Author Topic: Did the industry die along with Sega? Discuss!  (Read 32342 times)

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
Re: Did the industry die along with Sega? Discuss!
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2013, 12:16:42 pm »
When the Teams were split into 9 subs they each had their own funding and budgets to handle and that sparked a real golden age of creativity .  These days we hardly know the teams , what they're up too or what the hell have happened to the likes of AM#1.
Even in the old SEGA enterprises days the teams still have their own identity and each with 3 or 4 lines . These days , even the major teams seem to only have 2 lines and their output is way short of what we came to expect from SEGA

The days when Sega had 9 teams all with console games, and barely reliance on publishing other peoples games, only lasted from about 2000-2002 (with preperation for games before).

Most of the times, Sega had 3 console teams, and 3 Arcade teams, AM4's Spikeout could be put into AM2, and AM5 Sega Rally games, and Touring Championship were pretty much part AM3.

Oh and AM1 is practicilly Sega China these days, with dev support (Sonic games, PSO2), Ports, and their own Arcade games (Golden Gun, Transformers Arcade game, K.O Drive).
And they have a second pipeline that does constant updates on the Sengoku Taisen Arcade game (and some other things).

And consolidation had to be done, itwas easier putting out a ton of games back then and required far less people.

That shouldn't come into it really. Each Yakuza gets a lavish budget and a huge team , yet the tech is often outclassed by  the likes of FromSoftware can come up with ( with just 400 staff) , never mind the tech behind Lost Planet and so on .

Yakuza is expected to sell 500k and the games you mentioned 1mil. Yakuza had 1 year dev cycle, and the others 2 years and are aimed worldwide. Sure that has some influence on the overall quality.

Not asking for that . Just for SEGA to build on some of the engines its already made and share the tech between the Teams - get a good pool of tech and the piple lines up to speed  . It's sad that tech like Canvas and Hedgehog wasn't built on and improved for 2nd and 3d generations of game- Like Ubi did with Anval or Capcom did with the Framework .

I would agree.

Yes by $25 Million dollars

Then how come Sega from 2008-2012 brought out so many games; as much as they had in the console years? R&D Money is not just for in-house and Sega Japan.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2013, 12:36:45 pm »
So how else is one meant to interpret that SONY 'owns' the next generation and how did we put it... They're F-in 'unstoppable' . That's not grounded talk to me 

I was unaware that the eighth generation was only going to last for a month.

Furthermore, I realise the two of us share the same forename minus a W in the place of V, but CrazyTails and I are two totally different people.

You would do well to grasp who you are debating with and address their points instead of some imaginary argument the two of us are having.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2013, 03:11:36 am »
I was unaware that the eighth generation was only going to last for a month.

And I was unaware that the next generation was meant to last for just a month , makes you wonder why they bother  ::).

Most of the times, Sega had 3 console teams, and 3 Arcade teams, AM4's Spikeout could be put into AM2, and AM5 Sega Rally games, and Touring Championship were pretty much part AM3

In those times teams like AM#1 had 4 speprate lines, AM#3 had 3 seprate lines all with each line working on 1 to 2 totally seprate games for other lines inthe same team . SEGA was just simply more productive in those days .

And they have a second pipeline that does constant updates on the Sengoku Taisen Arcade game (and some other things)

C'Mon compared to the old AM#1 which used to push out a huge number of games for the Arcades they're just a shadow of the old AM#1 .

Yakuza is expected to sell 500k and the games you mentioned 1mil. Yakuza had 1 year dev cycle, and the others 2 years and are aimed worldwide. Sure that has some influence on the overall quality.

Demon Souls wasn't made with a million sales in mind it was a new IP and a Huge risk a lot of Fromsofware games aren't made with huge sales in mind - They just seem like a well run team in trems of their R&D tech and next gen piple lines .

But you're spot on with Yakuza - Yearly development is a sure way to kill the Team, kill inovation and kill any hope are a real serious development in tech and I think its showing

Then how come Sega from 2008-2012 brought out so many games; as much as they had in the console years?

SEGA Japan development very little In-House and very little in terms of new IP for the next gen consoles . The big trouble for SEGA Japan is its got very little to offer the next gen consoels in terms of IP that gamers the world over want to play and going forward that's going to be a huge issue . We will soon had children that have no knowlege or will have any experince of a SEGA console and sure in Japan with Yakuza and SEGA in the Arcades that's not so much an issue but in the West ?

The way its going SEGA won't have many IP to update or remake in 20 years that people will want to play again . SEGA Japan really needs to start making new IP and IP that can work the world over and where lots of gamers play them

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2013, 04:01:57 am »
And I was unaware that the next generation was meant to last for just a month , makes you wonder why they bother  ::).

You are implying I said Sony is going to dominate the eighth generation, I did not.

Again, stop mixing people up and projecting them all as various individual personalities of me.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2013, 04:53:32 am »
You are implying I said Sony is going to dominate the eighth generation, I did not.

Really and how does this read to you then ?

Sony really owns the next generation. Wow at every single move they've done so far. They're un-fucking-stoppable

Again, stop mixing people up and projecting them all as various individual personalities of me

I'm not at all .

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2013, 04:54:41 am »

Again, stop mixing people up and projecting them all as various individual personalities of me.
Ahh,i'm glad i'm not the only one to notice that.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2013, 05:54:56 am »
Really and how does this read to you then ?

I'm not at all .

Oh deary me, thank you for proving my point that you hardly seem to read the username and just jumble everyone together to counter one particular user's points. That quote should be associated with CrazyTails.

Sony really owns the next generation. Wow at every single move they've done so far. They're un-fucking-stoppable

So now that I have proved you undeniably wrong can you please stop trying to merge me and CrazyTails as one person (We do not even have similar writing styles) and stick to debating in a proper manner.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2013, 10:04:34 am »
Oh deary me, thank you for proving my point that you hardly seem to read the username and just jumble

No it just far easier to copy and paste, than separating parts of the post you want to respond if you use  the quote button, well to me anyway .

That quote should be associated with CrazyTail

Yes I'm sorry .

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2013, 10:11:14 am »
No it just far easier to copy and paste, than separating parts of the post you want to respond if you use  the quote button, well to me anyway .

Yes I'm sorry .

Yes, that's right. TA got owned and pwned by Arsene Wenger, i mean Aki.