Author Topic: Thor: The video game interview coming this weekend.  (Read 5526 times)

Offline Shigs

• Total Meseta: 5
Thor: The video game interview coming this weekend.
« on: July 24, 2010, 03:11:51 am »
I got a nice interview with the producer. Nux will post it later.

For now, I can tell you who the developers are.

For the DS, we get ........WayForward!! The guys behind "Brave and the Bold, Contra 4 and A Boy and his Blob"!! Very good!!

For the Wii/PSP, We have .......Red Fly Studios. The guys behind Mushroom Men, the Spore Wars. A well reviewed game that bombed. Alright. At least their last game got good reviews, so they're solid.

Lastly for the PS3/360 we have......Liquid Entertainment?! Developers best known for RTS's and Desperate Housewives:The game.  Not that this game is a third person action adventure. We're doomed!!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »
Grammar Expert Plus

Offline Deefy

• Total Meseta: 6
  • SupporterOfSEGA & F.C.Internazionale
Re: Thor: The video game interview coming this weekend.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 09:07:15 am »
Quote from: "Shigs"
Lastly for the PS3/360 we have......Liquid Entertainment?! Developers best known for RTS's and Desperate Housewives:The game.  Not that this game is a third person action adventure. We're doomed!!

Their last game was a third person action adventure : Rise of the Argonauts, published by Codemasters, but unfortunately got bad reviews.

Anyway Liquid Entertainment is known to be the developer of the game from a couple of years, so i hope that having a lot of time available, at least make a good game :roll:
SEGA STYLE

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 12:51:58 pm »
One Developer at a time PS3/360 Liquid Entertainment:
Develops less than 1 game a year.

Rise of the Argonauts Crititic Average 5.9
Desperate Housewives Critic Average 5.4
Dragonshard Critic Average 8.0
Lord of the Rings Critic Average 6.8

Expect Thor to receive 6.75

Next we have Red Fly Studio (PSP/Wii) that has been around for little over 2 years and develops several games a year:

Food Network (wii) Critic Average 6.4
Mushroom Men: Rise of the Fungi (DS) Critic Average 4.8
Mushroom Men: The Spore Wars (wii) Critic Average 7.3

Thor receives 6.3 from critics.

Lastly we have Way Forward a seasonal developer around for some time that also churns out multiple releases a year:

Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem (DS) 4.2
A Boy and His Blob (WII) 8.2
Where the Wild Things Are (DS) 6.4
Mighty Flip Champs! (DSware) 8.3
LIT (WIIware) 7.5
Contra 4 Critic Average 8.4

Excluding the digital releases the game will get 6.75
including it will give you around a 7.

So basically none of the games are destined to be great and the course of Simon Jeffery continues, we still haven't recovered the damage he has done yet we have to endure further pain caused by him.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 02:02:22 pm »
article title suggestion: "The Interview You've Been Waiting Thor!"

Offline Shigs

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 03:38:53 pm »
LOL! I love it! Nux will be the one posting it though as he has the recorder.
Grammar Expert Plus

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 04:52:14 pm »
Quote from: "cube_b3"
So basically none of the games are destined to be great and the course of Simon Jeffery continues, we still haven't recovered the damage he has done yet we have to endure further pain caused by him.

Pain? The game is going to sell millions regardless of quality. In some ways, it makes more sense to let these games be shit, since they'll sell anyway, and actually put more effort into IPs that really need to live or die by their quality instead.

Having said that, lets not jump to conclusions just yet. Supposedly they've known about this game, and been working on it for some time, they MIGHT just turn out something good.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 12:55:58 am »
WayForward are a really mixed developer, but I love them - As much as I could love any developer who dislikes the Genesis, I guess.

How DARE Cube specifically ignore Shantae though, that might be the best handheld game of all time!

Not really expecting much, but like Mang said, we really cannot call much until we at least see a bit more about these games. I think it is actually pretty easy to make a good game about Thor, but I guess I said the same about Iron Man too.

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 06:18:29 am »
Quote from: "MadeManG74"

Pain? The game is going to sell millions regardless of quality. In some ways, it makes more sense to let these games be shit, since they'll sell anyway, and actually put more effort into IPs that really need to live or die by their quality instead.

Your saying it as if your the one whose making that money. In either case I find it unethical even if you are about to lose the liscense it doesn't give you the right to provide an inferior service.

Let's take a very basic example you are a plumber, and have been working in a neighbourhood for X years, now the neighbourhood has found another Plumber to do there work for them and you won't work there after this year, would you install inferior pipes just because you are leaving.

Simon Jeffery was the worst president of Sega, he was worse than Bernie. He got tie in deals for which he produced crappy games that produced short run profits and damaged Sega's Quality Assuarnce in the long run.

PLEASE NEVER UNDERMINE HIS PATHETIC ACTIONS (there are several things he fucked, if you don't know them PM me cause it would be offtopic :))

Having said that, lets not jump to conclusions just yet. Supposedly they've known about this game, and been working on it for some time, they
MIGHT just turn out something good.

I took out a simple average of Thor games based on all studios previous performance, so it is a standardized prediction and it will be on par with everything else the pathethic president has done.

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 08:27:51 am »
Most people who would be interested in this game do not give a shit about SEGA or their history, they just care about the IP the game is based on, and usually they do not care how the product turns out regardless. When I was like five I loved TaleSpin on the Genesis, but in actuality it is easily one of SEGA's worst games of all time. At the time it came out, I could not care less about what other people thought, I just knew that I liked the IP and that I could play the game with friends, so I enjoyed it.

