Author Topic: What if Disney bought SEGA?  (Read 8100 times)

Offline Dreampool

• Total Meseta: 0
What if Disney bought SEGA?
« on: November 08, 2017, 11:26:57 am »
What if Disney bought SEGA?

With that kind of backing, SEGA would be able to resurrect dead franchises like Skies of Arcadia, Streets of Rage and Jet Set Radio. It will also be easier for them to turn their most beloved brands into films.

Offline NiGHTSDrEAMS

Re: What if Disney bought SEGA?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 12:28:03 pm »
If that ever happened maybe on Disney property they can bring back SEGA World. Arcade games and rides with SEGA ideas and Disney technology.

Offline pcm92

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 08:59:29 pm »
It's always just hopeful speculation when someone says another company will purchase Sega. Throughout the years, people have suggested that Disney, Nintendo, Sony, Toshiba, and numerous other companies should buy Sega.

It is a fun thought, but Sega currently can't do very much even as a third party company.  They are releasing awful games, ignoring great franchises, and have a limited production team.

I wouldn't doubt it if they went bankrupt sometime in the near future.

Offline Artwark

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 11:47:42 pm »
It's always just hopeful speculation when someone says another company will purchase Sega. Throughout the years, people have suggested that Disney, Nintendo, Sony, Toshiba, and numerous other companies should buy Sega.

It is a fun thought, but Sega currently can't do very much even as a third party company.  They are releasing awful games, ignoring great franchises, and have a limited production team.

I wouldn't doubt it if they went bankrupt sometime in the near future.

But that's exactly the reason why SOMEONE needs to buy SEGA. So that they can revive the golden mine that SEGA is stuck with. I know very well that SEGA has no interest in atleast porting Skies of Arcadia on Steam one god damn bit.

But now now...don't mention the word bankruptcy here in this forum site because well the fanbase says it all. Also, I think it would take SEGA atleast 50 Sonic crappy games to cause them to have loss of revenue in which case, they might end up like Capcom requiring a potential hit to save them.

On a more serious note, yeah I do agree that SEGA is more or less a mix bag. You see them making occasional gems like Sonic Mania but then you see them make thrash games like Valkyria Revolution for about like 80% of the time.

And no, Atlus games do not excuse SEGA's lack of quality because they only make one specific genre and only one specific genre.

Offline OriginalName

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 08:18:45 am »
I wasn't aware that Sega was even doing that badly lately, financially speaking. If it weren't for a rough patch with Sonic Forces and Valkyria Revolution, I don't think that the quality of their software has really been poor lately either. I've said this in a few places, but if I were Sega I'd have gotten rid of Takashi Iizuka years ago. Terrible director, and a bad designer too, going back to the Carnival Night Zone barrel days. Mania proved that there are a LOT of people out there who can do a better job with the franchise than he and his team have done. Outside of Sonic, the only poorly-received game that Sega's put out for a long while was Revolution, and they didn't develop that game themselves.

Outside of Sonic Team's output, when Sega develops their own games, they're a good developer. You look at their worst games as of late, and they're by and large games they farmed out to less talented studios (like Valkyria Revolution and, even worse, Sonic Boom). I know they're not the same company as they were before the Sammy buyout, but there seems to be a great deal of talent remaining at Sega (as evidenced by Yakuza, Puyo Puyo, and Hatsune Miku) undone by a lack of confidence in either the market or themselves.

If I were King President of Sega, I'd A.) focus on handheld development for the time-being; the console space is dominated by huge dollars that Sega doesn't have and a western-centric culture, and the wild-west mobile market makes new ideas too much of a gamble, B.) divide the Puyo Puyo / PSO developers out of Sonic Team and retool the Sonic staff completely -- you can make excuses for that team all day, but it's clear that there are other people out there who can do this better than they can, C.) take cues from Platinum Games as a developer (you can't have a hit if you don't do everything you can to stand out) and from Nintendo's logic as a publisher during the Nintendo DS days -- quality, quantity, and creativity rules supreme.

