Author Topic: Just Die Already  (Read 5196 times)

Offline Spock

• Total Meseta: 2
Just Die Already
« on: July 01, 2016, 11:52:39 pm »
What was the hardest boss battle in a video game that you have ever had to face?

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
Re: Just Die Already
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 04:30:15 am »
SEG4GES

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 10:21:01 am »
The fish boss in Majora's Mask. Absolutely hated it as a kid.

Offline Spock

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 01:31:01 am »
I have still yet to beat Sephiroth from Kingdom Hearts. I have been trying almost every year for as long as the game was released. Online tutorials still don't help me with this thing. Though, I did see the ending on YouTube.

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 10:59:19 am »
This might be kinda tangential, but I was trying out the newly-released Firefight mode in Halo 5 and the bosses in that mode are "hard," only in the sense that they apparently have astronomical HP. Otherwise they just stand there and you're wailing on them for 10 minutes trying to get their lifebar to go down. It's so disappointing and lazy. I'd say Destiny has similar types of bosses that are just bullet-sponges, although some of them do have creative visual and audio design. And I'm going to assume that the other MMO-lite du jour, The Division, has pretty much the same thing, although I've only played the demo. I think it's just cheap game design. How can we make this boss battle hard? Give them some outrageous amount of HP. These Western studios with their sense of superiority should take a step back and look at the boss battles of Japanese games, that even in the 8-bit era were already featuring bosses that go through two, three or more transformations in the course of a battle, each time having new patterns of attacks and weaknesses to learn. I guess maybe the Souls series carries on this tradition? I haven't played them.

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 02:32:14 am »
1. Father Rodin in Bayonetta 1.

2. Ornstein and Smough in Dark Souls

Beat O&S, but haven't beat Rodin yet. God damn. Too fucking hard.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 08:33:19 am »
There was that coked up dude in Alpha Protocol.

Insane tracing hits.
SEG4GES

Offline NoirSuede

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 08:57:57 am »
This might be kinda tangential, but I was trying out the newly-released Firefight mode in Halo 5 and the bosses in that mode are "hard," only in the sense that they apparently have astronomical HP. Otherwise they just stand there and you're wailing on them for 10 minutes trying to get their lifebar to go down. It's so disappointing and lazy. I'd say Destiny has similar types of bosses that are just bullet-sponges, although some of them do have creative visual and audio design. And I'm going to assume that the other MMO-lite du jour, The Division, has pretty much the same thing, although I've only played the demo. I think it's just cheap game design. How can we make this boss battle hard? Give them some outrageous amount of HP. These Western studios with their sense of superiority should take a step back and look at the boss battles of Japanese games, that even in the 8-bit era were already featuring bosses that go through two, three or more transformations in the course of a battle, each time having new patterns of attacks and weaknesses to learn. I guess maybe the Souls series carries on this tradition? I haven't played them.
Well in the new Doom all of the bosses have stages with their own attack patterns (and anti circle-strafing counter-measures) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97_io1eJPfY

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 23
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2016, 09:43:51 pm »
As for me, bosses that could heal themselves are the hardest (and unfair !!!).
Eternal Champion (EC), Dark Samus (MP3), Virgil (DMC3), Zeus (GOW III), or Gill (SFIII),
they always made me furious every time they regenerate health for themselves.