Author Topic: Metal Gear Rising: Revengenace demo discussion  (Read 5902 times)

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
Metal Gear Rising: Revengenace demo discussion
« on: January 25, 2013, 08:54:05 am »
So, here's a thread for any fans of Platinum around here who've played the demo for their next big game w/help from Kojima Productions.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: Metal Gear Rising: Revengenace demo discussion
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 10:29:37 am »
Added to my queue just now! Gonna give it a go this weekend.

Offline Shigs

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 09:32:52 pm »
Sadly, this demo has made this game a "Rent only" for me. The regular button mashing action doesn't flow well and there's hardly any defensive moves and doing that slow motion slicing during combat is cumbersome at best.
Grammar Expert Plus

Offline mylifewithsega

• Total Meseta: -65531
  • "Just stick it in your Genesis!"
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 06:01:08 pm »
Played the demo and, honestly, I fuckin' hate it. It lacks a lot of the polish and detail I expect from a Metal Gear title. Before I even played the actual game, the cutscene pissed me off. It's pretty and all, but the characters are annoying as Hell. I'd rather piss razorblades than listen to Raiden's support team. The action is kinda' lame, thanks to clunky controls. The cutting system just underwhelmed me beyond belief....and how that FUCK can you make Raiden suck again?! Really, they went through all that trouble trying to salvage his Nancy-boy image from Sons of Liberty with Guns of the Patriots, only to make him an over-confident dickhead. Thanks a bunch!

I'm just gonna' wait for Ground Zero.
Master-Cast TV: The Four-Mega Web Series!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC74cjduzFdR2ZXCt0bQv_0Q

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 09:05:30 pm »
I played the demo and promptly pre-ordered that shit.

I found it really fun, good fast paced combat, the parry works well for defense and I liked the 'Sword mode' ability to target weak spots to steal their spines or whatever it is.

Offline mylifewithsega

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 09:20:47 pm »
Admittedly, after the thrashing ya' gave Aliens, I'm surprised. Revengeance doesn't even look as good as Metal Gear Solid 4, which is much older. Considering how much time went into making a fairly basic action game, it would've been nicer had they spent more time perfecting the controls and giving the visuals more polish.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 10:23:40 pm »
I'm not one to get caught up on graphics, but Aliens was truly horrendous in that department. I didn't think MGR looked particularly good or bad.

As for the gameplay, I really enjoyed what I played of it. I only got to play the demo through once but from the boss fight I'm seeing a lot of tense moments where parrying and reactions will be tested, and even fighting rank and file henchmen will force you to use the sword mode to get those spinal fluid doobies to keep alive.
I also liked the range of attackes and animations that I was able to touch on in the demo, it seems to be really fluid and fun, not sure why you felt it was plain to be honest.

Maybe I'm just starved for a good action game, but I also have faith in Platinum since i absolutely adored both Bayonetta and Vanquish, the former being one of my all time favourite games.

Offline Chaosmaster8753

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 11:30:28 pm »
On the subject of graphics, I assume they had to be sacrificed for the sake of keeping it at 60fps while also having Blade Mode intact (and it's been said that the Vita couldn't handle Blade Mode,) but what do I know?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 11:33:02 pm by Chaosmaster8753 »

Offline mylifewithsega

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 11:45:49 am »
I'm not one to get caught up on graphics, but Aliens was truly horrendous in that department. I didn't think MGR looked particularly good or bad.

As for the gameplay, I really enjoyed what I played of it. I only got to play the demo through once but from the boss fight I'm seeing a lot of tense moments where parrying and reactions will be tested, and even fighting rank and file henchmen will force you to use the sword mode to get those spinal fluid doobies to keep alive.
I also liked the range of attackes and animations that I was able to touch on in the demo, it seems to be really fluid and fun, not sure why you felt it was plain to be honest.

Maybe I'm just starved for a good action game, but I also have faith in Platinum since i absolutely adored both Bayonetta and Vanquish, the former being one of my all time favourite games.

I guess it may have something to do with the name. I expect a bit more from a Metal Gear title than a relatively mindless button-masher with bland, uninteresting characters.

That's another thing that really bothers me about Revengeance; I don't buy for a moment that Raiden would have returned to war after Guns of the Patriots, even for the sake of his wife and child. It doesn't work for me. If anything, I feel it would have been better to show us how he became the cyborg ninja and rescued Sunny from the Patriots. It's discussed briefly, then tossed aside. They could have explored that bit of Raiden's past while giving us an action-heavy adventure.

At best, the demo was "okay". I try not to spend $60 on a game that's just "okay". Especially a Metal Gear title.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 02:45:17 pm »
I should point out that I have never played a Metal Gear title, so that might affect my sta?nd on this on

Offline mylifewithsega

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 06:03:55 pm »
It may. I've been following the franchise since Metal Gear Solid was slapped on the PlayStation. It's still one of my favorites, and I've beaten it several times, along with Sons of Liberty, Snake Eater, Guns of the Patriots, Portable Ops and Peace Walker. Later, I played Metal Gear 1 and 2 on the Subsistance edition of Snake Eater, though I haven't beaten either yet. Harder than platinum shit. LOL!

Offline Chaosmaster8753

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 01:08:59 am »
As if the LQ-84i/Bladewolf wasn't enough, this here pretty much says to me that Raiden is Mega Man:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xaWi8SjmO0