Author Topic: The "Dude, What _____ Should I Buy?" Thread  (Read 27304 times)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: The "Dude, What _____ Should I Buy?" Thread
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2010, 05:57:28 pm »
MadWorld
Overkill
De Blob (even though De Blob 2 will be multiplat)
Resident Evil 4
Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2
Samba De Amigo
Sam and Max Season 1

etc etc

^ Exactly. I'm not a huge Wii fan myself, but to say the system is a waste, big time even, is untrue. As a 360 owner, I'm already able to play like 90% of the PS3's selection of good games. Wii, on the other hand, has tons as Mademan mentioned. Not to mention Colors (looks promising), the lightgun 2-pack and nearly every Wii game announced by Nintendo at E3.

I would say, however, that once Yakuza 4 arrives stateside and The Last Guardian releases, the PS3 will be much more interesting.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline Orta

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2010, 06:11:58 pm »
Quote from: "crackdude"
Not to mention all the great Gamecube games.

The ones ported from the Sega Dreamcast and Resident Evil 4?

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2010, 06:16:50 pm »
Mang's list is terrible and makes me hate the console more. If you are going to bring ports or the like into the argument then it is fair for me to mention PlayStation 3 lets you play over 15 years worth of thousands of outstanding games that you can generally find for less than even the cheapest WiiWare titles.

I like to play the occasional good game that is over five hours long, Wii has great games sure, but when you are going to compare literally the best Wii has to offer against multiple Yakuza games, stuff like Uncharted 2 or even just the Sly Cooper collection............

I do not really want to go into detail about it, but I do not know why anyone would consider getting a Wii over a PlayStation 3 when they are mostly interested in games with normal controls and stuff that appeals to our kinds of audiences.

Or get a GameCube for $20?

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2010, 07:28:45 pm »
Quote from: "Orta"

There's always Metroid Prime, Wind Waker, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, Pikmin 2, 1080 Avalanche, Battalion Wars, Eternal Darkness, F-Zero GX, Viewtiful Joe, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, Spider-man 2, and  Beyond Good & Evil.

A lot of people rag on Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes, and Luigi's Mansion, but they're solid games too.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2010, 07:45:46 pm »
Quote from: "Sega Uranus"
I do not really want to go into detail about it, but I do not know why anyone would consider getting a Wii over a PlayStation 3 when they are mostly interested in games with normal controls and stuff that appeals to our kinds of audiences.

$100 less, a library that isn't nearly the same as a 360 and a very promising E3 showing? I thought those were excellent reasons.*

Honestly I had no idea that my mentioning that I'm considering getting a Wii over a PS3 would cause so much rage here.

While I haven't mentioned Gamecube BC, and it isn't a huge selling point for me, I do like the fact that it plays games for the previous Nintendo console. PS3 can't claim to play games for the PS2 unless one hunts down a specific model. George's recently dying has turned me off to that plan.

*I'm not trying to say PS3 or Wii are better than one another, this is simply a "which to get first" thing.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2010, 07:57:44 pm »
I think most PS3s do actually play a good number of PS2 games through emulation though, like 360 and OG Xbox games.

In any event, I would go with the PS3 now, since you want a Blu-Ray AND you are getting a PS3 anyway. Yakuza 3, Uncharted 2, Valkyria and the others will keep you happy with it, then you can pick up a Wii as well later on.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2010, 08:02:23 pm »
Thanks for the thoughts mang!

Now, what gun should I buy?

Kidding! Although a rifle would be pretty awesome.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2010, 08:12:27 pm »
AK-47. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherfucker in the room, accept no substitutes.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2010, 08:19:30 pm »
Quote from: "Barry the Nomad"
$100 less, a library that isn't nearly the same as a 360 and a very promising E3 showing? I thought those were excellent reasons.

$100 less? You are buying a Blu-Ray player regardless, like you said. 'Promising' games are also not the same as 'Proven astounding games'. Your argument about it having the same kind of games as the Xbox 360 is kind of silly too when you point out that you basically want ports and upgrades of Dreamcast and arcade games on Wii.

Honestly I had no idea that my mentioning that I'm considering getting a Wii over a PS3 would cause so much rage here.

My opening comment on it was a joke, but I am honest when I say I am certain you will not like the console as much as you are thinking you will. Most of the games you you want are just passing interests anyways, why not get something you know you will love instead, like Yakuza 3? :D

While I haven't mentioned Gamecube BC, and it isn't a huge selling point for me, I do like the fact that it plays games for the previous Nintendo console. PS3 can't claim to play games for the PS2 unless one hunts down a specific model. George's recently dying has turned me off to that plan.

I mainly meant the original PlayStation which I like more anyways. If you do not want to look around for a decent-playing copy of something you may have missed out on like Ape Escape 1, you can buy it on the PlayStation Network for seven dollars. I also am certain Sony will add PlayStation 2 BC support again after they finally let the PlayStation 2 die out sometime next year.

*I'm not trying to say PS3 or Wii are better than one another, this is simply a "which to get first" thing.

Well I think my point that you can get new retail release bundles in with the console are very good. I am certain Nintendo will not have anything major for this in the Holiday seasons, so I think it would be best for you to strike then and there for a PlayStation 3, especially especially especially because you are certain you also want a Blu-Ray player. Why not just kill two birds with one stone and have all of this in one package instead?

Quote from: "George"
AK-47. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherfucker in the room, accept no substitutes.

Listen to this man, he is part of the Mexican Mafia!

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Total Meseta: 24
  • Smotrenfu!
    • http://www.CliveBarkerCast.com
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2010, 09:35:04 am »
Unless you plan to move the Blu-Ray player to another room after you get the PS3, the Blu-Ray player is a waste of money.  The wii's not as bad as Sanus made it out to be, though.  The casual games on it you can drag out when family comes over, and I love all the gun games on it.  The Wii has diminishing returns.  You'll play with it a lot at first, then less and less as time goes on.  For me, I use the PS3 almost daily for Blu-Rays, and you also get Valkyria Chronicles and the whole Yakuza series, if you have a BC model.  I find that the software BC model is just as good as a hardware BC model, so either one of them will play 90% of Ps2 games flawlessly--that's better BC than the 360-- but it takes a lot of research to get the right one, since they all look the same.

I buy most of my games on the 360, because of achievements and My friends don't own PS3's.  Trophies do nothing for me, because lots of games don't have them.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2010, 10:00:11 am »

I got the Wii at launch and the PS3 about a year and a half later.  Back then I'd say that was the way to go, because the PS3 was still stupidly expensive, and didn't have many games worth getting.
Now though, I'd say you're best to pick up the PS3 first. Not only because of all the extra media functionality, but because it does have a very solid, and quickly growing library.
I might suggest picking up the odd Wii game in the meantime before you get the system though. Some games aren't going anywhere (Super Mario Galaxy), but some of the less popular (but very good games) like Muramasa, Klonoa, Little King's Story, Zack & Wiki, No More Heroes 2, etc... might be though to find down the road.  Even House of the Dead 2&3 is tough to track down in stores now.

Offline Orta

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2010, 02:57:54 pm »
Quote from: "SOUP"
Quote from: "Orta"

There's always Metroid Prime, Wind Waker, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, Pikmin 2, 1080 Avalanche, Battalion Wars, Eternal Darkness, F-Zero GX, Viewtiful Joe, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, Spider-man 2, and  Beyond Good & Evil.

A lot of people rag on Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes, and Luigi's Mansion, but they're solid games too.

Multiplatform games, an overrated Zelda game, a FPS with poor controls, SSX (which is multiplatform too) is better than 1080 and so are the portable versions of Wars. I'll give you Eternal Darkness and F-Zero GX.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2010, 11:50:01 pm »
If you didn't like the controls in Metroid Prime, there's always the Trilogy pack on Wii. They integrated pointer controls to make it closer to an FPS.  It's definitely worth checking out though.
Donkey Kong Jungle Beat is one game that not a whole lot of people played, but it's got a really cool combo system built into a 2d platformer.  More about high scores than simply completing levels.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2010, 11:58:28 pm »
NINTENDO SUCKS COCKS
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 08:25:50 am by crackdude »
SEG4GES

Offline Orta

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2010, 03:31:18 am »
Quote from: "SOUP"
If you didn't like the controls in Metroid Prime, there's always the Trilogy pack on Wii. They integrated pointer controls to make it closer to an FPS.  It's definitely worth checking out though.

My other problem with Metroid Prime was the awful scan business. Scan scan scan scan. It made my finger hurt, that damn controller. I ended up selling the game.

Donkey Kong Jungle Beat is one game that not a whole lot of people played, but it's got a really cool combo system built into a 2d platformer.  More about high scores than simply completing levels.

I still have it, it's not anything special. The bongos make an interesting concept and that's about it.

The Gamecube is cool cause it's like Nintendo's Dreamcast. It tried some new things and has many unique and fun games.

Nintendo's Dreamcast? Oh Christ, take that back. Your silly is crossing the boundaries of the football thread, dude.  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

Also, a big FU to all of us for forgetting Monkey Ball.