Author Topic: SEGAbits programming topic // master race code experts  (Read 27657 times)

Offline RegalSin

• Banned
Re: SEGAbits programming topic // master race code experts
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2014, 03:22:41 pm »
Yeah so I went back to my college to look for majors. Decided to ask around and bumped into an CS Math Professor. He said you need at least a Masters to get any real work ( even if you have an bachelors ). Even so they want your math skills to be on the level of an trigonametry at least ( not Physics ) What do you think????
<br><br>
Also
<br><br>
Maybe i should be thinking about electrical engineering. Dammit I just want something to make money and is not an certficate. But I also want something based on my studies. Speaking of which. I wish I knew I could have taken a cirtificate for my studies but my training is locked into the imagery. I wish I could go back for cartooning at least. That is the closest thing to illustration that is not "Europeanized-detailed-art ( the kind that is pro-anime ). Of course their is comics. I have two more years left of funding ( hopefully ). So what gives???
<br><br>
<br><br>
Speaking of programming resources with videogames. Checkout

C programming.net ???? They are the biggest resource of programming concerning internet right now.

PCE dev blogos

http://pcedev.blockos.org/viewforum.php?f=5&sid=ebfd324aa4e77d06600c97721dbd2e31

« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 03:31:00 pm by RegalSin »

Offline JRcade19

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2014, 03:26:56 pm »
Yeah so I went back to my college to look for majors. Decided to ask around and bumped into an CS Math Professor. He said you need at least a Masters to get any real work ( even if you have an bachelors ).

That sounds right to me. Bachelors has become a new Associates in CS. I've been hearing a lot of the same thing. A bachelors won't lock you out of work totally, but a MS definitely helps. It's what I'm personally going for through an accelerated BS+MS Degree at my University in about a year.

Even so they want your math skills to be on the level of an trigonametry at least ( not Physics ) What do you think????

Programming itself can really be done with basic high school algebra skills. Trig can be helpful, and the other fields are only really necessary as far as I can tell if you want some particularly heavy set work environments(but again it helps to have those skills anyway).
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 03:29:35 pm by JRcade19 »

Offline RegalSin

• Banned
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2014, 03:33:02 pm »
I will be honest. I just want this to have an edge in working in IT. Even though I know I can get an Certificate for that.

I am thinking about doing the reversal of what this other art person did who was in my field of studies.

Offline JRcade19

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2014, 03:38:47 pm »
Truthfully speaking, if you are knowledgeable about the material to a confident degree, I probably would give a shot at aiming for certification first before investing into anymore educational programs.

A degree is one thing, but a certification in applicability is another.

Offline RegalSin

• Banned
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2014, 04:42:58 pm »
I don't really have a choice in the matter. It more like pick your two years of studies and whatever it is. It is. I just need work to fund my work. I need real work. I need $30-$40 $40-$50 work that is real.

If I really wanted. I want to illustrate and draw stuff. Like for comics and things like that. It can be money making in that field but without the roof it is hell.

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2014, 10:30:01 pm »
Code: [Select]
function reverseArrayInPlace (array) {
  for (var i = 0; i < Math.floor(array.length / 2); i++) {
    var temp = 0;
    temp = array[i];
    array[i] = array[array.length - 1 - i];
  }
  console.log(array);
}

how come this works

var temp = 0;
    temp = array[i];
    array[i] = array[array.length];
  }
  console.log(array);
}

but this wont

What does adding - 1 - i do to make it work, when i think about i that seems like it would make it break if anything. If i remove - 1 and just do -i or vice versa it says undefined. or if i just do array.length it also says undefined.

someone explain the magic of arrays to me.

Edit: Found my answer...
the length property always returns:

The index of the last element, plus one

http://blog.caplin.com/2012/01/13/javascript-is-hard-part-1-you-cant-trust-arrays/
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 10:55:24 pm by Will »

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2014, 01:23:35 pm »
    var temp = 0;
    temp = array[i];
    array[i] = array[array.length - 1 - i];
  }
  console.log(array);
}

how come this works

var temp = 0;
    temp = array[i];
    array[i] = array[array.length];
  }
  console.log(array);
}

but this wont

What does adding - 1 - i do to make it work, when i think about i that seems like it would make it break if anything. If i remove - 1 and just do -i or vice versa it says undefined. or if i just do array.length it also says undefined.

someone explain the magic of arrays to me.

Edit: Found my answer...
http://blog.caplin.com/2012/01/13/javascript-is-hard-part-1-you-cant-trust-arrays/
You got it man. One thing though, what you've discovered there extends to pretty much any programming language, not just Javascript. Most numerically indexed arrays in any language start with 0 (not 1).

