Author Topic: Nintendo  (Read 25124 times)

Offline Kuronoa

• Total Meseta: 3
    • Segalization
Re: Nintendo
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2016, 09:05:34 am »
Huh?  Splatoon did end up doing well in sales and bumped Japan's hardware sales at times.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 09:19:47 am by Kuronoa »

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2016, 09:32:52 am »
Huh?  Splatoon did end up doing well in sales and bumped Japan's hardware sales at times.
Of course it did. It was the only landmark game to come out on the system all year.
If I was a Nintendo fan I wouldn't settle for that.

Hell, I wouldn't settle for that if Sega did it.
SEG4GES

Offline Kuronoa

• Segalization
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2016, 09:41:55 am »
What's a landmark game?  People love Xenoblade, Mario Maker and Yoshi was the best one since the SNES game.
The console is mostly supported by indie now.  It sucks, but I still like the console.

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2016, 10:04:41 am »
What's a landmark game?  People love Xenoblade, Mario Maker and Yoshi was the best one since the SNES game.
The console is mostly supported by indie now.  It sucks, but I still like the console.

2 of which are definitely not needed on a Nintendo console: platformers. As for Xenoblade...that seemed to arrive in a very meh manner.

Offline Kuronoa

• Segalization
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2016, 10:13:43 am »
I would get chewed out on other forums if I disregard games for being part of a saturated genre.  I could also list indie games that are good last year but some people don't count those either. =/

All I know is, there has been some great stuff on Wii U last year but also, it wasn't a good year for Metacritic thanks to poor filler titles too.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 10:16:13 am by Kuronoa »

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2016, 10:56:00 am »
No. It was a completely subpar year for Nintendo. Even more so when you look at the barrage of actually pretty good titles coming out on the PS4 and Xbone.

As I said, when your best/only good game all year is Splatoon, somthing's terribly wrong.

Also, Mario Maker is fun, but it's a tool. Not a game, a tool for making levels of a 1985 videogame.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 10:57:39 am by crackdude »
SEG4GES

Offline Tad

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2016, 11:28:41 am »
I would get chewed out on other forums if I disregard games for being part of a saturated genre.  I could also list indie games that are good last year but some people don't count those either. =/

All I know is, there has been some great stuff on Wii U last year but also, it wasn't a good year for Metacritic thanks to poor filler titles too.

Nintendo's list of platformers is simply ridiculous on the Wii u. The indie titles do indeed count, but apart from one or two, most are on others hardware too. Also, Metacritic is a joke anyway.

Offline Kuronoa

• Segalization
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2016, 01:17:21 pm »
As I said, when your best/only good game all year is Splatoon, somthing's terribly wrong.

I'll agree to disagree because I played more good games than just Splatoon last year.  Fast Racing Neo is another example of a racing game I don't get on the other consoles yet.

Nintendo's list of platformers is simply ridiculous on the Wii u. The indie titles do indeed count, but apart from one or two, most are on others hardware too. Also, Metacritic is a joke anyway.

It's always going to be the dominate genre on Nintendo brand.  I don't mind because nobody else makes retail platformers as often.    I couldn't tell you how hard it is to discuss indie games on a place like FAQs where everybody just funpost.  "so desperate to list indie games1!"
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 01:21:41 pm by Kuronoa »

Offline Tad

« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2016, 01:34:51 pm »
Yeah, but I'm sure you'll agree when I say they need to start doing more to reach different audiences. They haven't got a game outside their usual m.o. You can always talk on here about indie. I'll glady dicuss them :)

Offline Kuronoa

• Segalization
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2016, 02:57:32 pm »
Their priorities should be to fix up 3rd party to fill in their missing blanks.  I don't want Sony/Microsoft type games from Nintendo themselves, I want them to be more eccentric.

That said, they did abandon a few trends themselves.  They used to make more non-Mario sports games in the past for example.

Offline Tad

« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2016, 04:37:28 pm »
They use to make more games in general, but they've failed to adapt or expand on the creative talent avaliable in the west. Which makes the decision to make loads in one genre only a bit bizarre in my opinion. A lot like SEGA, they have a vast library of games, but they seem to focus on just the 3/4 and throw the rest to the side.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 04:47:06 pm by Tad »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2016, 05:10:10 pm »
Difference being SEGA doesn't have to support a console so they don't have to cover every genre. Nintendo, meanwhile, does and they haven't. Wii U was very disappointing for me in 2015.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2016, 08:05:24 pm »
SEGA is actually more diverse in what they offer than Nintendo. While you guys might not like mobile games, SEGA has already gotten 4-5 apps in Japan make 4 million > a month. Some of the apps have been doing that for 3 years plus. They have more merch deals, animation deals and movie deals with their legacy brands. Not only that they have more talented western expansion with Creative Assembly and Sports Interactive. Each of their games sells 2 million + without much marketing.

Then they have their Japanese stuff like Yakuza, Sonic, now Valkyria Chronicles, and so on. While the Japanese branch suffered recently, they are slowly picking up steam and they are trying to gather new talent to move the company forward.

That seems diverse, no?

Offline Tad

« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2016, 03:07:22 am »
True on both counts. It's probably elitist of me, but I don't really count mobile games as they just pass me by. I'm not saying SEGA aren't diverse mind. I'm just saying like Nintendo, they do leave a lot in the past that could probably do well now if implemented well.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2016, 03:33:38 am »
Nintendo has botched every franchise to a pulp, except for Mario.
SEG4GES