Author Topic: Sega Financial Report, Q1: $30 million profit!  (Read 24741 times)

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
Re: Sega Financial Report, Q1: $30 million profit!
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2016, 04:58:55 am »
Yeah, unless Fire & Ice sells really well, I don't see the Sonic Boom series of games continuing. I really don't see the point at this point now that Classic Sonic is getting his own games. The point of 'Sonic Boom' was to reach a younger generation and I think REGULAR Sonic is fine enough.

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2016, 05:33:52 am »
Yeah, unless Fire & Ice sells really well, I don't see the Sonic Boom series of games continuing. I really don't see the point at this point now that Classic Sonic is getting his own games. The point of 'Sonic Boom' was to reach a younger generation and I think REGULAR Sonic is fine enough.

Unleashed was a huge step in the right direction, Colours was what people liked about unleashed and Generations was the fine tuning of that style. If anything, these games proved that Sonic can still be a great character without reinventing the entire cast. It really made little sense to do such a thing really and I think apart from the TV show, Boom will be done.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2016, 07:03:19 am »

How does that matter when sales show that casuals are the huge market? They made F-Zero GX for the gamecube and what happened? It didn't do well as expected.
If it was such a trouble for the Wii, then how did it sell so well? How did it make Nintendo profit in the first place? Again, if people who aren't motivated to play games like us somehow play and like them, that's big because guess what? half a billion don't play games like we do.

You need to look at this with a open mind because your obvious like of NCL is  cloud your views a little .  I'll say again why NCL could boast amazing Wii U Hardware sales , the trouble was the casuals only buy a handful of games that is no good to retail or 3rd parties and that's why software support dries up . Also in the Wii era NCL posted its 1st ever lost in its entire history thanks to poor sales .

Die hard gamers buy and support their systems each month, casuals simply do not.  That's not knocking casuals because yes you do need them, but as a gaming corp you must 1st please your core market and that's the core gamer as they are the ones that will buy software each month and that's why you get 3rd party and retail support .

F-Zero on the Cube was one of the hardest racers ever made  even for the main gamer   that alone were huge barriers along with no online functions and racers at time weren't for everyone  Ect . There's a reason why even with not the biggest Hardware sales XBox was well supported by 3rd parties and that's simple because MS nailed the main gamer and made a system for them (somthing which it lost site of with the One and Kinect)   

Same goes for Heroes as well on Gamecube I thin

No Sonic Heroes sold double on the PS2 to the Cube version. Sonic Gen sold better than Colors or the last world . Lost World was the 1st major  Sonic game in years not to sell over a million, hell even Sonic CD sold better .

Funny how you pretend to be a hypocrite to say that Sonic doesn't sell well on Nintendo and yet utter the word handheld being a different matter.

I'm simply pointing out the truth . Handhelds and consoles are different markets with  each one has different demands and needs . SONY dominated the console sector for  the past 3 decades with 2 of the best selling consoles of all time  and the best current selling console bar none  , yet in the Handheld world the Vita is sales letdown, the PSP totally outclassed by DS  . Handhelds and consoles are not the same at all

« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 07:09:46 am by Team Andromeda »
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Artwark

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2016, 05:22:54 pm »

You need to look at this with a open mind because your obvious like of NCL is  cloud your views a little .  I'll say again why NCL could boast amazing Wii U Hardware sales , the trouble was the casuals only buy a handful of games that is no good to retail or 3rd parties and that's why software support dries up . Also in the Wii era NCL posted its 1st ever lost in its entire history thanks to poor sales .

Die hard gamers buy and support their systems each month, casuals simply do not.  That's not knocking casuals because yes you do need them, but as a gaming corp you must 1st please your core market and that's the core gamer as they are the ones that will buy software each month and that's why you get 3rd party and retail support .

