Author Topic: Warming up to Ubuntu  (Read 4985 times)

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
Warming up to Ubuntu
« on: June 07, 2013, 12:49:17 pm »
so a long time ago, years ago, many years ago, i installed Ubuntu with the assistance of Toggi3, It was a nightmare to say the least, but I felt l33t and cool. I learned the terminal quite well(and have forgot it since then) since Linux decided to be a jerk and install a ATI driver for my nvidia card. I was up all night in the terminal text only non GUI mode, booting between windows and linux since i only had one computer, and the only way i could talk with toggi3 was through windows.

So he was telling me these long complex commands to try, and i would be writing this down on paper, and eventually very early in the morning, around 8am or so, i finally was able to boot to the ubuntu desktop.

that's only a short portion of the linux journey i had, needless to say, it was a huge pain in the :):):), and nothing worked. as it was supposed to.

Fast forward to 2013 and my friend Jet convinced me to try out Ubuntu again. I've recently been having thoughts about how I don't want to rely on big companies to do the things I need to do. So I've been messing around with inkscape on windows, and i've warmed up to that too, and its on linux too of course,

so now that I can do my graphics work on linux, it gives me all the less reason to use windows. Gimp is gonna take some adjusting to get used to, but I don't use photoshop that much anyways, illustrator is my main tool. Followed by a code editor. I found a open source code editor yesterday called Komodo Edit and it's really awesome. I haven't tried installing it on linux yet, but it has a linux version.

I got skype too! had to enable i386 packages through the terminal, otherwise skype wouldn't install. That was a bit confusing, but nothing too horrible.

detects my printer nicely

of course ill keep windows installed though, there is just some things you cant do on linux, like games. ha

although i did notice it doesnt have a graphics driver installed for me, will have to look into that

but yeah, overall, I'm having a pleasent experience with ubuntu. nothing like it was years ago.

some messing around i was doing in inkscape while waiting for ubuntu to update

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
Re: Warming up to Ubuntu
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 03:45:58 pm »
Ubuntu is great. How do you like that Unity bar on the left though?

I can't stand it personally so I use Lubuntu to avoid it. Granted I only use it on my older computers. My main is still windows for gaming reasons.

Offline Happy Cat

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 08:45:30 pm »
Ubuntu is great. How do you like that Unity bar on the left though?

I can't stand it personally so I use Lubuntu to avoid it. Granted I only use it on my older computers. My main is still windows for gaming reasons.

I like the unity bar. It's a lot like either the windows taskbar or mac os x bar. I don't mind it at all. Ubuntu is pretty now, i remember when i used it years ago it used to be so ugly

ive been messing around with it a lot today, lol, i installed 12.04 earlier today after messing with the wubi installation, which you see above, i just wanted to see if i would like it before dealing with partition non-sense. So of course, when i installed 12.04, it wouldn't boot into windows, had to download a program that repaired grub so i could boot into windows again.

Then i find out one of my favorite features from Wubi installation wasn't in 12.04, Wubi was 12.10, where is where support for webapps was first introduced. so right now im in the process of installing ubuntu 13.04 over my old 12.04 installation

haha, so yeah, been quite the linux day.

Offline Happy Cat

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 09:11:56 pm »
i cant believe i just over wrote windows, please excuse me while i go jump out a window, this will be my third time installing it today.

glad i backed up my files

edit: posting this url for personal reference

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Installing#Reinstalling_GRUB_2
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 09:14:39 pm by Will »