Author Topic: Why Christianity is dying in the U.S.  (Read 45290 times)

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
Re: Why Christianity is dying in the U.S.
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2013, 05:38:43 pm »
I'm not discussing my religious views on this thread, because these topics always end in fruitless discussion. Just remember not to disrespect others when talking about your own personal beliefs.

George, don't say things like "most of the scripture its based on is false". It borders trolling for replies, because for many people the scripture is true.

I personally do not believe that education is the reason for the religious decline. I study Physics and the more some study the more they believe in god, while others is the exact opposite. People will use what they learn to convince themselves their choices in life are the right ones, those choices not necessarely come from education.

Interestedly enough, the bible predicts there will be a time very near the end when religion as a whole will cease to exist. So in all irony, the decline of religion is actually playing the part of fulfilling one of the bible's prophecies.

People are simply abandoning the concept of a god who sees and judges everyone's actions so they can live their lifes the way the choose to without a guilty conscience. Coincidentally, morality is down the drain, religious people or not.
SEG4GES

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2013, 10:13:31 pm »
Its hard to swallow scripture that is thousands of years old and most of it has been proven to be false (Earth being the center of the universe etc). I think religion is great, I love it myself. I study many religions and have read many texts. I like the culture, but I'm frankly very surprised that our generation believes any of it.

Not that its 'negative' or 'less intelligent' to follow a religion, I have many religious friends and I'm 100% OK with them believing in a higher power. Its just that the Quran and Bible and other 'religious' texts screams so much of the time period that it would be ignorant to not to (at least) suspect that its not the ACTUAL word of God. I mean, passages of 'angels coming down with shields and swords' and all that nonsense? Earthquakes being said that 'God did it' for people's sins? Sounds like the republicans blaming hurricanes on homosexuals, even though we know how hurricanes happen.

I think its great for culture, but to live by now-a-days is a bit weird IMO.

This is not even getting into the topic about the fact that the Bible 'aka word of God' has been changed so many times throughout history and much of what we talk about has been added (like 'Hell' and 'damnation' has been greatly over-saturated by word of mouth compared to whats actually in the bible)

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2013, 05:22:15 am »
Well, I don't remember the Bible saying that the Earth is the center of the Universe.. I do know it states that the Earth is round and is suspended without anything holding it (both of these ideas were on the bible centuries before science could actually prove them)

As you can probably tell, I do believe in the Bible. And maybe you'll be surprised but I agree with you: so much as been added to it that it's hard to understand and believe in such teachings.
As you probably know, the Catholic Church has been incorporating pagan teachings on the "word of god" since the third century. That means that the hugest "christian" religion is a complete clusterfuck of teachings (Jesus is god, came down to earth and prayed to himself, how does this even make sense)

But, by studying what the bible truly says you'll find that it has a lot going for it: fulfilled prophecies, historical and scientific accuracy, and powerful advice to have a peaceful lifestyle.

In the context of most religions, I can see why people don't take it seriously. And I respect that
SEG4GES

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2013, 09:14:49 am »
You know what's dying faster than Religion? Pandas...
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2013, 05:51:05 pm »
For real? Pandas are dying? Why?
SEG4GES

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2013, 07:57:29 pm »
Because God hates pandas.

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Total Meseta: 24
  • Smotrenfu!
    • http://www.CliveBarkerCast.com
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2013, 03:10:31 am »
At the council of Nycea they actually voted on what books would go into the Bible and what would be left out, and more than that, they voted on whether Jesus was a god or a prophet. 

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2013, 06:05:58 am »
For real? Pandas are dying? Why?

They have a rather hard time trying to impregnant each other.

It's a miracle they even exist in the first place!

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2013, 06:26:35 am »
They have a rather hard time trying to impregnant each other.

It's a miracle they even exist in the first place!

Some say Noah saved the population by bringing 6 Pandas despite God's rule of "2" of every animal. lol

Of course I'm kidding there, but Aki's right...Panda's can't be bothered to "do" it. They have a small window to become Pregnant I believe (36 hours I believe). Plus they're slow as hell, so trying to court one into sex is ridiculous.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2013, 07:14:06 am »
Well, I don't remember the Bible saying that the Earth is the center of the Universe.. I do know it states that the Earth is round and is suspended without anything holding it (both of these ideas were on the bible centuries before science could actually prove them)

As you can probably tell, I do believe in the Bible. And maybe you'll be surprised but I agree with you: so much as been added to it that it's hard to understand and believe in such teachings.
As you probably know, the Catholic Church has been incorporating pagan teachings on the "word of god" since the third century. That means that the hugest "christian" religion is a complete clusterfuck of teachings (Jesus is god, came down to earth and prayed to himself, how does this even make sense)

But, by studying what the bible truly says you'll find that it has a lot going for it: fulfilled prophecies, historical and scientific accuracy, and powerful advice to have a peaceful lifestyle.

In the context of most religions, I can see why people don't take it seriously. And I respect that
You know. I like to be totally objective during subjects like these. But I agree with you here. As a Muslim(s) we believe in the original scriptures, being it the tora or the original message of jesus(bible) as well. And see them as legitimate messages from the prophets and god. It's funny how very similar both religions(christianity and islam) become when this key difference dissapears.

Offline pcm92

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2013, 01:19:22 pm »
You know. I like to be totally objective during subjects like these. But I agree with you here. As a Muslim(s) we believe in the original scriptures, being it the tora or the original message of jesus(bible) as well. And see them as legitimate messages from the prophets and god. It's funny how very similar both religions(christianity and islam) become when this key difference dissapears.

I have not noticed much difference from Islamic people and Jewish people. I mean, they both believe in Jesus, they just both don't believe He was the Messiah. They both believe in the same God. Do they not have the exact same belief?

Offline nuckles87

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2013, 10:32:37 pm »
Its hard to swallow scripture that is thousands of years old and most of it has been proven to be false (Earth being the center of the universe etc). I think religion is great, I love it myself. I study many religions and have read many texts. I like the culture, but I'm frankly very surprised that our generation believes any of it.

Actually, the earth being "the center of the universe" was a scientific observation not necessarily rooted in the Bible. It was called geocentric theory, and had been around since ancient Greece.

I have not noticed much difference from Islamic people and Jewish people. I mean, they both believe in Jesus, they just both don't believe He was the Messiah. They both believe in the same God. Do they not have the exact same belief?

Jews believe Jesus and Muhummad were mere prophets. The New Testament and the Quran are not "canon" to our religious scripture. Though they all technically believe in the same monotheistic God, they scripture surround him is very different depending on the religion. So they most certainly do not have the exact same belief.

That being said, even Orthodox jews like my cousin Stevey say that we are not meant to take the Torah (or the Old Testament) literally.

Anyway, since when is Christianity "dying"? Still seems pretty healthy to me. Maybe doesn't rule the entire country like it used to, but its not dying.

Morality never changed over the ages. There is a notion of right and wrong, regardless of the times we live in. Unfortunately, in these ever changing society, the younger generation doesn't understand that "new" is an ephemeral concept and changing the laws and the way society functions based on whatever the new fashion trend is, reduces our laws and way of life to something akin to a new pair of shoes or earings.

Sure, humans can create their own moral rules, but since there is no authority to verify or validate, morals can simply a matter of personal taste and vary greatly from one person to another. This is not moralty, it is pure and simple relativisim.

Alright, let me get this straight before I say anything else: are you saying that morality is unchanging, and doesn't evolve and change with society? Are you saying that morality is a constant, unchanging thing? Or am I misreading?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 10:50:44 pm by nuckles87 »

Offline max_cady

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2013, 02:34:28 am »
No, I don't think you are misreading what I am saying.

And to steer the converstation to that point, answer me this:

Was there any there period in either ancient times (Babilonian) or pre-19th century era in which murder was perceived as being considered anything but "wrong"? Or theft?

Was there any society that regarded infedelity as normal or an acceptable standard of behaviour and conduct?

Is there any society that regarded the act of lying as honorable and proper?

Did the concept of greed change over time? Was greed regarded as good in Greek society (for example), but regarded as bad in medieval times?

Where there any period of time in which prejudice was regarded as a positive and acceptable standard of behaviour?

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2013, 04:55:25 am »
When it comes to it. Morality was technically invented by us when we evolved. Animals have no morality, but they have no guilt or malice either...they attack, they kill, they feed, all just to survive and breed.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2013, 06:01:20 am »
True, but there are two pertinent observations to be made:
-Animals kill, breed and eat without any restraint nor they question their own nature;
-I do understand that morality might come from somewhere, but unlike other issues, morality is the least likely to be subjectively redefined and trivialized;

It's origin is also the hardest philoshophical enquiry, sure we could explain it all but when it comes to the whys, we either end up repeating ourselves to the point of abstraction or not really going much farther.