Author Topic: Politics  (Read 47094 times)

Offline pcm92

• Total Meseta: 3
Re: Politics
« Reply #75 on: May 09, 2017, 01:56:46 pm »
Women just can't win any presidential elections, can they?

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2017, 12:24:08 am »
Not sure as presidents, but there has been and are many women in power.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 04:51:55 am by Tad »

Offline Spock

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #77 on: May 15, 2017, 07:48:58 pm »
So Trump is in trouble for giving classified information to Russia about ISIS. Will he be impeached for something that simple? If so, Will Mike Pence be the next president?

Jerry Brown thinks he should have been impeached just for being too divisive. Meanwhile, Martin O'Malley seems to be the most likely nominee for the Democratic presidential nomination in 2020.

Offline Tad

« Reply #78 on: May 16, 2017, 12:57:17 pm »
I doubt he'll get impeached. He's in power now and he seems unlikely to give it up unless they have indisputable evidence on film or something. Even then, I bet he'd quit before it went public to save face.

Offline pcm92

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #79 on: May 16, 2017, 04:43:40 pm »
Giving information to Russia about ISIS to encourage Russia to help fight against ISIS is not treason. Especially since he did not give Russia an adequate source of where he was getting the information from.

Martin O'Malley has not officially announced his candidacy for president. None of the major contenders will until 2019.

If you wanted to see POTENTIAL contenders, then click on Democratic Party with this page:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_2020

Offline Spock

« Reply #80 on: May 17, 2017, 11:52:01 am »
Al Green and Maxine Waters are calling for a Trump impeachment. Though, i think it's too early for them to do that successfully.

I said Martin O'Malley SEEMS like he will be the next Democratic nominee. I would rather have Jason Kander or Roy Cooper though.

Offline Tad

« Reply #81 on: May 17, 2017, 12:11:02 pm »
He's playing the "everyone's against me" card already.

Looking beyond Trump, I think the rise of the "right wing" has been from failing governments all around the world. Even if they don't actually get into power, the rise has still been there.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 12:14:12 pm by Tad »

Offline Spock

« Reply #82 on: May 19, 2017, 11:46:25 am »
I feel like I overestimated Donald Trump. He said he would do things completely different than past presidents and he hasn't done hardly anything since he took office. I guess there really should be a difference between being a businessman and a politician.

I am also a centrist, but if the Democratic party fails to provide a decent candidate (once again) in 2020, then I don't think I'm voting.

Offline Tad

« Reply #83 on: May 20, 2017, 09:10:55 am »
The thing is, most places have systems in place to stop those in power from going completely power hungry and doing whatever they want. This is the stumbling block all parties hit when they realise they can't actually do what they said they would during their campaign and it can rightfully (and sometimes wrongfully) bite them in the backside later on.

Changes are needed at times, but in doing so it can cause issues and have a knock on effect which even experts aren't completely sure about. It can be made even worse if those in power are likely to abuse these powers too.

As for voting...Spock, please keep voting. You'll never agree with a party or person 100% but that's just how it goes. What you can do though is vote for someone you can at least mostly agree with.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #84 on: May 22, 2017, 05:27:53 am »
What if i don't vote to show my disatisfaction with the system
SEG4GES

Offline Shun-Di

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #85 on: May 22, 2017, 08:06:58 am »
What if i don't vote to show my disatisfaction with the system

Then everyone must do the same to have any kind of effect.  Knowing our corrupted government, they will just rig the polls anyway.  We need some 3rd options.  Some real ones, not the same ones over and over forcing us to choose the lesser of two evils. 
Be like water.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #86 on: May 22, 2017, 09:51:11 am »
Then everyone must do the same to have any kind of effect.
Isn't that the truth about voting on someone as well?

Maybe if 50% of the population doesn't vote (Portugal's case) it actually says something about the choices.
SEG4GES

Offline Tad

« Reply #87 on: May 22, 2017, 12:16:50 pm »
It doesn't work that way anyway. If you want to show your against the choices presented you have to say that by protest voting: http://www.votenone.org.uk/protest_votes_count.html

By writing none on the voting slip, it means no one in the election represents you and if enough people do it, they have to change the system.

Update: In the UK.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 01:17:11 am by Tad »

Offline Spock

« Reply #88 on: May 22, 2017, 10:14:18 pm »
It doesn't work that way for the U.S. at all. We have a two party system here, whereas in the last Portuguese election, I think you guys had like six?

We normally have four people running, but only two of those can win. The Democrats and Republicans.

The Green and Libertarian parties are just there for people who do want to vote "none of the above." They never actually win any state votes whatsoever.

The closest independent to winning the election in recent history was George Wallace. He only won five states and that was back in 1968.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #89 on: May 23, 2017, 07:56:29 am »
You guys are not understanding my point.

You're basically saying "well, if you don't vote people get elected anyway". Then why should I give two shits in the first place?
The system is screwed up. I don't want to take any part in it, and I could say the same for half of our population. What's the alternative?

Like in the US. Hilary and Trump were awful candidates from a neutral point of view. Both of them were absolutely despicable. The race was still between them both, so why bother?
I'd be dead before I'd vote for someone so that "X doesn't win". That's propaganda, and it sickens me.
SEG4GES