Author Topic: Underrated/Unknown Sega games  (Read 5385 times)

Offline stevetheman90

• Total Meseta: 3
  • Welcome to the 'Fantasy Zone'! Get Ready!
Underrated/Unknown Sega games
« on: March 12, 2012, 08:36:22 am »
Hey people's I'm new to this forum so I wanted to start out by creating a new post. I'm not sure if this has been discused yet so if I'm copying some one my bad :(. Its quite obvious that Sega made a lot of games back in the 90s but not all of them are well known. Sadly, I have just discoverd the awesomeness that is GunStar Heroes. So the question I'm going to ask is do any of you know some great Sega games that are almost unknown or unpopular? It doesn't matter if it's old school console games or new next gem games as long as Sega is the developer or publisher. A good example is a game I have is Ranger X pretty solid 16-bit sega game with some unique concepts.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: Underrated/Unknown Sega games
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 08:44:03 am »
Hi and welcome! Great idea for a topic!

Regarding underrated/unknown SEGA games, I gotta give a shout out to Viking. Such a great old school-like game for the modern era. I love the graphics and the simplicity of the gameplay. Sort of reminds me of Jet Set Radio in that you roam about the world map and clean up areas. Really fun game and the price is so low nowadays that there is no reason not to own it:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJF-SHRCEDs[/youtube]

Offline stevetheman90

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 08:58:29 am »
Ironically, I just ordered this game last week wanting to give it a try probly getting it soon. I got a oldie from the Saturn remember Mr.Bones?

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 09:00:15 am »
I really think billy hatcher deserves alot more love than people give it. I know it may not be the best platformer out there, but it was a very good one. I personally at the time preferred it over games like mario sunshine (which I still think is a horrible game) and it reminded me alot of sonic, only with more emphasis on the platforming which I thought was really absent in sonic games at the time. The reviews for billy hatcher were bad as well, for reasons I can relate to, but no way did it deserve the low scores it got.

Billy hatcher is an amazing platformer with very good music in the style of what you would mostly find in SEGA games.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XFouQkvZ8k[/youtube]
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 06:51:38 am by CrazyTails »

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 09:45:36 am »
The Rub Rabbits!(DS): The much improved sequel to Feel the Magic: XY/XX. It doesn't get mentioned very much, but its so packed full of personality and fun.  Classic SEGA.

Dynamite Cop!(Dreamcast): A 3D beat-em-up, where you can use everything from a giant fish to a cannon as a weapon. Over the top and hilarious in every way. Very fun to play through with a friend.

Zombie Revenge(Dreamcast): I haven't seen this House of the Dead spinoff get much attention. It's a 3rd person beat-em-up like Dynamite Cop, but with a lot more shooting. The voice acting is also ridiculouly bad, and all the more fantastic because of it.

Ghost Squad(Arcade/Wii) and Confidential Mission(Arcade/Dreamcast): Two light gun games that are really good, but don't quite get the attention of a Virtua Cop/House of the Dead.

Cosmic Smash(Arcade/Dreamcast): Rez meets Breakout meets that frisbee duel in Tron Legacy. Solid arcade action, but really difficult to get ahold of.

Valkyria Chronicles II(PSP): Well known, but definitely underrated. The upgrades to the character classes, and the ability to fight on multiple fronts added a ton of strategy to an already amazing original game. Some were turned off by the fact that the story takes place in a military academy, but they do a really good job of exploring the fall out of the big reveals in the first title.  Civil war and racial tensions abound.  A lot of people didn't give it a chance because of the fact that it was on PSP, but it's a definite must play for any SEGA fan.

A few more slightly below the radar games that were a bit more below the radar, but have been talked about quite a bit are: The Typing of the Dead, Chu Chu Rocket!, Rez, and Space Channel 5: Part 2. All fantastic games.

I haven't had a chance to play Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love yet, but I've heard it's also really good.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 10:01:17 am »
Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love is very awesome. Pick up the PS2 special eiditon box, it's well worth it. I really need to return to the game. Part dating sim, part turn-based tactical RPG. I loved what I've played so far.

Offline stevetheman90

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 11:03:19 am »
Ok here are some videos of the games i mentioned.

Ranger X: The reason I bought this game back in the 90's was because of its cover art. This was the game I played most with my Nomad during plane trips to Florida . Had some cool tunes and its graphics where considered great at its time. I remember when I use to think the polygon intro was 3D, look how times have changed. It's game play was also unique it was a shooter/ side-scroller where you and your bike destroyed all. Not many of my friends with Genesis had this game so it seems like its not well known. I would recommend any one who still plays there Genesis/Nomad to get this.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a4/Ranger_X.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYMD-hyEECk 

Mr Bones: This game is just awesome its rock/blues/skeleton. Its not for everyone but if you like any of the three things I stated before get this, beware it is a bit 90's style corniness. Ronnie Monterose does the soundtrack so the music in this game is just awesome. Its graphics have aged pretty bad; it has the transition phase graphics, but still and interesting platformer to say the least. Another cool thing is when you get injured, parts of your body go missing and you can become a hoping torso. May not be the best game but it is unique.
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBJBAI8bMuI&feature=related     

Baku Baku: Id like to add one more game to the list Baku Baku. I can remember seeing this game on display in Epcot when I was on vacation, I just knew I had to get it. Its a basic puzzle game with a cool concept and funny sounds. It was fresh at its time and 3D. This is for the fans of Puyo, Columns and Mean Machine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GMzVGK0V5Y

Offline jonboy101

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 12:47:10 pm »
Alien Front Online was always a blast. You just go around and mindlessly blow the shit out of everything. The graphics, music and presentation were spot on for what they ought have been, and it played quite well. Also, unless I'm mistaken, it was the first console game to use the microphone during online playtime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJAWN2ozU3E

Lack of Love isn't a Sega game per se, but it is for the Dreamcast, and I would argue is very Sega-esq in its concepts and execution. The game follows a robot during the process of terraforming, and your character must survive the alien world by creating symbiotic relationships with the creatures already existing on the new world. The graphics are pretty decent, but the music is absolutely haunting and one of the best soundtracks on the Dreamcast. It is also a pertinent game with the ongoing struggles mankind faces with global warming and overpopulation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpmLp45Mwqk&feature=related

Napple Tale: Alisia in Daydream

Another Dreamcast game, Napple Tale was a 2.5D platforming game, developed by an all women developing team. It was, like Skies of Arcadia, not particularly groundbreaking in its particular genre, but was rather a paramount synthesis of what had already been accomplished. The music, like in Lack of Love, is absolutely gorgeous as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGk3Le8OwKQ

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 03:42:36 pm »
I've always wanted to play Napple Tale, but it's too damn expensive. Saw it for $80 at a game show a few years back. It goes for the same price on ebay. :P

Offline jonboy101

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 07:07:52 pm »
I've always wanted to play Napple Tale, but it's too damn expensive. Saw it for $80 at a game show a few years back. It goes for the same price on ebay. :P

I wouldn't say its worth 80 dollars, but its worth picking up for about 50 if you can find it.

Offline DeSade

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 03:34:29 am »
It's not developed by SEGA (although in the credits the developer's name is not specified) but i suggest a great, largely unknown game called Gekka Mugentan: Torico (Lunacy in the USA version).
It's a pre-rendered adventure game similar to Myst or D no Shokutaku.
Great atmosphere, massive soundtrack... a nice experience to play, only on Saturn  ;)

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 05:41:58 pm »
When you get down to it, any SEGA SATURN game can be considered an unknown game, since it never reached a wide enough audience.

Oh and yeah, Torico is one such game. It's basically a weird interactive movie. The puzzle solving can be also pretty curious, you see, you try to grab a rope and you get a cutscene of your unamed character trying to get to the rope high up, do it again and the cutscene just repeats itself. But on the fourth try, you sucessfully get it. Some of the puzzle solving actually works by trying another action more than once.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 11:13:18 am »
Some of mine would be

Pen Pen - DC

[youtube]AtHaSGoHnAw[/youtube]

So much fun and so wished SEGA published a sequel with on-line play

D2 - DC

[youtube]Or2j_7wp_WU[/youtube]

A much over looked classic that is worth buying for the hunting parts alone - No game as ever captured the feeling of being in a snowy landscape as well as this game

Switch - Mega CD
[youtube]tbfvRhlhybc[/youtube]

SEGA GT 2002 - Xbox

[youtube]0Crk1D0F0R4[/youtube]

The best racer of last gen imo

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure