Author Topic: The "Dude, What _____ Should I Buy?" Thread  (Read 27321 times)

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
Re: The "Dude, What _____ Should I Buy?" Thread
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2010, 05:12:35 am »
Did Crackdude just compare one of Nintendo's worst ever consoles to one of SEGA's greatest?

I am... Almost completely speechless.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2010, 08:25:24 am »
I think the Gamecube is one of the best Nintendo consoles.. Not the most popular of course..

Anyway, let's all just edit our posts and pretend this never happened.
SEG4GES

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2010, 04:58:31 pm »
Quote from: "Orta"
I still have it, it's not anything special. The bongos make an interesting concept and that's about it.

Jungle Beat is like my second favorite Nintendo game of all time.  :cry:

Quote from: "Aki-at"
Did Crackdude just compare one of Nintendo's worst ever consoles to one of SEGA's greatest?

I am... Almost completely speechless.

Well, the Dreamcast does not have Dance Dance Revolution: Mario Mix.

I like the GameCube a lot, it is actually one of my favorite consoles outside of the controller. If Barry really wants some great Nintendo games he could just get most of them on here and then pick up the pieces once Wii and it's games actually drop in price. Something PlayStation 3 stuff constantly does.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2010, 09:36:37 am »
This time I've got to ask: what movies are worth buying on Blu-ray? Y'know, ones that really kick ass in HD.

Thus far on my list are:
The Dark Knight
Watchmen: Ultimate Cut
Terminator Salvation (I liked it, what can I say...)
Up (already own it)
Monsters Inc.
Clone Wars Season 1

My DVD collection can be seen here btw: http://bharmon.dvdaf.com/owned

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Total Meseta: 24
  • Smotrenfu!
    • http://www.CliveBarkerCast.com
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2010, 09:55:04 am »
For me you see the biggest difference with daylight and outdoor scenes, blue skies and what-not.  The Shining is probably the most impressive one I've seen, and it's pretty cheap.  That's a good one to start with.  Don't get any bare-bones ones.  Predator was really bad quality, but there's a new special edition of Predator coming out that looks promising.

Also I thought Enter the Dragon was really good, but last time I said that Chizzles said it had fake color.  I don't know how he knows that, since you have to have seen it in the theater to see the original quality.  I was -1 in 1973.  it's really helpful to google reviews of blu-rays before you buy them.  Some movies are no different on blu-Ray.

...Now I've seen your collection, I'd get the Ultimate Matrix Collection, the Spiderman Collection, T2 Skynet edition (on the main menu, Skynet figures out where you live and puts it on a map), and do you already have the dvd/Blu-Ray combo pack for Ponyo?

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2010, 10:26:31 am »
Thanks for the tips!

Spider-man and the T2 are definite buys for the future. I don't have the Ponyo combo, just dvd, then again I can't see myself watching that too much. However, I'm hoping Spirited Away gets an HD release soon. Also, FLCL (Fooly Cooly) is hitting blu-ray this winter. Finally I can toss that Hong Kong bootleg.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2010, 04:02:00 pm »
FLCL is the single most exciting piece of anime I have ever seen.
SEG4GES

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2010, 05:30:01 pm »
Quote from: "crackdude"
Yeah dude! I have the art book for it. Awesome stuff. I haven't rewatched it in a long time. Gonna have to rewatch it this weekend.

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2010, 01:00:40 am »
Quote from: "Barry the Nomad"
Quote from: "crackdude"
Yeah dude! I have the art book for it. Awesome stuff. I haven't rewatched it in a long time. Gonna have to rewatch it this weekend.

I've been trying to track it down on DVD for a long time. Thanks for the info about the new release.

Offline Orta

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2010, 04:57:22 am »
13 inch Laptop.

I'm really inclined to a Macbook Pro but I feel it's somewhat of a waste of money right now. It's the only model in the current line with the old line of Intel processors. On the other hand the battery is something out of the ordinary. I haven't checked out other computers apart from this one and the Asus UL30Vt which I think is a waste too.

