Author Topic: What are you watching?  (Read 42472 times)

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
Re: What are you watching?
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2016, 07:22:38 am »
I didn't know the original writers didn't like adding sentimental stuff. It's a real shame if true, as there's some amazingly touching moments in the show that really added depth and made it different. Moments like "you are Lisa Simpson", Mother Simpson and "do it for her.".

I don't agree with the whole Zombie Simpsons feature (though it does bring some good points). I think the show has just changed of course, but not to the lengths that feature makes out. As I see it:

S1 - 3 = show building foundations
S4 - 8 = it hit it's stride.
S9 - 16 = The characters became defined by only one of their characteristics such as homer being a jerk, Lisa being smart, Bart being a "monster" while the balance of show and cartoon slipped too far into the cartoon area.
S17 - Now = we've seen the characteristics get more balanced, but the show is still a bit too cartoony in humour.

Offline sfchakan

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2016, 11:42:05 am »
This is one of my favorite things on the internet...

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2016, 08:06:05 pm »
Mr. Robot. The show is coming to its conclusion for the season next week as a two parter episode and this show gets better and better the more they unveil. I approve of them ripping off the SEGA font.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2016, 08:42:49 pm »
I don't buy that the original writers of The Simpsons didn't like having sentimentality in their scripts. Having listened to commentaries for most episodes up through season 17 it sounds like it all depends on the writer. Some lean sentimental, others don't. The staff sounded very proud of episodes like Marge Be Not Proud and Bart Sells His Soul.

Now I would say that show runners play a part in the tone of the show, and Mike Scully was notorious for off the wall humor and more mean spirited characterizations. If anything, it was Al Jean that brought sentimentality back to the series when he took over in season 13. The Critic, which Jean ran before returning to The Simpsons was almost too sentimental and schmaltzy at times. Recent seasons have had some real good heartfelt stories, and I think the staff actively try and pull at the heartstrings and go sentimental. They don't always succeed, but recent episodes like I Won't Be Home For Christmas, To Cur With Love, Holidays of Future Past, Halloween of Horror and How I Wet Your Mother went the emotional route and were effective. Holidays of Future Past was particularly poignant when adult Bart and Lisa reconnected while drunk in the treehouse. It was meant to be the series finale, and a part of me wished it was or that they shelved the episode for a finale because it was so good.

Offline Tad

« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2016, 12:45:30 am »
We obviously don't know when, but Al Jean said he thinks the show should end with the parents going to a Christmas school show so it sort of loops back round to how it started.

Another popular idea was from a fan who thought the last episode should be about giving someone a chance to write a itchy & scratchy episode. All The Simpsons decide to enter the competition and go about their daily lives with the winner being announced with their episode airing. The Simpsons then rush home to sit on the settee to watch it - just how every episode starts.

Offline Tad

« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2016, 07:20:48 am »
Also, just to add...

I think it's a real shame they didn't keep making the seasons on DVD etc. Here in the UK, it's quite difficult to watch new episodes unless you have the ridiculously expensive Sky TV and even then it's not on demand etc. With the Simpsons World being US only, we're left with it being difficult to actually keep up to date.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2016, 05:31:21 am »

Lemme take a deep breath first...

Naruto Shippudden already has a tainted reputation thanks to the gigantic amount of fillers. It doesn't help one bit that be in anime form, or manga form that Kayuga is arguably one of the worst "final" antagonists. Spoilers: The fillers already removed so the urgency to the conflict, but it was even more insulting that Kayuga was beaten in less than 3 episodes. Everything lead to her revival which was the big twist as we learn that Madara was just a pawn in Zetsu's plan. She made no impact because nobody in that fight knew her, by the time the first Hokage was in power, she was a legend, largely kept out of the history books. So her revival doesn't have the emotional payoff and it makes Madara's final demise feel a bit flat, because what he and Obito was planned was so completely off that their redemption feels a little off. Also for all the menace Kaguya posed and the enormous range of her powers it seemed counter-productive to place all of our heroes into a seperate dimension to do what? Mortally stab Naruto and Sasuke with Pain's sharp metal sticks. She clearly didn't think this through because doing all that ate away most of her chakra. Clearly she's not a fighter.

What I see in Kayuga in both the manga and the anime is a clumsy as well s rushed transition to the real final story arc.

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 22
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2018, 09:11:54 pm »
Goblin Slayer.
I like the manga, so happy to see it's adapted into anime.
Too bad the anime's famous for wrong reason.

Offline JakeIntake

« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2018, 07:06:22 am »
Went back to watching "The Da Vinci Code." May just be a decent movie, but all the same, one of my favorites.

Offline mepfu351420

« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2019, 09:22:25 am »
I watched Harry Potter Movie.

Offline Volteccer Pulseman

• Total Meseta: 1
  • Shocking, aint it?
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2019, 09:18:00 am »
I really love The Orville.  That show is not only a spiritual successor to Star Trek TNG, but it also has the best humor since Galaxy Quest.  I freakin' loved the episodes with issac turning on The Orville and the alternate timelines season 2 finale.  It also manages to do hot button topics and political correctness right, while being able to satire modern day problems as well as make you think like real science fiction should!

All around great series.  Can't wait for season 3!  I hope it DESTROYS Star Trek Discovery in the ratings.  Discovery is crap.
The world needs Sega.  Sega Forever!

Offline DONIZAL

• Banned
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2019, 03:05:07 am »
Decent, need to accomplish something like this with mine.

Offline Shihazihu

« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2019, 04:08:55 am »
Right now watching 'Big Bang' series, i just love entertaining comedy. Do recommend me some if you got one.

Offline Sega Dreamer

« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2020, 03:49:52 pm »
Right now watching 'Big Bang' series, i just love entertaining comedy. Do recommend me some if you got one.

Did you ever notice in Big Bang Theory there's a Beat figurine in the living room?