaze Squirell, Mr. Nutz, Radical Rex, and of course form the real mascot himself.... Sonic The Hedgehog.

Link : http://segabits.com/forums/index.php?topic=3226.0

Offline Breadarms

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 05:28:48 pm »
Done, looks promising :D

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 05:49:56 pm »
Very nicely done!

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 06:38:27 pm »
Aw thanks Berto for the shout-out! :D Though I've never done any Sonic fangame haha.

Here's another one for the list, the racing game by the guy that did that 2.5 Sonic 2 remake, 90s Arcade Racer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auuYtx8627A

Offline Breadarms

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 06:55:47 pm »
Oops, I was told you made sonic fan games, I'll edit it now, and I'll add 90's Arcade Racer.

Offline segababy88baby

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 09:11:10 pm »
  Does Scalebound count?  I kind of get Panzer Dragoon vibes from that one, and it does have some RPG mechanics in it, tho it's not really an RPG.

The dubstep is kind of annoying and the humor can be hit-or-miss, but the last new footage was pretty impressive and gave me some Sega vibes.

Offline Breadarms

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2016, 08:38:05 am »
I dunno, if you were riding the dragon maybe and it had took some inspiration from team andromedas soundtracks then maybe.

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2016, 01:18:04 pm »
About the Freedom Planet 2 release date, from the game's website:
Our goal is to have a complete beta version of the game ready by mid-2017 with the possibility of a public demo before then. We can’t be any more specific than that at this point.
So 2018 with a demo in 2017 would probably be a more realistic expectation for when that game will be released.

Offline Breadarms

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2016, 01:36:35 pm »
I'll pen in late 2017 for the time being. Thanks.

Offline segababy88baby

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2016, 11:30:39 am »
I dunno, if you were riding the dragon maybe and it had took some inspiration from team andromedas soundtracks then maybe.
I feel like it's the closest we'll get to a new PD game tho, even if it's really not a lot like 'em at all :(

Offline Breadarms

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2016, 12:17:20 pm »
I believe Crimson Dragon is the spiritual successor to Panzer Dragoon, it's by the original director and definitely feels like it, if he announces a sequel I'll put it on the list, he did mention previously he wanted to continue with the franchise, albeit without the kinect controls, thank God 😂

Offline segababy88baby

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2016, 11:27:28 pm »
I believe Crimson Dragon is the spiritual successor to Panzer Dragoon, it's by the original director and definitely feels like it, if he announces a sequel I'll put it on the list, he did mention previously he wanted to continue with the franchise, albeit without the kinect controls, thank God 😂

The Kinect stuff really kind of spoiled the party for Crimson Dragon, but it does deserve another shot.  In the meantime I wish Sega could do a digital rerelease of the Saturn Panzer games. 

The world; she doth be a cruel mistress at times  :))

Offline Breadarms

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2016, 11:37:46 pm »
Totally agree!

Offline Breadarms

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2016, 11:51:43 pm »
For anyone wondering why Monster Boy or say Shenmue III or Project X Zone isn't on here,  well SEGAbits already have covered the other more legitimate SEGA related Releases in their 2016 Release schedule thread, so anything I'm missing should be on there.