Author Topic: Sonic 25th Anniversary - Offical Topic.  (Read 236715 times)

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 22
Re: Sonic 25th Anniversary - Offical Topic.
« Reply #615 on: August 29, 2017, 07:56:16 pm »
I'll never trust Pocket Gamer review / score again. Ever !
Used to look up that website for searching good mobile games, but never again.

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Switch/Sonic%20Mania/review.asp?c=75036

Have you guys read the article's comment section?
I hate to make stupid people famous, but I couldn't help it so here we go.

The review :

The reviewer's comments (two of them) :

Offline Betwixt Thieves

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #616 on: August 29, 2017, 10:43:48 pm »
Glen Fox takes the high road. A true gentleman.

Offline Berto

« Reply #617 on: August 29, 2017, 10:52:54 pm »
Glen Fox takes the high road. A true gentleman.

Yeah, may be either go big or go home.
His comments should be on his article though, that would be more entertaining to read on metacritic.

Sonic Mania (Nintendo Switch) Review

"This is a game that will thrill long-time fans and introduce brand new ones to what Sonic is like at its very best. Far from the tone-deaf reinventions and cynical cash-ins of Sonic at its worst, this is a love-filled celebration that also proves there is life in the 25-year-old original concept yet. 10 of 10 "
(Tim Biggs - The Sydney Morning Herald)

"Sonic Mania is a true return to form for the mascot, in his 2D 'Classic' guise at least. It celebrates the glory days of the original games while also enhancing their qualities and taking on new ideas. Sonic Mania belongs in the company of the games to which it pays tribute - the Blue Blur is back. 9 of 10"
(Thomas Whitehead - Nintendolife)

"Sonic Mania methodically uses its sentimental appeal to great effect, but in the process, it heals the wounds inflicted by its most disappointing predecessors and surpasses the series' best with its smart and interpretive design. 9 of 10"
(Matt Espineli - Gamespot)

"Poor butt hurt Sega fans. Don't they realise that Nintendo is riding high on the Switch wave while Sega is hiring modders to make games for them now because they're so past it? And look at the embarrassing Sega Forever! I'd go so far as to say that anyone who likes Sonic is a moron. 6 of 10"
(Glen Fox - Pocket Gamer)

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #618 on: August 30, 2017, 12:14:08 am »
With writing like that, he'll get snapped up by IGN in no time.

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #619 on: August 30, 2017, 12:51:15 pm »
I want to know how that Pocket Gamer dude has a job, seriously wtf. He's a god damn disgrace.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline Berto

« Reply #620 on: August 31, 2017, 03:29:52 am »
I want to know how that Pocket Gamer dude has a job, seriously wtf. He's a god damn disgrace.

His job is not just as a writer / reviewer btw.
He's an EDITOR !

Glen Fox heads up Pocket Gamer as our new Editor
 http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Other...ws.asp?c=71540

Offline Betwixt Thieves

« Reply #621 on: August 31, 2017, 09:27:14 am »
Mind boggling that the guy loves vapid experiences on cell phones and then burns Sonic Mania. No offense if people like mobile games, but I think most of us know they are normally inferior experiences due to interfaces and to appeal to casuals. Also the Mii profile in the article you posted show where his heart is in case he didn't abundantly state it in his Sonic Mania review.

It would be like if I was going to give a review on a book about being a mom. I wouldn't be qualified to review the book properly since I'm not a mom and I'm not a female even. My review would have value to no one. 

Offline Tad

« Reply #622 on: August 31, 2017, 12:54:04 pm »
So, Sonic Forces will be £30/$40 on release it seems.

That's not too bad at all, but it does make me worry that they're not sure it's as good as they had hoped or it's another Unleashed. That game was released at a cheaper price too.

Offline Betwixt Thieves

« Reply #623 on: August 31, 2017, 01:12:59 pm »
I was worried about the price point too. Seems like Sega has been doing this with all their recent releases. Maybe their strategy is to get more sales up front instead of people waiting for the $20 ticket price that a lot of gamers wait for until they pick up a game. The market of $60 games showing up for $20 if you wait 4-6 months is killing the industry.

Offline Tad

« Reply #624 on: August 31, 2017, 01:21:41 pm »
I was worried about the price point too. Seems like Sega has been doing this with all their recent releases. Maybe their strategy is to get more sales up front instead of people waiting for the $20 ticket price that a lot of gamers wait for until they pick up a game. The market of $60 games showing up for $20 if you wait 4-6 months is killing the industry.

That is true. The cheaper indie games have been showing up a lot of big titles and maybe they're thinking this will edge people to buy it now. Plus, let's face it, most big games drop in price by the time there's an update to fix all the bugs.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 01:26:16 pm by Tad »

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #625 on: September 01, 2017, 11:10:18 am »
So, Sonic Forces will be £30/$40 on release it seems.

That's not too bad at all, but it does make me worry that they're not sure it's as good as they had hoped or it's another Unleashed. That game was released at a cheaper price too.

I'm not worried, if anything, SEGA has been releasing newer games at a lower price point. Yakuza Kiwami and Valkyria Revolution of great indicators of that.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I was actually on the fence about this, but now that it's only $40 on day 1, i think i'll be preordering it.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline Berto

« Reply #626 on: September 03, 2017, 11:34:27 pm »
Mind boggling that the guy loves vapid experiences on cell phones and then burns Sonic Mania. No offense if people like mobile games, but I think most of us know they are normally inferior experiences due to interfaces and to appeal to casuals. Also the Mii profile in the article you posted show where his heart is in case he didn't abundantly state it in his Sonic Mania review.

It would be like if I was going to give a review on a book about being a mom. I wouldn't be qualified to review the book properly since I'm not a mom and I'm not a female even. My review would have value to no one.

He deleted all of his comments.
All 18 of them, even one that's not offensive to others.
I wish I took more than two screenshots, lol.

Offline Shun-Di

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #627 on: September 04, 2017, 01:14:43 pm »
The thing about being a game reviewer is that you must have an unbiased opinion and state all the facts.  Problem is in the case for this series though, Sonic is the punching bag for many of those reviews.  Then you have fans who demand nothing but perfect scores regardless of a game's flaws.  (Paid reviews are dirty too.)  This however seems honest enough.  I do hope Sonic Mania regains respect for the series.  Forces can jump off a cliff though.  :p
Be like water.

Offline Shun-Di

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #628 on: September 04, 2017, 01:16:35 pm »
Also Nintendo fans can be verrrrry biased.  :p
Be like water.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #629 on: September 05, 2017, 02:07:38 pm »
I checked out that Glen guy's Pocket Gamer article and saw all his replies were deleted.

Though he still has this tweet up: https://twitter.com/foxy_glen/status/902280617664147456