F-Zero on the Cube was one of the hardest racers ever made  even for the main gamer   that alone were huge barriers along with no online functions and racers at time weren't for everyone  Ect . There's a reason why even with not the biggest Hardware sales XBox was well supported by 3rd parties and that's simple because MS nailed the main gamer and made a system for them (somthing which it lost site of with the One and Kinect)   

No Sonic Heroes sold double on the PS2 to the Cube version. Sonic Gen sold better than Colors or the last world . Lost World was the 1st major  Sonic game in years not to sell over a million, hell even Sonic CD sold better .

I'm simply pointing out the truth . Handhelds and consoles are different markets with  each one has different demands and needs . SONY dominated the console sector for  the past 3 decades with 2 of the best selling consoles of all time  and the best current selling console bar none  , yet in the Handheld world the Vita is sales letdown, the PSP totally outclassed by DS  . Handhelds and consoles are not the same at all

I'm not going to bother posting anymore after this because clearly, you are claiming that hard core gamers buy games everyday which isn't exactly true as core gamers are getting less these days. Look at the community of Streets of Rage, you think SEGA ever cares about bringing back that IP? no and the fans already know that its gone for good.

Also, the reason Sony dominated the console market isn't because they have so many hardcore games. Its because the systems have a wide library of games both for hardcore and casual gamers and not to mention the fact that Sony and Microsoft are huge companies unlike "NCL" here so obviously they get the upper hand.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2016, 11:38:50 pm »
Unleashed was a huge step in the right direction, Colours was what people liked about unleashed and Generations was the fine tuning of that style. If anything, these games proved that Sonic can still be a great character without reinventing the entire cast. It really made little sense to do such a thing really and I think apart from the TV show, Boom will be done.
I think the issue with Sonic Boom, outside of changing up the looks and a few of the friend's attitude, its still Sonic. His attitude, sense of humor and all that is Sonic. I don't mind that Knuckles got a more 'dude bro' vibe to him because I felt like the character has suffered since after Sonic Adventure 2 from having his own personality. I felt basically that Shadow was what Knuckles was always mean't to be, the antihero. He was totally changed tho and lacked a personality for a long time.

I think Shadow is also lacking a personality that is likable. He is always just pouting around and not doing much.

Offline Tad

« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2016, 12:15:11 am »
They do seem to struggle with giving reason for their characters. I mean, really, unleashed could have scrapped the werewolf and used Knuckles. He is somewhat a fighter after all.

With Shadow, I think they tried, but with the amount of plot holes in SA2, it just didn't work. I probably would have had him be a victim myself.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 12:26:40 am by Tad »

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2016, 04:40:41 am »

I'm not going to bother posting anymore after this because clearly, you are claiming that hard core gamers buy games everyday which isn't exactly true as core gamers are getting less these days. Look at the community of Streets of Rage, you think SEGA ever cares about bringing back that IP? no and the fans already know that its gone for good.

Not every week, but every month or so . Walk into to any shop or go online to the Major game retails and see the XBox One and PS4 far better support with software and hardware and their sections taking pride of place , that was much the case even in the Wii days . The reason is quite simple.. casuals don't not buy software in great numbers at all .

So casuals are great for hardware sales not great for software sales and software is where retail and 3rd parties make their money.

Look at the community of Streets of Rage, you think SEGA ever cares about bringing back that IP? no and the fans already know that its gone for good.
I really don't know why you want to bring up the likes of SOR . The series fell out of favour in the 16 bit days , SOR III wasn't a great seller (despite it being a much better game than part II)  Even in the 16 bit days people were starting to fall out of love of paying £50 for a scrolling beat them up that could be finished in one sitting. That's the reason why SEGA didn't want to go near the series in the 32 bit or Dreamcast days .

