Author Topic: John Lee, banned from NeoGaf for...  (Read 30517 times)

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
Re: John Lee, banned from NeoGaf for...
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2010, 06:23:41 pm »
Bu-ttttt

Golden Eye has RPG elements, since you pick up different guns and 'power ups'. Quake 3 is my favorite RPG :) .
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2010, 06:24:30 pm »
Halo just added tons of innovations like regenerating health, LAN on consoles and pretty much just got FPS on console controls right among some other things. This is the stuff that others copied, not really the genre.

It is like with Sonic. Platformers existed before him, and were really profitable, but it was mascot-centric platformers that came out in huge doses after.

Offline Dr. SEGA Monkey

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2010, 07:08:36 pm »
Quote from: "Sega Uranus"
Halo just added tons of innovations like regenerating health, LAN on consoles and pretty much just got FPS on console controls right among some other things. This is the stuff that others copied, not really the genre.
Well, this is what I'm trying to say. I'm not saying Halo "wuz da furst fps on consuls", but that it helped make FPS explode into what it is now.

Like what Super Mario Bros. did for [s:3ujwlckd]RPGs[/s:3ujwlckd] platformers. They existed before that game, but SMB did it EXTREMELY WELL at the time. That success infliuenced other companies, which made platforming a very big genre throughout the 80's and 90's.

I feel the same happened with Halo. Back before Halo, PC shooters were always popular, but their console ports were way inferior.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2010, 07:50:40 pm »
As Sanus said, Halo really set a lot of trends for FPS on consoles, most notably the 2 weapon system, vehicles and regenerating health. It wasn't the first major console FPS, but it did set a lot of precedents.

Offline ribbitking17

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2010, 09:08:44 pm »
:!: Dr. Sega Monkey is a viral marketer :!:

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2010, 09:58:14 pm »
Quote from: "MadeManG74"
As Sanus said, Halo really set a lot of trends for FPS on consoles, most notably the 2 weapon system, vehicles and regenerating health. It wasn't the first major console FPS, but it did set a lot of precedents.

Ah yes, it is so obvious. I hate how every time someone tries to explain just WHY Halo is so good that they almost always miss the point, I even forgot some of the best reasons it was so great in my last post! That is the main reason I think Halo gets so much hate outside of just being so popular, people just do not "Get" what made it good in the first place.

Aki will get mad at me because I compare Halo and Sonic way too much, but I swear it is the same as Sonic with public reactions here. I see a lot of people now just saying the Genesis Sonic games were terrible, and just say some nonsense like "Mario clone" or something... Clearly it is not.

Okay, I am rambling. On topic now! John Lee, eh is a pretty cool guy, he viral markets and doesnt afraid of neogaf

Offline Dr. SEGA Monkey

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2010, 10:09:59 pm »
Quote from: "ribbitking17"
:arrow:  Just because I get paid to go on forums and talk about how great the Halo series is, and how it changed everybody's lives, and how every game should be like Halo, (or better yet, like Halo 3 ODST -- on sale now), doesn't mean I'm....oh never mind.

Just visit my site, and click on my ads.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2010, 10:17:41 pm »
Quote from: "Dr. SEGA Monkey"
Quote from: "ribbitking17"
:arrow:  Just because I get paid to go on forums and talk about how great the Halo series is, and how it changed everybody's lives, and how every game should be like Halo, (or better yet, like Halo 3 ODST -- on sale now), doesn't mean I'm....oh never mind.

Just visit my site, and click on my ads.

Oh lawd, I lol'd.
Aki will get mad at me because I compare Halo and Sonic way too much, but I swear it is the same as Sonic with public reactions here. I see a lot of people now just saying the Genesis Sonic games were terrible, and just say some nonsense like "Mario clone" or something... Clearly it is not.

Okay, I am rambling. On topic now! John Lee, eh is a pretty cool guy, he viral markets and doesnt afraid of neogaf

Hmm? People saying the original Genesis games are crap? The only time I've heard that was some person from another forum I stopped visiting, but he hated like 99% of everything in the video game industry anyway, so I never paid it much mind. Wouldn't surprise me if people did start hating it now for no particular reason though.

