Author Topic: SEGAbits programming topic // master race code experts  (Read 27666 times)

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
Re: SEGAbits programming topic // master race code experts
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2014, 08:35:19 am »
Not really need help on this but I solved the problem myself but I thought I'd share anyway

So I'm designing the ingame shop system Brock can use to purchase power ups and health items. For the most part it all works perfectly... Except when I'm trying to get the shop owner to ask the player if they want to replace an item if they already have one in their inventory.

The way I've set up the system is that the first icon has values that basically tell the second icon (The decision maker) what item the player is buying. Through a process of secondary values for the second icon it decides at what point the player was.

First choosing an item (Deci 0) then if they would like to buy it (Deci 1) or if they don't have enough money (Deci 2) then if they want it in their backpack/on hand (Deci 3) agreeing to buy it (Deci 4) and finally if they need to replace what they have (Deci 5) and that's where it all went tricky. The first time the system asked the player if they want to replace the selected item. The value of the decision time activates/deactivates any unnecessary extra coding and all choices were limit condition (Only one action when events looped.)

So far so good, but then on the second attempt it just let's the player buy straight away! Tearing my hair out over what was wrong with the system, I finally decided to draw up a flowchart and figured I could do it with 3 step process rather than a five step one. Just as I was about to scrap the work, I saw what was wrong... The final choice was activated... And remained activated. Because I already put a limit condition on the line of code, the game couldn't redo decision 5 because it would looped, therefore it no longer needs to do it again, by activating/deactivating it ensures that the player will always be asked the replace item questions.

All this just to ask if the player wants to replace an apple with pizza! It's funny how the hardest problems are often the easiest ones to solve.

Offline JRcade19

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2014, 10:29:32 am »
And in the end...that is why the money is there.

Not because we can code...but because we can think as such. Even if it does tend to drive most insane.

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2014, 09:05:17 pm »
I've been a horrible student! not doing my homework or attending lectures! time to get studying again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLvTCHhu5SE&index=2&list=PLB2BE3D6CA77BB8F7

lol.

I really do want to know this stuff... i just gotta actually stick with it rather then forgetting about it one day

gonna refresh myself by watching lesson 2 and then take on some sample problems.

Offline JRcade19

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2014, 09:12:37 pm »
Glad to see those MIT links I've posted being put to good use =D.

Maybe I should try my own links for once hahaha.

Offline JRcade19

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2014, 11:39:14 am »
Double posting because of amazing happening.

Microsoft has announced Visual Studio 2013 community edition.

Q: How does Visual Studio Community 2013 compare to other Visual Studio editions?
A: Visual Studio Community 2013 includes all the great functionality of Visual Studio Professional 2013, designed and optimized for individual developers, students, open source contributors, and small teams.

This is seriously a megaton.

Offline olivergray

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2022, 03:58:27 am »
With its easy-to-use syntax and powerful features, SEGAbits is perfect for developers who want to create high-quality, efficient, mapquest directions and reliable applications.