It sucks to be a nerd. You know how the hardware works and you will never be 100% satisfied. For reference, I took about three months to pick an MP3 player and about six in my quest for a monitor/TV combo (which was rare at the time) with video connectors of almost all sorts.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2010, 05:32:19 am »
Quote from: "Orta"
13 inch Laptop.

I'm really inclined to a Macbook Pro but I feel it's somewhat of a waste of money right now. It's the only model in the current line with the old line of Intel processors. On the other hand the battery is something out of the ordinary. I haven't checked out other computers apart from this one and the Asus UL30Vt which I think is a waste too.

It sucks to be a nerd. You know how the hardware works and you will never be 100% satisfied. For reference, I took about three months to pick an MP3 player and about six in my quest for a monitor/TV combo (which was rare at the time) with video connectors of almost all sorts.
If you're considering a Mac then why even bother looking at other computers? With a Mac you can have both MacOS and Windows, so you get the best and the most popular in one package. As for price, the software included with MacOS (iLife and such) alone would cost you some crazy money, adding up the nice design and good durability the MacBook is quite few notches up of your standard portable fare.

I love the 13" size. And it is hard to find portables that size that (1) aren't needlessly expensive and (2) aren't crap.
3 years ago I got a 1200€ 14" Vaio. It looked fantastic and the specs seemed fine.. But the quality of the finish wasn't that good (everything is completely worn out by now and looks like crap), it feels plastic-y and the specs didn't include a decent gfx card, which crippled my experience with the computer.
If I could go back I would get the high-end 13" macbook pro for the same price.

You also have the white MacBook. It's considerably cheaper, and still has good hardware inside. A friend of mine caught a Fnac sale that included the MacBook plus 2GB RAM expansion for 1000€. He says it's the best thing he ever bought. I'm jealous.
SEG4GES

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2010, 07:53:09 am »
Hey Orta, just stumbled upon this! http://http://www.fnac.pt/Apple-MacBook-Pro-13-2-26GHz-MB990-Computador-Portatil-Computador-Portatil/a55160?SID=a7ac26de-4e28-e2ce-100a-067b855588fd&UID=03764ABD4-6755-BBB8-5A91-8716840474A0&Origin=FnacAff&OrderInSession=1&TTL=230120111451&PID=1

I'm thinking of getting one myself! Though this also means that a new version is about to be announced.

EDIT: Comparing with the models in the Apple Store it is a bit weaker spec wise. But the price is much lower, so it balances out if you're in a tight budget.
SEG4GES

Offline Orta

« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2010, 01:31:58 pm »
It's the old model. The current one has been on sale for a few months now. Thanks for the heads up anyway. I didn't even consider the plastic Macbook for two reasons: it's white and glossy and the rubber bottom... ew... and for a little bit more I can get the superior Pro.

I honestly don't care about operating systems, I've used all the three most popular operating systems and I can honestly say they all suck in their own different ways. The games goes to software. In short, I make everything crash.

The MBP feels a tad too steep because it doesn't come with USB 3 and the "i" processor from Intel. They said the processor doesn't physically fit inside the computer. I want the computer to last and buying one with outdated specifications feels like a waste of money. I don't really want to wait either. <.< Apple has the "back to school" promotion at the moment so I could get an ipod and the computer for around €1100 with the education discount.

Eh. I dunno. I want a PS3 too. :lol:

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2010, 07:50:46 pm »
There was a time when I really cared about all the intense specs of the computers, but ever since Core 2 Duo I've yet to see any noticeable difference in these new processors. Take into account that I don't game on my PC, but for intense use in work applications, spreadsheets and some video editing every processor seems about just as great at those things.
And only today did I heard about USB 3.0. Does any of current products support it? Either way, USB 2.0 is fine too..

I just don't think that computer hardware is evolving in a noticeable way. But that's from my experience. I guess you should take into account that stuff if it will be useful to you. From what I read, Apple won't be putting USB3 in their computers soon anyway.. Something about Intel not yet giving them the chips?
SEG4GES

Offline Orta

« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2010, 04:58:37 am »
I have no idea. Either way, it's probably not a valid reason. There aren't many USB 3 devices right now but there will be. I'd like the computer to last. If I get the Mac I'll let you know I installed Windows in it.