Author Topic: Trouble with the forums at Sega.com  (Read 30187 times)

3raser

Trouble with the forums at Sega.com
« on: April 26, 2013, 11:24:40 pm »
Has anyone else had trouble there? My issue was that the website had too many bugs, so I switched to this website. I have heard about the administrators treating members poorly there, but I did not seem to have trouble with that. Please, share your experience, if you have visited there with website problems. I would love to hear about why you chose this website over Sega's main website.

Offline Kori-Maru

• Total Meseta: 9
  • AMS Kagekidan sanjou-desu!
    • The Website of the Dead
Re: Trouble with the forums at Sega.com
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 12:03:53 am »
Two things

1. I had troubling registering to the forums when I first joined.
2. Not many other game board are active and has less productivity. The only ones that are active is Sonic.

www.thewebsiteofthedead.com ~ The House of the Dead Unofficial fan site

Offline Ben

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 01:21:44 am »
I feel that both sites serve their own purpose and have their own unique personalities.

Of course, haha, as a writer for this site, I encourage every Sega fan to register here. But I also wouldn't dissuade people from using Sega.com...you've just got to tolerate topic after topic of  Nintendo hate from certain people. But if you want to engage in real discussion, it's possible at Sega.com, just like it's possible here.

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 08:40:27 am »
One of the Admins didn't take one of my issues seriously there, saying my claim was very unhelpful (ironic that, coming from a SEGA Admin who can't fix the damn site right....).

The search feature is bugged there...and I was close to telling them you can't speak to customers of your companies product like that (it is a sackable offence in any other profession...why not there too?).

It works only when it wants to I've noticed...so technically he is right that it works...but to his mentality, being half broken means it isn't broken.

SEGAbits is much more flexible and non-bug ridden...I think Shadi would be a good admin there despite his hostile relationship with anything Nintendo (just as long as he doesn't ban Nintendo topics, lol). He does a good job maintaining this site unlike the official SEGA Boards.
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 09:28:50 am »
One of the Admins didn't take one of my issues seriously there, saying my claim was very unhelpful (ironic that, coming from a SEGA Admin who can't fix the damn site right....).

The search feature is bugged there...and I was close to telling them you can't speak to customers of your companies product like that (it is a sackable offence in any other profession...why not there too?).

It works only when it wants to I've noticed...so technically he is right that it works...but to his mentality, being half broken means it isn't broken.

SEGAbits is much more flexible and non-bug ridden...I think Shadi would be a good admin there despite his hostile relationship with anything Nintendo (just as long as he doesn't ban Nintendo topics, lol). He does a good job maintaining this site unlike the official SEGA Boards.

well if one of the admins you were talking to was a community manager they probably wouldn't know how to fix whatever it was you were talking about, their job is to interact with the community and pass on feedback, they don't really do much in terms of tech support for the forums besides pass on feedback to the appropriate people, and far as i know the forums are managed by a web development team in SEGA Europe.

My guess was whoever it was has been contacted a lot about that same tech issue and was getting frustrated, still no reason to be rude, but I can understand where they were coming from possibly.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 10:17:55 am »
I have never liked the SEGA forums. Way too many boards (I count 40+!) and many of them are junky and inactive. The admins are pretty mean, and quick to ban members who actually have coherent opinions. Don't dare get into a debate, because an admin will read it as an argument and ban you. :P

Also, as noted, there is a huge Sonic presence... to a fault. I love me my Sonic, but it's just too much over there. A lot of junk posts like "is cream the rabbit cool??" or "where is shadow???"

Really, SEGA should just save themselves the server space and work and close the official forums. Let fan sites take care of the forum side of things and leave the official site to advertising the games and the blog posts.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 12:15:43 pm »
I think SEGA.com has a lot of potential, it just isn't ran right or doesn't have the people with the right ideas.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 12:26:06 pm »
George secretly wants to take over SEGA.com and run it right.

What I don't like about SEGA.com is the front page, it is a bit dated now. And there is zero blog presence on the main page, aside from a link. Ideally, the blog would have a front page feed. And I think they need to ditch the forums.

Offline semmie

• Banned
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 02:35:40 pm »
George secretly wants to take over SEGA.com and run it right.

What I don't like about SEGA.com is the front page, it is a bit dated now. And there is zero blog presence on the main page, aside from a link. Ideally, the blog would have a front page feed. And I think they need to ditch the forums.

its to white as well. hurts my eyes when i visit it at night

Offline Kori-Maru

• Total Meseta: 9
  • AMS Kagekidan sanjou-desu!
    • The Website of the Dead
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 02:44:21 pm »
I wish they could change the Sega banner too with more of their franchises represented like a few years back.

www.thewebsiteofthedead.com ~ The House of the Dead Unofficial fan site

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 05:29:51 pm »
well if one of the admins you were talking to was a community manager they probably wouldn't know how to fix whatever it was you were talking about, their job is to interact with the community and pass on feedback, they don't really do much in terms of tech support for the forums besides pass on feedback to the appropriate people, and far as i know the forums are managed by a web development team in SEGA Europe.

My guess was whoever it was has been contacted a lot about that same tech issue and was getting frustrated, still no reason to be rude, but I can understand where they were coming from possibly.

I think it was ClumsyOrchid, who is an Admin from my memory.

I see, no wonder it takes ages to sort out. :x

Maybe, but I was being polite over it to not get a "This is an unhelpful post" from him.
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 05:42:07 pm »
Really? Clumsy is an admin? I've never dealt with him, just people who are given admin status who aren't sega employees.

Offline George

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 06:48:31 pm »
He has been forever. He is a good guy. The forums are alive mostly because of people like him, since SEGA doesn't officially want forums last I heard.

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2013, 07:02:35 pm »
yeah clumsy is a good guy. he was just probably having a bad day. everyone has their moments. you shouldn't let it get to you.

funny thing is nsega got a warning for using the word hoe

Offline George

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2013, 07:15:30 pm »
BTW When I say that SEGA.com has potentional, I don't mean to say that people that run it (community team/web guys) are untalented. I think the higher ups at SEGA just don't put enough focus on it. SEGA does it better than most publishers, Namco is pretty bad. I couldn't even get their community manager emails to do stuff for Project x Zone. I found his twitter, tweeted him and he totally ignored us.

I guess we aren't as cool as NintendoFanLuigiZone12.com