Author Topic: Let's talk about the really bad Dreamcast games  (Read 23015 times)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: Let's talk about the really bad Dreamcast games
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2012, 09:31:04 am »
I found Evolution to be alright. I loved the character designs and concept, but it was just a mediocre rpg. Nothing amazing.

Offline Gagaman

• Total Meseta: 2
    • http://segamemories.tumblr.com/
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2012, 01:22:00 pm »
When I first got a Dreamcast not long after the launch it came with Sonic Adventure and Virtua Fighter 3. I was a bit disappointing with VF3 at the time so decided to trade it in.

I could of got Soul Calibur, but..

It was 1999, I was a teenager, and was big time into South Park, so i got Chef's Luv Shack.

About an hour after of playing it later I realized what a mistake I had made. A game that ultilised so little of what the Dreamcast could do that the back of the box featured 'Controller compatible' because it didn't even need a save file. it was like a flash game on a disc. 70% of the game is a dull mostly un-funny quiz with mostly questions that only Americans would get (even says "watch south park on comedy central at 10pm!", a channel we don';t even have in the UK) and the other 30% was a bunch of mini games that just ape classic retro games except they last about 10 seconds are are not even that funny either.

Worst of all: if you are playing on your own the game doesn't pit you against CPU players, it just puts you on your own, so no matter how badly you play you will win none the less.

So yeah this game isn't the worst Dreamcast game but because my stupidity of trading VF3 for it back in '99 I have a special kind of hate for it.

Offline mylifewithsega

• Total Meseta: -65531
  • "Just stick it in your Genesis!"
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2012, 01:12:05 am »
Spirit of Speed 1932. Easily the worst Dreamcast game I ever played.
Master-Cast TV: The Four-Mega Web Series!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC74cjduzFdR2ZXCt0bQv_0Q

Offline Kevin-N

« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2012, 09:36:02 am »
Here's some of my personal:

90 Minutes - Professional Soccer was a piece of crap and the game was from smilebit for god sake !

SEGA fan 4 life !

Offline semmie

• Banned
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2012, 12:44:00 pm »
the worst dreamcast game i ever played? hmm i kinda like all the games but i dont like the sports genre in the DC era. probably virtua striker was the only one i liked. but thats because i used to beg my dad to play vs 1 and 2 in the arcade hall. that does not exist anymore.

the wors wors wors
man thats hard. ii used to say maken x is dumb but i got used to it and start to like it

YES I KNOW NOW

.....carrier........

that resident evil rip off. it lacked spirit and it was made to earn money and u could feel that the game makers had no love

Offline JohnOfRage

• "Bare Knuckle"
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2013, 11:27:24 pm »
I don't think anything sucked more than Shenmue  ::) ! Just kidding, the game that sucked was "Soul Fighter" Hated that game!

Offline thearcticsea

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2013, 08:12:22 am »
Semmie, I liked Maken X, but I'm a giant Atlus fan.

The Dreamcast actually had a lot of kind of crappy "filler" games, like Silver, and Expendable.

I also thought Incoming! was pretty bad. That's the game I got with the system for XMAS because Sonic was sold out.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2013, 03:25:32 pm »
Expendable is pretty fun to play coop tho
SEG4GES

Offline JuMeSyn

• The Wanderer
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2013, 09:05:54 pm »
I should highlight all the football/soccer games. All of them, with no exception, are average, below average, or really bad, for one reason, or another. This includes Virtua Striker 2, 90 Minutes, UEFA Dream Soccer, SWSS 2000. The only that is quite playable is the last one.

Another awful game is Exhibition of Speed. Quite awful, when compared with other solid racers that the DC has.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2013, 05:21:53 am »
The only that is quite playable is the last one.
First of all, welcome to our forum :)

Second of all, UEFA Dream Soccer was an improvement of every aspect of SWWS2000. While the gameplay was arcade to a fault, it had a lot of great features, some that we haven't seen anywhere else (women football?).
Still, yes, very average.

I never got why Konami didn't make an ISS game for the DC.
SEG4GES

Offline JuMeSyn

• The Wanderer
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2013, 06:45:11 am »
Thank you :)

well, I find SWWS 2000 more enjoyable than UDS, to be honest. The controls seem less choppy. Some agree that UDS is the best football game (using the word 'best' here is so funny), well I don't :P but sure, it is not as bad as 90 Minutes. That one is so awful.

Well, Konami's gamelist for the DC was quite bad, so it wouldn't be to expect an ISS or a PES.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2013, 07:38:08 am »
Expendable is pretty fun to play coop tho

Agreed. I picked Expendable up used recently for five bucks and found it to be a fun run n gun coop game.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2013, 12:03:50 pm »
Thank you :)

well, I find SWWS 2000 more enjoyable than UDS, to be honest. The controls seem less choppy. Some agree that UDS is the best football game (using the word 'best' here is so funny), well I don't :P but sure, it is not as bad as 90 Minutes. That one is so awful.

Well, Konami's gamelist for the DC was quite bad, so it wouldn't be to expect an ISS or a PES.
Well this is fun. I never had found anyone else who had actually played all the DC's footy titles (though I have yet to play 90 Minutes).

One game that missed the mark just by a bit was UEFA Striker.
When playing it I can clearly feel it has the basis for a genuinely good football game, but the gameplay's all over the pitch. Great fun playing with a friend due to the high number of ridiculously amazing saves the GKs make per match.
SEG4GES

Offline JuMeSyn

• The Wanderer
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2013, 01:13:17 pm »
UEFA Striker was the only one that I didn't got to play. However, from the youtube videos, I remember playing something like that on the PC back in 2000, and with the same awfully generic menu music. But it had a different name, which I cannot remember. And from what I remember, it was average fun.

90 Minutes is the same game as J - League Spectacle Soccer. Quite weird that it is so bad, considering it is from the same team that developed Jet Set Radio.

Offline Kevin-N

« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2013, 02:42:12 am »
UEFA Striker was the only one that I didn't got to play. However, from the youtube videos, I remember playing something like that on the PC back in 2000, and with the same awfully generic menu music. But it had a different name, which I cannot remember. And from what I remember, it was average fun.

90 Minutes is the same game as J - League Spectacle Soccer. Quite weird that it is so bad, considering it is from the same team that developed Jet Set Radio.

Uefa striker was the best soccer game for the DC, i really enjoyed it. The game had even a dutch language. And i am from Belgium and whe speak dutch. 90 min on the other hand was a complete crappy game, bad graphics for it's time because it was the second generation games from DC and the controls where just awful. from all games that i played from the 8 bit till the current generation, i think 90 min is the worsed game ever !
SEGA fan 4 life !