Author Topic: Have you embraced mobile gaming?  (Read 32461 times)

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
Re: Have you embraced mobile gaming?
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2015, 09:54:50 am »
Everything you just said is subjective to the game you are playing.
You can play CT:CR in a bigscreen with touch controlls without any issue. It plays great. Same thing with Sonic Runners or a number of other games optimized to touch.
You don't have to look at what you're touching.

It's like saying all PSX games were shit because you only played Barbie Horse Adventures and Vib Ribbon

Those are games that literally are one-button controls, am I right?

Also you'll notice I said 'Most games'.  :afroman:

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2015, 10:10:10 am »
Those are games that literally are one-button controls, am I right?

Also you'll notice I said 'Most games'.  :afroman:

But as evidenced, most games you've played only made it past half the demo. :X

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2015, 10:20:29 am »
But as evidenced, most games you've played only made it past half the demo. :X

Talking about mobile games?

I've nearly finished Hitman GO and KotOR on my phone, and have played through about half of Metal Slug, Angry Birds etc etc.
I don't think it's accurate to say I only played the demo of most mobile games, and I've openly explained why I didn't play Chain Chronicle.

Let's not spill the Sonic Racing argument into this thread please Barry.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #63 on: May 29, 2015, 04:10:26 pm »
Let's spill everything!

Crazy Taxi is not one button. But since it relies on gestures rather than virtual bottons, it's still pretty reliable
SEG4GES

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #64 on: May 29, 2015, 04:59:42 pm »
Let's spill everything!
*Spaghetti falls out of pockets*

Crazy Taxi is not one button. But since it relies on gestures rather than virtual bottons, it's still pretty reliable

Yeah it's basically temple run right? I don't really enjoy those games, but I know what you are talking about.
Begs the question though, why play City Rush on the big screen when you can play the real Crazy Taxi?

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #65 on: May 29, 2015, 05:04:33 pm »

Offline Kuronoa

• Total Meseta: 3
    • Segalization
« Reply #66 on: May 29, 2015, 05:11:33 pm »
Mixed.  There are certainly games I would play on one.  Mostly ports.  I don't own one yet.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #67 on: May 29, 2015, 05:24:13 pm »

Because City Rush looks like trash? I should actually play it before judging, but I really don't want to.
Because it looks like unfettered trash.

Offline DarthTsarkon

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #68 on: May 29, 2015, 06:21:23 pm »
I suppose what I find interesting with the mobile market is its relation to the current state of console gaming. Looking at the technology available and a rather poor economy, you have to wonder if consoles are pretty much done. It is hitting a point that the new systems are computers so why not skip the middle man and PC game. The other issue is cost. This is where the casual side of the argument comes in. Some people can't afford the newer systems or PCs but they can afford a game on their smartphone. Most people have access to this type of technology so gaming with their phones make sense. Cheaper games, cheaper investment, and endless indie "studios"making plenty of games.

The squeeze is on for consoles as mobile gaming continues to gain traction. I dunno, maybe if Sega starts manufacturing smartphones I'll start looking more into them...

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #69 on: May 29, 2015, 09:46:42 pm »
Personally it wouldn't surprise me if the upcoming Windows 10 integration with certain Xbox One/Xbox Live features is part of a long-term exit strategy from Xbox being a hardware-based console to more of an identity of a PC service.

However, I will say this - the notion that smartphones are cheaper than consoles is in many cases just an illusion, as the cost of the phone is built into a person's phone contract and paid over time. Some smartphones are quite a bit more expensive than a console. (And who knows, the games could potentially be more expensive if someone can't control themselves. But that can be true of any platform's games with DLC and microtransactions.)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 09:50:38 pm by Centrale »

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2015, 09:48:10 pm »
Because City Rush looks like trash? I should actually play it before judging, but I really don't want to.
Because it looks like unfettered trash.
City Rush is deeper than the originals.
You unlock shit, customize shit, compete in leaderboards, complete challenges for limited time taxi parts, drive your friends taxis, git gud
SEG4GES

Offline DarthTsarkon

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2015, 01:09:00 am »
However, I will say this - the notion that smartphones are cheaper than consoles is in many cases just an illusion, as the cost of the phone is built into a person's phone contract and paid over time. Some smartphones are quite a bit more expensive than a console. (And who knows, the games could potentially be more expensive if someone can't control themselves. But that can be true of any platform's games with DLC and microtransactions.)

Interesting point. That illusion is a strong one as I don't think most people really understand how much they really pay for their brand new phone. Plus, a phone is a must for most of us so most people just think of it as a necessity with some added bonuses so cost isn't that big of a deal. A console, despite Microsoft's attempts to make an all in one item, isn't a must have.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2015, 07:21:55 am »

I still love to play some Heroes of Might and Magic 2 on my tablet when I am on the go, but when I am home I'd rather just play on my PC.
Well yeah, its mobile gaming, made for on the go, same as handheld gaming which has existed for almost as long as console gaming. It's not console or PC that mobile is going to replaced, I don't think anyone thinks that... It's handhelds, like the Nintendo DS and Playstation Vita which are under threat from phones and tablets that can play games just as well and do so much more.
Made by SEGA

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2015, 09:31:02 am »
Personally it wouldn't surprise me if the upcoming Windows 10 integration with certain Xbox One/Xbox Live features is part of a long-term exit strategy from Xbox being a hardware-based console to more of an identity of a PC service.

They are more expensive, but as Sharky said, you don't buy a mobile JUST for games. It's a device that lets you talk to people, text, skype, watch videos, check emails, surf the web and play games and it fits in your pocket. It's much more valuable to most people than a console.
City Rush is deeper than the originals.
You unlock shit, customize shit, compete in leaderboards, complete challenges for limited time taxi parts, drive your friends taxis, git gud

In terms of gameplay? I couldn't care less about paint jobs and upgrades.
I doubt it has the same finesse required to dash, drift, limiter cut, and pick the best route through the city.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #74 on: May 30, 2015, 11:42:25 am »
Quote from: MadeManG74 link=topic=3604.msg77916#msg77916 date
In terms of gameplay? I couldn't care less about paint jobs and upgrades.
I doubt it has the same finesse required to dash, drift, limiter cut, and pick the best route through the city.
I didn't say the gameplay was better. It's better if you're on the go, or are starting to play videogames
SEG4GES