Comparing this to a rushed plumbing job does not make any sense. In the case of that you could get sued, last I checked no one ever got sued for making a shitty game. Budget cuts do not always hurt games either. Sonic 06 took bundles of money and three years to release unfinished, poorly planned and in some cases considered one of the worst games of all time, while something like The House of the Dead Overkill had barely any money put into development and was made in just over a year, but turned out to be one of the highest rated and loved Wii games the year it came out.

People can also improve. Naughty Dog for instance started out as one of the shittiest game developers around, but now they are easily some of the best in the whole world.

Of course I am not trying to soften the blow of Simon Jeffrey, but what does this all matter in the end regardless? Who on this site even really cares about Thor? When Barry posted about it on the front page he did not even know the origin of the mythology.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 09:46:00 am »
Yeah, Thor and green lantern are the only two comic superheroes I know nothing about. Of course, even if I did I still would have made the Anchorman reference. ;)

btw Sanus, Tail Spin for the Genny is awesome! I loved that back in the day. Glitches and all! I remember filling the screen with crabs to create intense slowdown.

As for cube, dude you need to seriously chill. It's like in each post you make threats to others if they dare to make an opposing opinion to what you just wrote. Not sure if it's a language barrier thing, but it makes you come off as... Well, fill in the blank.  

And don't dare question what I just said!!! <- see how weird that looks?

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 10:00:22 am »
Thor is the best known Norse God. What about Tournament of Legends? That like, came out this month! I am kind of surprised you did not hear of the God of thunder, Shadi is even named after him (seriously)!

On TaleSpin: It is not because of the glitches that make it suck, like almost everything is not good - One of the worst Genesis games for sure. Good for a laugh or two though, especially if you played it years back. I actually beat it recently even. If you want more of that crap, check out the spiritual sequel Greendog, it is actually way worse, but it has the same sounds and stuff!

On Cube: He kind of overreacted, but I do not think he meant the last post as an attack on others opinions.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 04:36:20 am »
Quote from: "MadeManG74"

Your saying it as if your the one whose making that money. In either case I find it unethical even if you are about to lose the liscense it doesn't give you the right to provide an inferior service.

Let's take a very basic example you are a plumber, and have been working in a neighbourhood for X years, now the neighbourhood has found another Plumber to do there work for them and you won't work there after this year, would you install inferior pipes just because you are leaving.

I'm not pretending that these are the only games that make money, but they DO sell a LOT, and almost certainly make money for Sega.

I can see your point of view with regards to 'ethics' but I think you're looking at it completely wrong. Sega is not trying to make a bad game here, no developer WANTS to make bad games. If these games are bad, it's because of time restrictions, tough guidelines set by others or a combination of factors. I have no reason to doubt they are doing their best to make a good game here, but by the nature of these games, it's very difficult to do so.

The comparison with the plumber also makes no sense, if a plumber does a bad job and causes damage to the house or doesn't repair what he was supposed to, then people have the right to sue him. He's breached the contract that he would repair it.

On the contrary, there is no such contract between the consumer and the publisher that a game will be of a certain quality. Unless they promise something that they specifically do not deliver on, then there is nothing 'un-ethical' about releasing a poor quality game.

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 07:47:14 pm »
Yes, in retrospect my plumber example doesn't apply to well.

Although my counter to your fine comments sir, SimJef has a track recor of allocating the wrong developers to projects Secret Level was a wrong investment to begin with and he not only let them destroy Iron Man but a Sega classic as well.

Developers know what they are getting into when they sign up to develop a game it isn't like somebody cut their development time in half.

Today Sonic Team isn't a AAA developer but Sonic Adventure 2 was made with a short time distance between Adventure 1, and they also developed Samba, Chu Chu, and Phantasy Star while supervising other games such as Sonic Shuffle. My point here the proucers need to hire the right director to work with in the time limits SimJef wasn't good at that.

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 02:06:06 am »
Sonic Adventure 2 was one of the last major Dreamcast releases (this is a single platform, not four or more and it was SEGA's own), and was actually the last Sonic game before Sonic the Hedgehog 4 that was actually delayed a few months. The situation is different now.

Simon Jeffrey pretty much was the wrong man for the job on all accounts, but he was not purposely trying to make all of this suck and not sell. He just did not really know how to handle the branch. I honestly think Secret Level had a lot of promise and could have done really great things, but all of their talents were wasted because they were given a big blockbuster games to make from scratch when their real skill was porting and converting others work. They could have ported over Valkyria, Yakuza and perhaps a bunch of arcade titles as well. Again, this leads to Simon Jeffery not really knowing what he was doing, but in the end SEGA will learn from their mistakes and continue on. That is how our species improves with time, except for Steven Seagal as he eats blind children to grow in power.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2010, 05:08:53 am »
Yes, in retrospect my plumber example doesn't apply to well.

Although my counter to your fine comments sir, SimJef has a track recor of allocating the wrong developers to projects Secret Level was a wrong investment to begin with and he not only let them destroy Iron Man but a Sega classic as well.

I agree with you that Secret Level was badly mis-managed by Sega under Simon Jeffries.

I was just saying that I do have to feel some sympathy for the developers who get stuck with Movie-games, since they can be a real challenge in many ways. I really do hope they can make something good, especially after Sega said they gave this game a lot of dev time and attention to avoid Iron Man happening again.