Author Topic: Summer Movie Trailer Thread  (Read 36417 times)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: Summer Movie Trailer Thread
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2011, 09:29:19 pm »
Every live action/CG adaptation of a beloved cartoon/comic strip from the past MUST have:

• Toilet humor
• Rapping/singing pop music
• Countless references to pop culture (bonus points if they are so current, they become obscure and irrelevant in 5 years)
• Set in the modern day
• The main characters go missing, get kidnapped and are lost in a major American city
• If there is a sequel, they go to Europe
• Terribly mismatched celebrity voice actors playing the main characters, despite there being readily available professional voice actors who could emulate the original voices

Garfield, Garfield 2, Scooby-Doo, Scooby-Doo 2, Yogi Bear, Marmaduke, Smurfs, Alvin and the Chipmunks, Alvin and the Chipmunks 2... the list goes on. :P Thank god they haven't fucked up Peanuts. If I ever see a CG Snoopy, I'll kill whoever is involved.

There are rare exceptions. The first Ninja Turtles movie was a great adaptation of the comics. It had hints of the cartoon, but wasn't too nutty and was actually far better than it deserved to be. Personally, I loved TMNT1 and enjoy TMNT2 despite the corny lines and Vanilla Ice cameo. The costumes were great. Good ol' Jim Henson.

The Flintstones movie was actually a very accurate adaptation. Any pop culture references were no different from the orignal show. How good the movie was is up to people's own opinions, but most people have to agree that it did a good job in being a live action version of the show. Now if only the Flintstones traveled through time, ended up in modern New York, went missing, sang a Lady Gaga song and Dino was voiced by John Hamm.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2011, 08:39:51 am »
Quote from: "Chaosmaster8753"
Coming from you, I'm not surprised.
Someone who has great taste in movies? Yeah me neither!

What exactly do you mean by that?
How can I make it more clear...

Um, X-Men never took place in a fantasy world...
Sure it did, it all took place in the hundred acre wood.

:|
Made by SEGA

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2011, 10:48:00 am »
Quote from: "Sharky"
How can I make it more clear...

Is it because the characters are younger? Because from what I've seen, it doesn't look like it uses a more "EXTREME" tone then the previous X-Men films.

Sure it did, it all took place in the hundred acre wood.

:|

....Please tell me you're joking.

Offline Sharky

« Reply #63 on: May 29, 2011, 11:29:36 am »

No seriously, it's a fact that Winnie the Pooh and the X-Men take place in the same universe, just different places in the wood. That's why there are so many cross overs.

Pretty basic X-men knowledge here.
Made by SEGA

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Total Meseta: 24
  • Smotrenfu!
    • http://www.CliveBarkerCast.com
« Reply #64 on: May 29, 2011, 02:20:05 pm »
I liked the Smurfs as a kid too, but it was a terrible show.  you could just as easily ruin the smurfs for yourself by watching the old cartoons as an adult.

Offline Sharky

« Reply #65 on: May 29, 2011, 04:13:37 pm »
Quote from: "Emmett The Crab"
I liked the Smurfs as a kid too, but it was a terrible show.  you could just as easily ruin the smurfs for yourself by watching the old cartoons as an adult.
You could look at it that way, or you could say, Why couldn't they have taken what was good about the Smurfs and made it better, taken what was bad about the Smurfs and made it worse.
Made by SEGA

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2011, 03:24:41 am »
Quote from: "Chaosmaster8753"
Coming from you, I'm not surprised.
Someone who has great taste in movies? Yeah me neither!

I think he means someone who has said a few times that 'Marvel comics are all rubbish' and then openly admitted that he had never read a single one and was basing his claim on absolutely nothing.

No seriously, it's a fact that Winnie the Pooh and the X-Men take place in the same universe, just different places in the wood. That's why there are so many cross overs.

Pretty basic X-men knowledge here.

I remember that issue where Pooh got into a fight with Wolverine, that was bullshit. Wolverine only won that fight because of his popularity, talk about plot armour. When Pooh ran him over with the steamroller that should have been over...

Offline Sharky

« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2011, 01:01:13 pm »
Quote from: "MadeManG74"

I think he means someone who has said a few times that 'Marvel comics are all rubbish' and then openly admitted that he had never read a single one and was basing his claim on absolutely nothing.

I'm pretty sure I openly admitted that I HAD read some... Since I have. My friend has hundreds, hes even covered the walls of his apartment with comic pages like wall paper. (Or come ot think of it maybe its real wall paper that looks like comic pages...)

Either way, it just isn't my thing. I do fine them all very similar, shoot me!

I remember that issue where Pooh got into a fight with Wolverine, that was bullshit. Wolverine only won that fight because of his popularity, talk about plot armour. When Pooh ran him over with the steamroller that should have been over...

Na I'm in the Wolverine won fair and square camp, Pooh should have had the foresight to know that a steam roller made of twigs and stuck together with honney was never going to crush an adamantium endoskeleton!
Made by SEGA

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2011, 07:05:44 pm »
[quote="Sharky]I'm pretty sure I openly admitted that I HAD read some... Since I have. My friend has hundreds, hes even covered the walls of his apartment with comic pages like wall paper. (Or come ot think of it maybe its real wall paper that looks like comic pages...)

Either way, it just isn't my thing. I do fine them all very similar, shoot me![/quote]

I thought you'd said you only 'flicked through' a few random issues? Maybe I misread, in any event I wasn't bashing you for not liking them, just saying why Chaos might have reacted how he did.

remember that issue where Pooh got into a fight with Wolverine, that was bullshit. Wolverine only won that fight because of his popularity, talk about plot armour. When Pooh ran him over with the steamroller that should have been over...

Na I'm in the Wolverine won fair and square camp, Pooh should have had the foresight to know that a steam roller made of twigs and stuck together with honney was never going to crush an adamantium endoskeleton!

I agree that was sloppy, but considering that Cyclops had been taken down by Tigger earlier in the story arc by that weird catapult contraption, it was clear that Dr Strange had put some magicks effect on the woodland materials. In fact if it wasn't for Cyclops visor fallin off and him obliterating half the forest with his beams Pooh wouldn't have even had the logs available to make that steamroller.

Offline Sharky

« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2011, 07:52:41 pm »
I thought you'd said you only 'flicked through' a few random issues? Maybe I misread, in any event I wasn't bashing you for not liking them, just saying why Chaos might have reacted how he did.
No you probably read right, when I say flicked through I usually mean 'read quickly' not actually flicked through the pages.

I agree that was sloppy, but considering that Cyclops had been taken down by Tigger earlier in the story arc by that weird catapult contraption, it was clear that Dr Strange had put some magicks effect on the woodland materials. In fact if it wasn't for Cyclops visor fallin off and him obliterating half the forest with his beams Pooh wouldn't have even had the logs available to make that steamroller.
But if it wasn't for Cyclops obliterating half the forest in the first place pooh wouldn't have had beef, dawg.

I'm already enjoying this tale more than the comics I've read, we should probably colaberate and make comic books...

probably!
Made by SEGA

Offline Chaosmaster8753

« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2011, 07:57:20 pm »

That's pretty much why I reacted like that.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #71 on: May 31, 2011, 02:18:08 pm »
X-Men First Class has been getting some great first reviews/impressions:
http://collider.com/x-men-first-class-review/92032/
http://www.superherohype.com/news/artic ... ass-review
http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/903732/ ... eview.html

Looks to have a great story and great acting. Can't wait to see it!

Offline Chaosmaster8753

« Reply #72 on: May 31, 2011, 04:24:52 pm »
Quote from: "Barry the Nomad"
X-Men First Class has been getting some great first reviews/impressions:
http://collider.com/x-men-first-class-review/92032/
http://www.superherohype.com/news/artic ... ass-review
http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/903732/ ... eview.html

Looks to have a great story and great acting. Can't wait to see it!

That's what I said a few posts ago.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2011, 04:21:31 am »
I am frankly surprised at that, I was expecting an even bigger dud than Wolverine with all the characters that were expected and the cast (Also Xavier is meant to be an inspiration to bald men everywhere fools!)

Still not sure if I would watch it though, was not too fond of the protrayal for several of the characters in the prior X-Men films (Especially how ruthless they made Magneto)

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #74 on: June 01, 2011, 05:22:22 am »
Yeah I was expecting a flop as well. Seems like people enjoy it though, even though it seems like it's straying pretty far from the source material.

(Also Xavier is meant to be an inspiration to bald men everywhere fools!)
As long as we still have Luthor!