Also, the reason Sony dominated the console market isn't because they have so many hardcore games[/[/size][/font]

Again missing the point . I'm about how SONY completely  dominated console sales, yet in the Handheld it's been totally outclassed; so the 2 markets are not the same . SONY yes had appealed to both the casuals and die hard gamer - that's because SONY make powerful hardware and all support the system with a huge amount of games . My point is MS XBox One was totally outsold by the PS2, but it was still well supported by retail and 3rd parties  because the  gamer bought the system and they are always the one that go out and buy software each month something which the casuals do not

NCL big troiuble and issue is it does little to appeal to die hard gamer with weak spec's, weak In House support (if terms of number of games) lack of grown up looking games and lame Online fuctions

Sony and Microsoft are huge companies unlike "NCL" here so obviously they get the upper hand
Please stop that lame load of tosh. NCL have more than $13 billion dollars in the bank (not even SONY got that sort of cash reserves)  SONY doesn't have the upper hand at all in the handheld. NCL main trouble is fans like you always making excuses and covering up for their obvious failings and lapping it all up each and every time . 

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2016, 04:45:32 am »
They do seem to struggle with giving reason for their characters. I mean, really, unleashed could have scrapped the werewolf and used Knuckles. He is somewhat a fighter after all.

With Shadow, I think they tried, but with the amount of plot holes in SA2, it just didn't work. I probably would have had him be a victim myself.

I can see why Shadow bits were done and that's was to stop people racing through the levels and finishing the game quickly - Which is an issue for Sonic games - It must play fast and flow well that can mean us racing through the game . I think the Shadow levels were there to stop that and try and add depth - It just wasn't finished and the game still brought out .

I still think the game is quite good and people just making a far bigger deal out of it , than what it really is. Just becasue its become cool to jump on the anti Sonic bandwagon; like it is for COD and RE - Even RE 6 wasn't as bad as the internet makes out 
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Tad

« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2016, 07:13:31 pm »
I think that's the trick though. You can complete most of the classic Sonic games fairly quickly really, but people still go back and replay them to find new shortcuts, items etc and have fun. It's the same with Colours and Generations when you look at them.

I think SA1/2 in a way has fallen victim to the changes in the industry. In the 90s, all types of platformers were flying around and getting success commercially and from the media. Despite the criticism they receive now, both SA1 and 2 got good reviewers on their initial release, but during the early 00s, the industry seemed to be changing quite rapidly as the technology got better and people seemed to want games that really show it off like FF10 and MGS2 - SEGA'S equivalent in this was probably Shenmue.

As this was going on, platformers seem to start drying up and by the 360/PS3 gen, we had Mario and Sonic with it's old fanbase and the odd title here and there. Heck, even Rare couldn't get platformers to sell during this time. The rise of the indie scene where smaller projects can thrive seems to have changed that though.

Time hasn't been to kind to SA 1/2, but back on release, the industry was a different one to what it is now. It's worth remembering that.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2016, 04:20:58 am »

I think SA1/2 in a way has fallen victim to the changes in the industry. In the 90s, all types of platformers were flying around and getting success commercially and from the media. Despite the criticism they receive now, both SA1 and 2 got good reviewers on their initial release, but during the early 00s, the industry seemed to be changing quite rapidly as the technology got better and people seemed to want games that really show it off like FF10 and MGS2 - SEGA'S equivalent in this was probably Shenmue.
Time hasn't been to kind to SA 1/2, but back on release, the industry was a different one to what it is now. It's worth remembering that.

You right, I think people just got sick and tired of racing games and platform games and were looking for something new , even the Mario 3D sales in that age weren't quite l like they were in the old days, in fact I'm pretty sure GTA III outsold Mario Galaxy in Japan for a period of time. Open world type games started to take over for a time

These days there is such a lack of good 3D platform game that if you make a really good one there is a chance you can enjoy decent sales , but it really hard for the Sonic Team to make levels than one can racer through and flow and then also trying to add depth and game value. I remember a interview with the Sonic Team saying that the 3D sections of Sonic Adv were some 4 times the size of typical 3D platformer to accommodate Sonic speed  .
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Tad

« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2016, 05:03:12 pm »
I'd add Rare into that same bucket as SA1/2 back then too. With the success of indie games in the industry, I think we'll start to see more different types of genres getting attention now. A Hat in Time is a promising looking 3D platformer, Ex-Rare's game, Yooka-Laylee is looking brilliant, countless 2D games and many more seem to appearing now.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 12:05:35 am by Tad »