As for 'Mario Clone' I only heard Ryan say that once when he was desperately scraping the barrell to defend the horrible decisions in SSR.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2010, 05:14:38 am »
Console ports of PC game still underperform Dr SEGA Monkey... And stuff like Turok and Medal of Honor are/was bigger than stuff like Killzone and Perfect Dark sold more copies than BioShock has yet. We just so happen to have two mega selling FPS series now, but the general popularity of the genre was always there. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six was a big seller on the Playstation as well.

One game was just a massive seller for the publisher, the other won the console war.

Big difference in public reactions!

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2010, 05:36:49 am »
Aki's credibility was completely lost when he mentioned Killzone.

And since when did Xbox or Genesis win any console war?

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2010, 06:09:16 am »
Aki's credibility was completely lost when he mentioned Killzone.

... I didn't even mention it in a positive light. Do you even know how much the games sold?

And since when did Xbox or Genesis win any console war?

It was outselling the SNES right up until they finally stopped making anymore, the only reason SNES managed to overtake the Genesis in America was because SEGA stupidly dropped production of it in numbers. Otherwise SEGA outsold it in Europe and (lol) South America.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2010, 06:30:27 am »
Yes, but claiming the Genesis' success was purely because of Sonic doesn't seem right. Sega had the better marketing, a head-start etc etc.

Clearly you are a viral Marketer for for Sonic the Hedgehog, Aki-at!

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2010, 06:44:35 am »
Quote from: "MadeManG74"
Yes, but claiming the Genesis' success was purely because of Sonic doesn't seem right. Sega had the better marketing, a head-start etc etc.

Clearly you are a viral Marketer for for Sonic the Hedgehog, Aki-at!

The jig is up...

[spoiler:2a99tlos]I am AAUK![/spoiler:2a99tlos]

PS. Not sure if you are serious or not, but Mega Drive sales were really poor up until Sonic 1.

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2010, 07:05:34 am »
A really big part of the Genesis' success was from sports and arcade games too.

Winning battles is not the same thing as winning a war... The Super Nintendo also went on for years after the Genesis was dead in the water. Same with Halo... The Xbox brand would not be around today without it, but it did not single handed beat out PlayStation 2, in fact, it was completely pummeled in the end, and the PlayStation 2 is still selling dammit!

But I am not sure what you meant by Killzones sales, it came way after Halo. Remember, the big thing about it was it being the "Halo Killer"?

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2010, 07:49:44 am »
[s:3bweymw5]The year after Sonic's release SEGA went from being $800 million company to a $3.3 billion company. If that's not one game changing the fate of a company, I don't know what else. This is adding to my point to Mang.

As for the "war" you can look at it this way, if it wasn't for the awful sales of the Mega Drive in Japan, it's global sales otherwise outsold the SNES. This is why we hate Japan. And even with the SNES longer life, it only did about a million more in America than the Mega Drive, but when you add how much the Mega Drive sold in Europe and (lol) South America, it's total sales excluding Japan beats the SNES. I'll admit it didn't win the war and is a false statement, but like, Sonic becoming huge, rivaling Mickey, the comics fortnightly in the UK did around 250,000, SEGA marketing it with Forumla 1 and everything, it had just a lot bigger impact. This point is to Sanus.

I only mentioned KillZone because the recent one did really well, and so did BioShock, but there were bigger FPS games that sold more, just making the point the genre was still significantly popular even before Halo came along. This original point was to Dr SEGA Monkey, considering Sony marketed it like their BIG game, and it didn't do as well as previous big FPS, there was Resistence 2 as well, which didn't do as well as previous big FPS pre-Halo.

I'll agree Halo was revolutionary though, which Sonic never was in terms of gameplay.[/s:3bweymw5]

Actually forget everything I said, this day is finally good and I'm willing to admit I am wrong and everyone else is right!

But it really was such a terrible day :lol: