Author Topic: What do you guys think is the future for Sega?  (Read 12189 times)

Offline coreystol61

• Banned
What do you guys think is the future for Sega?
« on: February 10, 2021, 10:49:21 am »

From the recent news about sega going more mobile and Sonic still having console games, the future for Sega is still unclear. From news sites writing on how Sonic is dead and the CEO of Sega admitting to betraying the trust of fans. What do you think is the future for Sega and Sonic? Do you think they realized there wrong doing and will attempt to fix their business strategy, or will they go belly up?
I'm asking this because I'm a huge sonic fan, and despite the recent flak given to the sonic franchise over sonic boom, I still think sonic team at least can make good sonic games(I understand Sonic team didn't make Sonic Boom however). I really hope the team isn't stuck on doing mobile titles because of the lack of budgeting to make console games.

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 22
Re: What do you guys think is the future for Sega?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 03:17:07 am »
If SEGA admitted that they were betraying the trust of fans, at least it means that they reflect.
As wise men says : "Do not regret. Reflect !"
As future of Sonic games, don't worry, Sonic games always sold well despite of the ratings.
I remember Aaron said Sonic Forces sold well and we know how bad the rating of that game is.
It's just hopefully that the 30th Anniversary Sonic games would be a lot better than both Mania and Forces.
Well, at least better than Forces and as good as Mania, Mania is already good.

About the future of SEGA, according to their annual reports, these three franchises alone have generated a lot profit for SEGA.

And they still have many other franchises, so the potential is still there.
So I wouldn't worry about SEGA's future.

Offline FJackson93

• Total Meseta: 0
    • Bonus Czystość
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2022, 07:03:58 am »
As we can see, SEGA has pretty good income and sales. They are doing quite well. Unfortunately, it seems they don't take much care of arcades and older titles, just working on new games from the series from the 'big 3'. I'd wish they tried to make a new console/arcade, but I guess that won't ever happen.

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 22
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2022, 02:17:06 am »
As we can see, SEGA has pretty good income and sales. They are doing quite well. Unfortunately, it seems they don't take much care of arcades and older titles, just working on new games from the series from the 'big 3'. I'd wish they tried to make a new console/arcade, but I guess that won't ever happen.

I don't know about future console but about arcade, the thing is ...

In western, Sega Amusements International (SAI) has been bought by Kaizen Entertainment. Kaizen Entertainment is a holding company made by former SAI leader (Paul Williams). He initiated a “Management Buy Out” of SAI through that.

Article : http://segabits.com/blog/2021/04/15/sega-closes-sale-on-sega-amusements-international-and-what-it-means-for-the-future-of-western-sega-arcades/

Their games now mostly are from western movie franchise (Jumanji, Mission Impossible, Men in Black).

In Japan SEGA has leave arcade management business....

Article : http://segabits.com/blog/2022/01/27/genda-sega-entertainment-changes-name-to-genda-gigo-fully-acquiring-segas-japanese-arcade-management-division/

They still produce games but only for Japanese and Asian market (Initial D, KanColle, maimai, Chunithm, Pokemon Corogarena, etc).

With the way they are right now, I highly doubt that SEGA's golden era of arcade will make a comeback.