Author Topic: NiGHTS into dreams... for XBLA/PSN/PC  (Read 49306 times)

Offline segaismysavior

• Total Meseta: 3
  • Martini in one hand, switchblade in the other
Re: NiGHTS into dreams... for XBLA/PSN/PC
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2012, 10:38:41 pm »
The effed up controls almost killed it for me, but I'm coping and still enjoying it. I don't remember them being that bad when I emulated the PS2 version. My top link count is around 20, which is a far cry from the 200+ I can get in some levels of JoD. Both the HD and Saturn versions look gorgeous compared to actually playing it on a Saturn.

Offline upsidedown fuji

• Chillin' with the Blue Rogues.
    • Upsidedown Fuji
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2012, 11:08:28 pm »
Yeah getting the hang of the HD version takes a little bit but I've managed some decent link combos so far. Just relax and don't fight the controls, it will come to you. :)

I've got to keep polishing my skills I want to stay in the top 50 for as long as possible. It would be nice to see myself in the top 10 some day on any level. At least I am scoring decently on my favorite level Soft Museum.

Offline Kori-Maru

• Total Meseta: 9
  • AMS Kagekidan sanjou-desu!
    • The Website of the Dead
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2012, 11:29:16 pm »
Matoko Uchida was right, he & his Sega China team did work on the port of this game. Check the credits.

www.thewebsiteofthedead.com ~ The House of the Dead Unofficial fan site

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2012, 02:12:58 pm »
Being new to the original NiGHTs. I played it safe throughout the levels and collected everything I could get (wasting time in the process), but now I think I'm getting the hang of it...the Christmas Level, despite being Spring Garden, clicked with me and I was suddenly getting faster and I finally obtained an A Rank for that level.

The same happened again on the proper Spring Garden too...hopefully I can A Rank everything within a few weeks.
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2012, 05:58:00 pm »
So is this any better than the Saturn version?

I only have Christmas Nights, and I feel I'm not very good at it. But it looks kinda.....shit..on a 32"lcd. I'm sure it looked hell better back in 90's tv, but it has so much going on it's kinda hard to make anything out of it.

Is the HD version superior in this aspect?
SEG4GES

Offline Kori-Maru

• Total Meseta: 9
  • AMS Kagekidan sanjou-desu!
    • The Website of the Dead
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2012, 07:16:11 pm »
@crackdude

In terms of graphics, yes. But you won't be able to play Christmas NiGHTS in Saturn Mode.

www.thewebsiteofthedead.com ~ The House of the Dead Unofficial fan site

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2012, 07:31:14 pm »
@crackdude

In terms of graphics, yes. But you won't be able to play Christmas NiGHTS in Saturn Mode.
What's the difference between Saturn mode and the "normal"?
SEG4GES

Offline upsidedown fuji

• Upsidedown Fuji
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2012, 07:44:43 pm »
What's the difference between Saturn mode and the "normal"?

Outside of graphic fidelity and draw distance? Nothing much. It plays absolutely the same and unlocks the same trophies/achievements as well as keeps track of your best scores uniformly. While it's a small oversight it's not so bad.

What I wish they did leave in was the Nightopian music box where you could remix level tracks from one of the unlocked presents in Christmas Nights. Other than that pretty much all the interesting stuff was left in... well unless you are attached to the Sonic Easter egg, he's not in. Most of us on here still own a Saturn or have access to emulation so it's not to hard to just play the originals for the missing stuff if we really want it. Honestly, the Sonic unlock was a novelty I only tinkered with once when I was a kid.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2012, 07:52:16 pm »
So basically this is better than NiGHTS on Saturn, but does not replace CHristmas NiGHTS.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2012, 07:57:33 pm »
Sounds good. Thanks guys, I'll buy it first thing next week.
SEG4GES

Offline upsidedown fuji

• Upsidedown Fuji
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2012, 08:22:36 pm »
So basically this is better than NiGHTS on Saturn, but does not replace CHristmas NiGHTS.

Well it's debatable if it's better or not. It comes down to if you're a stubborn purist or not. The reason I say this is that the control is indeed a bit off. It seems like the porting team translated the analog control into something hexagonal which takes away a little control. When you control NiGHTS in the HD version you won't be as accurate as on the Saturn version with the 3D pad. This may not sit well with NiGHTS veterans but it doesn't break the game. It is still very playable.

Compared to vanilla NiGHTS on Saturn it is superior with control issues aside in my opinion.

Offline SaturnineNights

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2012, 11:25:10 pm »
It seems like the porting team translated the analog control into something hexagonal which takes away a little control. When you control NiGHTS in the HD version you won't be as accurate as on the Saturn version with the 3D pad. This may not sit well with NiGHTS veterans but it doesn't break the game. It is still very playable.

My theory, and I've felt this since the PS2 release, is that the Saturn control pad was embedded in the controller, so controlling NiGHTS felt more fluid and *rounded* because the dent in the pad where your thumb rests is directly the fulcrum where the control is registered. Every other analog controller has been a stick mounted on that "ball" instead of being a literal "ball in socket." I think the fact that your point of contact with the controller is an inch away from the sensor, compounded with the fact that NiGHTS is an extraordinarily touch-sensitive game, is what produces this perceived disparity. (In 3D gaming, I can't think of any games more reliant on precision that frequently, NiGHTS changes direction constantly, most games played with these stick-on-ball controllers involve you pressing forward until you need to stop.)

I guess there'd be no way to determine this unless you could hook a Saturn 3D Control Pad to a PS2, PS3 or Xbox 360, but it's been my little theory for years. Hope I explained it accurately.

Offline segaismysavior

• Martini in one hand, switchblade in the other
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2012, 12:22:39 pm »
Holy crap crap on a crap cracker!

Updated controls and drill speed to better match the Saturn version?

Running to go try it now...

Offline JohnOfRage

• Total Meseta: 2
  • "Bare Knuckle"
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2012, 09:25:36 pm »
From what I saw of the game, it looks like they did a good job with it.

Offline ezodagrom

• Youtube Channel
« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2012, 11:40:03 am »
PC version is now available:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/219950/

Not even an announcement from SEGA, great marketing...