As much as I love NiGHTS into Dreams..., Skies of Arcadia, Jet Set Radio, Streets of Rage, Panzer Dragoon, Shining Force, Virtua Fighter, and Shinobi, the most important thing is to be interesting and stay in the public consciousness, whether it's with a nostalgic product or a brand new one.

They don't need Disney now. That's just going to drive this culture of trying to pump out two blockbusters a year. Sega should be spending less money, being more creative, and building a fanbase that's always willing to pay the price for the next game just to see what's next; I think the Disney culture would just complicate things and slow their production down even further with the expectation that they have to create a mega-hit (look how that worked out with Disney Universe). If anything, they haven't needed a merger/buyout from anyone other than maybe Bandai in '97, and ANYONE but Sammy in '04.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 08:26:02 am by OriginalName »

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 05:20:49 am »
Focus on handhelds and mobile is whats killing SEGA Japan for me. Gone are the days when SEGA Japan was not only making great games, but also leading the way with tech too and has it really helped, every time I see the mibile charts SEGA Japan are nowhere and the likes of Namco, Konami, Square doing far better. Sammy is slowing killing SEGA Japan, their output just isn't good enough and not enough people care about SEGA anymore.

One only needs to look at this site, hardly anyone talks about new SEGA games anymore, that really says it all
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 06:42:08 pm »
Considering what Disney did to Lucasarts, no thanks.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline NiGHTSDrEAMS

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 09:07:54 pm »
Considering what Disney did to Lucasarts, no thanks.

What do you mean?

Offline Dreampool

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 12:28:38 am »
There are incredible properties, from Streets of Rage to Sonic, that would offer Disney huge opportunities in everything from film to theme park attractions. Sega, when looked at through the lens of an acquisition, is a bundle of amazing, well-known characters and worlds that are criminally underused.

If you want to look at what Disney can do for a character, look at the mainstream's acceptance of Iron Man. In 2008, Iron Man was known mostly to comic book fans and was considered to be something of a B-List hero in comparison to someone like Wolverine. Now Iron Man is one of the best known, and most profitable, characters in Marvel's impressive arsenal. All it took was a few great movies and a huge marketing push.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 02:15:55 am »
There are incredible properties, from Streets of Rage to Sonic, that would offer Disney huge opportunities in everything from film to theme park attractions. Sega, when looked at through the lens of an acquisition, is a bundle of amazing, well-known characters and worlds that are criminally underused.

This is Disney that closed down various gaming studios and really shown little interest in being a major player in mainstream gaming, they'll hardly be any better than Sammy. I much rather see Ubisoft buy the SEGA empire given how they continue to expand their teams and allow the widespread use of AAA projects.

Mind you I still live in hope that one day Sammy will allow SEGA to once again focus on the consoles, rather than mobile (that secton should be outsourced) . I do remember being told by some on this board, that consoles were dead and mobile was the future of gaming. Only to see the PS4 go on to be a sales monster, even the so-called flop that is the X Box on course to outsell the Mega Drive while SEGA can't even make it into the top 10 mobile rankings.

Fab leadership by Sammy I must say. Get the teams and the pipelines on the current gen consoles and start to make the odd 1 or 2 AAA games again. Get people looking forward too and talking of current next gen SEGA titles, rather that to question if its outsourced or coming to mobile

« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 02:18:31 am by Team Andromeda »
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 03:36:55 pm »

What do you mean?

Lucasarts was closed and all games cancelled.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 02:16:47 am »

To be fair though, that was already happing before the Disney buyout. Not that Disney have a great record after what they did to the likes of Climax
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline NiGHTSDrEAMS

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 08:42:56 am »

That's true but I figured that would only be temporarily. Plus Star Wars was more known for the movies than games, (but I loved the games as much as the next person) but SEGA is a gaming company, so I'm pretty sure that Disney wouldn't stop them from making games. If anything I think the funding from Disney would help SEGA.