Author Topic: Can anyone translate German text?  (Read 5994 times)

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
Can anyone translate German text?
« on: July 28, 2011, 08:42:52 pm »
Basically, they opened up one of the many closed off German bunkers where I live, was closed off directly after the War by the soldiers.

On the wall is some text, I'm really interested to know what it says with out some half arsed translation by google translator or babble fish.

Anyone know or know anyone that knows German/English?

Can be seen planly at 3:11

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-O6xMxAy4A#ws
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 02:20:56 pm by Sharky »
Made by SEGA

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: Can anyone translate German text?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 07:36:18 am »
My fiancee is half german, so I had her attempt to translate. She couldn't work out too much, but she wrote it out for me:

wer sein Volk liebt
beweist es einzig durch die Opfer
die er für dieses zu bringen bereit ist

And we plugged it into google translate:

who loves his people
it proves only by the victims
that he is ready to bring this

Using the so-so robot translation and her reading of it, it's sounds like a justification for genocide/killing. Sort of like saying: "He who loves his people, does so by proving it through the killing of his people's enemies."

edit: doing a bit more searching I found that that the same quote is painted on a wall in a German hospital: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geb%C3%A4ude_auf_dem_Sand (you'll need to google translate it to read the page).

The quote is a bit longer at the hospital, adding an extra bit at the beginning:

"Believing in Germany, we will meet the fate. Anyone who loves his people proves it only through the sacrifice he is willing to make sacrifices for this."

More info:
The entrance hall is lined with marble Stockbirger and served as the flagship of the hospital. Previously there was a black bronze bust of Adolf Hitler and a driven in copper emblem. On the walls, just below the ceiling is the inscription:
"Believing in Germany, we will meet the fate. Anyone who loves his people proves it only through the sacrifice he is willing to make sacrifices for this."
As part of the basic renovation of the building was the inscription inked discreetly, so that today it is barely visible. Since the spring of 2009, has an information board by resolution of the Senate of the University of Tuebingen out that the university is about the horrors of the Nazi era and by the inscription of the distances expressed ideology.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 07:40:52 am by Barry the Nomad »

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 02:16:15 pm »
Awesome thanks a lot!

I would love to know who wrote this and his motives... It was written anywhere fancy, on the wall inside a blocked off Ammunition storage room nobody would really see which had been closed off at the end of World War 2 and then burried.

They found a few objects in there, nothing massively interesting old pots, pans, toothpaste tubes that kind of thing.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 02:19:36 pm by Sharky »
Made by SEGA

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 02:30:07 pm »
Probably there so that every time somebody is on their way to get some ammo, they see it and think "oh! I'm grabbing ammo to kill for my beloved homeland! I used to feel like shit, but now I feel great! Let's get some ammo!"

Offline Waffle

• Banned
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 05:52:56 pm »
I inquired someone German about it to see what they think.

Understanding the context is likely important here. I do not think it translates well to English. Barry proved that.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 05:54:39 pm by Waffle »

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 06:10:39 pm »
I'll try to get one of the German members from DCS to translate next time.

Offline sparedoor

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 01:36:01 am »
The text is a direct quote from Adolf Hitler's book, Mein Kampf (My struggle).

Wer sein Volk liebt, beweist es einzig durch die Opfer, die er fur dieses zu bringen bereit ist. The best translation is :

Anyone who loves his people, proves it only by the sacrifices he is ready to make for this (them).

Hope this helps

S