Poll

Which consoles should Sega focus on the most for creating new video games?

Arcade cabinet expansion
4 (12.1%)
Playstation 4
11 (33.3%)
Wii U
10 (30.3%)
Xbox One
4 (12.1%)
Other
4 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: New generation of gaming  (Read 12663 times)

3raser

New generation of gaming
« on: May 25, 2013, 02:57:39 am »
I am not sure which system I would want the most. I just want the one that Sega makes the most games for.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
Re: New generation of gaming
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 04:23:42 am »
With both bayo and sonic world being anounced for Wii U, I think those 2 alone are worth getting the console for SEGA games.

Nothing has been shown of bayo 2 yet, but knowing that nintendo is going to show all their games on june, I am mostly excited about bayo 2. I loved the first game

So I would want them to focus on wii u because I wont be getting the others untill they drop in price, which would probably take a year

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 07:51:38 am »
PC.

The consoles as we know them are on their way out. A tighter focus on the PC this gen would prepare Sega for the inevitable.
SEG4GES

Offline FourCartridge

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 08:09:43 am »
While I would prefer SEGA games on the PS4, as that is the console I'm getting, I agree that SEGA should continue it's PC centric plans. The Wii U has a low install base, and even a good deal of Nintendo fans I've seen agree that if it doesn't do well during the holidays, it will be officially dead(for real this time =P), though there's some optimism is there for it. The PS4 & Xbone may be too expensive for development, but if SEGA can afford PC development, it can afford it's digital library on those consoles.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 10:27:57 am »
If you don't mind, I've updated the poll to allow for multiple options (you did ask "consoles", not "console") and changed 720 to One.

I said PS4/One and Wii U. I'd like it if we saw PS4 and One getting the same games, and Wii U getting the more off the wall and kid oriented titles.

3raser

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 04:35:03 pm »
If you don't mind, I've updated the poll to allow for multiple options (you did ask "consoles", not "console") and changed 720 to One.

I said PS4/One and Wii U. I'd like it if we saw PS4 and One getting the same games, and Wii U getting the more off the wall and kid oriented titles.

Thank you for correcting me on that. I meant to put Xbox One. I thought I did, but I guess everyone makes mistakes.

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 08:39:37 pm »
Thank you for correcting me on that. I meant to put Xbox One. I thought I did, but I guess everyone makes mistakes.

That's why pencils have 3rasers?? Sorry, that was a lame joke.

My vote's with crackdude above. PC should be their focus.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 10:32:17 pm »
I think SEGA needs to do a few things:

- Focus on PC, port over more games and do it right with support for mods.
- If you don't want to release a game on disc, take advantage of digital stores. I can see why selling a game like Yakuza to Walmart is hard.
- Learn how to support your online games and take care of an online community.

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 11:25:53 pm »
The problem with focusing on PC games is the culture is completely different.  I think they should focus on PCs as much as they have been (total war, company of heroes and ports galore) but I can't imagine the Japanese developers being able to adapt to that market.  Going the free to play PC mmorpg route has already severely impacted PSO2's quality in the worst ways.  And who ever heard of a AAA platformer developed for the PC?     

I say PS4, 3Ds, and Wiiu all the way.  But definitely port every title you can to PC. 

3raser

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 11:37:45 pm »
That's why pencils have 3rasers?? Sorry, that was a lame joke.

My vote's with crackdude above. PC should be their focus.

Your joke was actually pretty funny. My username came from a username generator. I just thought it was unique; however, I have to disagree with Sega focusing on PC games. I think there are a lot of great titles out there, don't get me wrong. It's just that I don't usually play much of PC gaming and most of my friends don't either. Sega should definately keep making them, but most of their money would probably come from console gaming. I want the console that has the most Sega games. The reason I created this thread was because I did not know which console to buy.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2013, 05:45:29 am »
The problem with focusing on PC games is the culture is completely different.  I think they should focus on PCs as much as they have been (total war, company of heroes and ports galore) but I can't imagine the Japanese developers being able to adapt to that market.  Going the free to play PC mmorpg route has already severely impacted PSO2's quality in the worst ways.  And who ever heard of a AAA platformer developed for the PC?     

I say PS4, 3Ds, and Wiiu all the way.  But definitely port every title you can to PC. 
There really is no excuse not to port over their One/PS4 games since they both run on x86 cpus. It would make the process of porting titles very easy.

Not saying exclusive, just good ports. As another platform and really, it won't be a big issue now. Also PC gamers have been growing, lots of very big Japanese games have seen success including platformers like Rayman Origin and Sonic Unleashed.

Offline Trippled

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2013, 07:40:28 am »

- If you don't want to release a game on disc, take advantage of digital stores. I can see why selling a game like Yakuza to Walmart is hard.

I'd rather have limited prints. Like in the Saturn days.

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2013, 11:59:44 am »
lots of very big Japanese games have seen success including platformers like Rayman Origin and Sonic Unleashed.

I guess I've never seen the numbers on this stuff.  How much did Dark Souls and Unleashed sell? 

Offline TJKitsune

• Total Meseta: 13
  • That Crazy Fox
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2013, 06:46:00 pm »
Arcade and PCs sorta go hand in hand these days..  With the newer systems being on x86 though, it would make those ports that much easier, as arcades are already all running on a version of Windows Embedded.  I'll likely call into the Wii U group, even though I have no interest in the system outside of the Sega games, or Bayo 2.

Offline pcm92

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2013, 09:22:35 pm »
Sega plans to make games for all new generation consoles equally. I would hope that Sega would not make too many games for the WiiU because the WiiU had poor sales. The Xbox One would probably be my choice because of how epic the introduction meeting was. They are also not hiding their console design. I can't stand it when companies choose anticipation instead of showing it to the customers.