Author Topic: And the DC Comics Movie Universe Begins...  (Read 30613 times)

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
Re: And the DC Comics Movie Universe Begins...
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2014, 12:01:26 pm »
One thing I'm wondering is if we're going to get superhero fatigue in the coming years? There's only so many blockbusters about heroes saving the world against an evil threat that people can take after so long and I just don't see this lasting much longer (Especially as Fox and Sony are going to go all in with the superhero licenses they still have.)

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2014, 12:16:53 pm »
One thing I'm wondering is if we're going to get superhero fatigue in the coming years? There's only so many blockbusters about heroes saving the world against an evil threat that people can take after so long and I just don't see this lasting much longer (Especially as Fox and Sony are going to go all in with the superhero licenses they still have.)

I've been wondering about that myself, but I thought there might have been a slowdown already. I guess it'll depend on how they handle the movies and which properties they use. I think Guardians of the Galaxy was a perfect choice and came at the perfect time. It didn't feel like 'another Marvel  movie' at all, it was just a rollicking space opera sci-fi, the kind we haven't had in a long time.

I guess the same could be said of Cap America 2 as well, it was more of a thriller/action movie than a typical cape film? Not quite to the same extent, but a little different. I think they could do some interesting fantasy/spooky stuff with Doctor Strange and try to use a few other characters that don't lend themselves to the usual style to keep mixing things up. Daredevil/Punisher would make great vigilante style movies, although I understand DD is getting a TV series instead and Punisher is still in Limbo.
At least they aren't going ahead with "Punisher: I can't believe it's not Dexter!"

Offline inthesky

• Total Meseta: 5
  • Altaha Abilia
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2014, 03:47:24 pm »
I agree with some of the criticism that the action was too 'action hero' considering that in the comics it just felt like regular people fighting. Sorta dropped the ball there, but regardless of these little hiccups you expect from 'comic' to 'movie', it was really entertaining and well done. Better than the comic? Never. Watchmen is revered as a comicbook for a reason. Its like Wizard of Oz, totally different from the book but iconic in its own way.

I don't think the Watchmen movie will have too much staying power. Maybe Warner Bros was hoping this would happen and invested in it as much but I think it'll be remember as just an interesting movie. I would put it among something like Kick-Ass 1.

I think there are reasons to say yes and no. The superhero blockbuster formula is a very winning idea and seems easy to sell commercially (how many freaking Batman and Spider-Man movies have we had already.) Plus between the classic superhero icons, Marvel and DC combined, and the accumulation of successful films, they've got stability and freedom to experiment (Ant-Man, Guardians.) On the flip side, I agree with what you say - saturation or fatigue will set in, and DC and Marvel -are- interested in competing with each other. These companies' successes will only push them to make more.
Proud recipient of the second ever Gary Player Award!
I support Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia HD ports!

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2014, 06:48:54 pm »
I don't know how you would even compare Watchmen to Kickass one. One is a comic based on a serious graphic novel, with award winning dialog by Alan Moore and the other one is a 'teen comedy' over the top comic created by Mark Millar (who is in the comic industry known as a very meh writer).

Not that I'm saying Watchmen is anywhere near as good as the comic, but even being based on the comic and getting the dialogue right makes that movie 10x better than Kickass which is just a fun movie.

Its like comparing Sin City to like, X-Men movie to me.

Offline inthesky

• Altaha Abilia
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2014, 10:13:57 pm »
Not in any sense of artistic merit/how "good" the movies were, tone, or intended target or whatever. I just understood them to be moderately commercial successful movie adaptations of cult hits with mature content. And the movies were released pretty close to each other.

I was trying to convey the degree to which Watchmen movie would be remembered.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 10:16:57 pm by inthesky »

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2014, 08:37:29 am »

Yes and No. I think the fatigue with these type of superhero movies is that we've been only seeing movies based off Marvel properties. Hence I understand why Warner Brothers, Sony and Fox want to ramp up their products.

Though to be honest, Sony doesn't have a whole lot going on right now: They gave on Ghost Rider, Amazing Spiderman 2's reception has done more harm than good which is why many Sony SH projects are in limbo right now (Sinister Six movie, ASM 3 & 4, Venom movie). Fox has X-Men locked down tight and they still wanna have another go at Fantastic Four.

Warner Brothers announcement has me curious 'cause for the moment, seems to have more diversity than Marvel's current lineup.
The solo movies sandwiched between BvS and JL: Part I & II seem to be a clear way to reserve enginneer their way into having a shared universe and open them up for solo movies.

Batman vs Superman will introduce Wonder Woman, Cyborg and possibly Aquaman, making them game their own solo movie, instead of making solo movies first, then setting up a team.

2016 still feels so far away. Hopefully we'll start getting more info on that Suicide Squad movie.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2014, 08:42:25 am »
I don't know how you would even compare Watchmen to Kickass one. One is a comic based on a serious graphic novel, with award winning dialog by Alan Moore and the other one is a 'teen comedy' over the top comic created by Mark Millar (who is in the comic industry known as a very meh writer).

Not that I'm saying Watchmen is anywhere near as good as the comic, but even being based on the comic and getting the dialogue right makes that movie 10x better than Kickass which is just a fun movie.

Its like comparing Sin City to like, X-Men movie to me.

From what I've heard about the comic of Kick-Ass it's just super-edgy shit. they should have kept the movie like that, and just made it ultra grim-dark BS, like the main characters love interest sending him photos of herself blowing some guy, and him crying and masturbating (i'm not making this up). Now THAT would be remembered, for better or worse.

Offline George

« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2014, 04:41:13 pm »
YEah, in the comic Big Daddy also lied about Hitgirl's mom being murdered. He just wanted to be a super hero and sold old comics to buy and finance their gun trade. Also in the sequel 'Motherfucker' rapes that girl that Kickass liked, even tho they never really dated in the comics.

Offline inthesky

• Altaha Abilia
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2014, 05:49:23 pm »
Yeah in the end seems like Kick-Ass the movie was positioned as something more for high schoolers ("what would the parents think!"), maybe college students. Whichever edgy parts they went with were hindered by moments of introspection or reflection, just like general stuff about Hit-Girl and Big Daddy being deranged, Kick-Ass not really understanding being a superhero) Didn't bother with the second one but thought the first one was alright. It was ultimately a lot safer than it looked, though that's not necessarily too bad.

Offline George

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2014, 06:29:34 pm »
I did like the first kickass movie, the second was meh. Didn't feel the same as the first film and based on some really fucked up shit that happen in the graphic novel... it was toned down.

The shitty part is that I rather them just drop Kickass movies and move on to other Mark Millar creator own work like a movie for Superior, Jupiter Legacy and Starlight.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2014, 02:14:58 am »
Margot Robbie to play Harley Quinn in Suicide Squad Movie?

I wonder if this version of Harley Quinn will be more in tune with the New 52 version, I mean she's basically Deadpool.

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 22
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2021, 09:39:12 pm »
Happy 83rd Birthday to Superman !!!  :)