Good luck. Javascript is powerful, but I've seen some frustratingly arranged Javascript code. Luckily, jQuery exists to make it much more easy to work with.

Offline Happy Cat

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2014, 06:55:50 pm »
You got it man. One thing though, what you've discovered there extends to pretty much any programming language, not just Javascript. Most numerically indexed arrays in any language start with 0 (not 1).

Good luck. Javascript is powerful, but I've seen some frustratingly arranged Javascript code. Luckily, jQuery exists to make it much more easy to work with.

Thank you. and yeah JavaScript is kinda frustrating. I was thinking maybe I should learn a language that's considered a solid strong language, where as JavaScript isn't. Something that I can use to teach myself the fundamentals of programming and increase my understanding.

I've been lazy recently but what to get back into learning programming, would Python be a good choice? I see lots of people recommending it.

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2014, 08:23:48 pm »
I've never touched Python myself, but I've noticed it has a loyal following. Can't go wrong with C++ if you want that solid base though.

Pretty much all devices and Os have a c++ compiler, so you'd be able to code for anything and everything. It's hard, but it's really the master programming language from which all others are dummied down versions. Either way if you'd want my recommendation, I'd pick either: C++ (hard) or Java (easy).

If you dive into Python, let me know how it is.

Offline JRcade19

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2014, 08:31:45 pm »
Python is quick and easy.

Print("Hello World") in Version 3+
Print "Hello World" in version 2 or below.

C++ is a nice language...but it is HUGE and bloated IMO. Every OS and device for certain has a C compiler but despite being a much smaller language than C++, C is horrendously strict on syntax.

The good thing about strong and compiled languages is that they usually tend to produce better output whenever you run into an error and are more likely to teach you about how a computer works and how to think like one. However they tend to feel more "alien" and are less readable to most people.

Start with Python if you must to get a grasp on concepts, but don't rely on it exclusively. Python permits a lot of syntax and coding style that would be rejected or flagged in other programming languages. As a web programmer imo, the farthest you can probably go is Java in terms of run time and compilation. It is unlikely that you will need anything more such as C or C++ on the web.

It never hurts to learn them, but Java would be a safe barrier when you want to experiment with those languages after python.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 08:34:22 pm by JRcade19 »

Offline Happy Cat

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2014, 08:51:41 pm »
I'm following this tutorial. based Google
https://developers.google.com/edu/python/introduction

I've already learned about including external modules such as "sys" and using an if statement to detect if something is being executed through command line. Never did stuff like this in JavaScript, so I'm definitely learning. Was a bit intimidating looking at first but they got their examples commented well.

Offline Happy Cat

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2014, 01:06:33 am »
good tutorial here, although if you are using python 3 like I am you will have to alter things on your end, like the print statements and string.format
http://www.learnpython.org/en/Welcome

also just ordered this book:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DDZPC9S/

1600 pages, jesus! Got it digitally but man, i don't even want to imagine how heavy it is in physical form. Will certainly keep me busy for a while.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 01:10:09 am by Will »

Offline JRcade19

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2014, 09:17:44 am »
I personally tend to browse Archive.org now before I commit to purchasing a text most of the time.

I made exceptions such as for the K&R C book, and Programming style. Otherwise I found some pretty cool books on that site, even a few big ones such as the Art of Unix Programming.

I may or may not pick up another book on software tools soon. I might actually wait until next semester for it. In the meantime I'll probably end up downloading Code::Blocks and may try my hand at cross platform development.

Offline Happy Cat

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2014, 03:37:25 am »
I can't sleep. the thirst for knowledge is real. I was laying in bed and browsing youtube, got bored of watching the usual minecraft videos I like to watch and looked up programming for no reason in particular. Thought maybe I'd find something interesting. I discovered that MIT has recorded programming/computer science lectures and put them on youtube. It's so interesting to me I can't sleep, now im back up at my computer listening and watching to these videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX3jvD7XFPs&list=PLB2BE3D6CA77BB8F7

Offline JRcade19

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2014, 11:25:14 pm »
I can't sleep. the thirst for knowledge is real. I was laying in bed and browsing youtube, got bored of watching the usual minecraft videos I like to watch and looked up programming for no reason in particular.

Goood....GOOOOOD.....Let the thirst flow through you.

MIT also has an open education platform that distributes some course in full along with their materials!

Here is the list for python
Some are older than others.

Thought you mind find some of these interesting or helpful.