Author Topic: Just finished HOTD: Overkill  (Read 9639 times)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: Just finished HOTD: Overkill
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2010, 10:15:55 am »
Wait, did Cube pirate Overkill? Well then, all his typing is null and void in my opinion. Import the game you cheap little-
Unless they don't allow imports mailed in where you are. If that's the case, then maybe you were never meant to play the game.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2010, 01:06:56 pm »
Forget pirate look at it this way I was over at someone's place, who had the game I played their copy on their system.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2010, 01:35:57 pm »
^ what was the point of the PM you sent when you said the same thing here?

anyway, your location aside, I'm not a fan of those DLing SEGA games when said games are still available at retail.

Aside from getting the game for free/putting money into the pockets of those other than the devs (usually those associated with worse shady dealings), pirated copies are also prone to problems that don't occur in official releases. How is one to know that a glitch or a bit of slowdown isn't due to a shoddy burned disc?

Case in point: I played a Crazy Taxi contest at a convention, and found out that they were using burned CDs (as if Crazy Taxi wasn't a common game). Halfway through playing the environment disappeared and the car was driving in nothingness. Now I knew it was due to it being pirated, as I have never seen a glitch like that on my retail copy, however anybody else watching thought it simply because Crazy Taxi must be a glitchy game.

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2010, 02:12:58 pm »
All I can say about not liking the overall style/design choices of the game is this... I don't really feel an immediate attraction to the design of Bayonetta, but I can see that it is fully realized and completely internally consistent.  I could also see that the game was going to be superb, so I didn't let my initial dislike for the design get in the way of my enjoyment of the game.  I haven't played HOTD Overkill, but I can tell that they went for the grindhouse style, which has rarely been attempted in video games, and it looks like they really succeeded.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2010, 09:36:37 pm »
Grindhouse movies are a very western thing, especially in America. I could see folks abroad probably not liking (or getting) the style/design choices in Overkill, especially outside of Europe.

I've played a good half of the game (retail release) at a friends house and gotta say that they nailed the grindhouse style, incest, over the top violence, f-bombs and all.

If HOTD: EX is classic HOTD meets cute Japanese style, Overkill is classic HOTD meets American grindhouse.

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2010, 09:30:52 am »
I've only seen 2 grindhouse flicks part of the Terintino/Rodriguez Grindhouse Double Bill. So I will compare the game with them:

Death Proof, I see nothing in common with the game and death proof but great similarities with Planet Terror, the producers them selves have cited Planet Terror as an inspiration.

I think Planet Terror shres the voilence with Overkill but that is about it.

The plot in PT is cliche, yet fleshed out and easily comprehensible where as overkill had fast jabbered narrations which were incomprehensible for example I have no idea why Washington punched G, how did the mutant outbreak take place, how did G & Washington got paired togethe, I can go on even the things the game intended to explain and had to read them up on wikipedia cause they were all so muffled.

Then we have the language, PlanetTerror has the swears but they are used effectively, the F-count is exponentially lower.

The missing reel segment, eliminated the generic elements of bad going to worse and just skipped to where the action would start where as Overkill skips over an important boss fight, only to have it take place outside the building.

Then their is the technique of killing of important characters in the movie El Furate (I think?) and everyone else made brave sacrafices to save the pack, on the other hand OverKill only had one justified death (The cripple brother) was killed to give purpose to Varla, but the elimination of Varla was probably the most anticlimatic scene in videogame history and rendered the entire journey a failure because the protagonists failed at the rescue mission.

Lastly both Grindhouse movies didn't have incest in any form.

So even when compared to recent Grindhouse flicks OverKill seems bad, maybe if Sega got the rights to Planet Terror, HeadFuck games could've used their GrindHouse skills on a grindhouse movie, not on a AAA lightgun shooter known for brutal force and bad voice acting (which is so bad it is epic).

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2010, 09:57:59 am »
thanks for proving my point: you don't get grindhouse.

When I said grindhouse, I was walking about the real film movement, you know, the one during 1960's and 70's American cinema? The one that is represented by hundreds of crazy off the wall violent filled shit. No new true grindhouse films are being made. What you're seeing and comparing Overkill to are big budget action/horror films with director's inspired by grindhouse. Nothing more.

You seem to think that grindhouse = the faux Terintino/Rodriguez interpretation of grindhouse. fuck those movies and all the comparisons you've made. Overkill's similarities go far beyond the plots of those two specific films.

Lastly both Grindhouse movies didn't have incest in any form.

Ah, but a ton of the true grindhouse movies do. Check any of the shocksploitation film and you'll have incest up to your ears.

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2010, 10:20:42 am »
Those movies were quite authentic according to all the reviews I've read, they were old school bad ass, with no CGI and real stunts and visual effects furthermore headstrong games have stated them as influences.

The previous Grindhouse movies didn't have missing reel segments intentionally or grainy greeny pictures intentionally these nostalgiac touches were introduced by the double bill and I really enjoyed Death Proof, and while my knowledge of Grindhouse was limited at the time so I didn't enjoy Planet Terror that much but in Retrospect it doesn't seem all that bad.

But I thank you for understanding these movies and games inspired by these movies aren't for everyone and those who are unaware of this genre may find it offensive :).

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2010, 10:27:22 am »
The woman with a gun for a leg was not CGI?

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2010, 10:31:47 am »
Right forgot about that completely. But you have to agree that comparatively they had little next to know CGI specifically Death Proof it had a whole dialogue dedicated to denouncing CGI.

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2010, 11:28:49 pm »
I saw Death Proof and Planet Terror as both being pretty different takes on the grindhouse genre.  
Planet Terror used a lot of modern film techniqes (cgi effects and post production image doctoring) in the plot and thematic style of an old zombie movie, to pull off things that could've never been done in those old movies.  All the while making it seem like it fit in with them.

Death Proof didn't have the cgi, and instead focused on elaborate stuntwork (as would have needed to be done back in the day), but was all done in a way that was very self aware of the genre.  Similar to what Scream was to 80's slasher movies.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2010, 07:44:05 am »
Death Proof was definitely the better of the two. Planet Terror, on the other hand, had heaps of CG. To say it had no CG is just silly talk.

What I'd love to see is a reboot of the HotD movies with a competent director and homages to classic zombie flicks like Day of the Dead. Imagine the Curien Mansion fully realized with zombies and agents and shit. That would rock the cinemas.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2010, 03:47:35 pm »
Quote from: "Barry the Nomad"
Death Proof was definitely the better of the two. Planet Terror, on the other hand, had heaps of CG. To say it had no CG is just silly talk.

What I'd love to see is a reboot of the HotD movies with a competent director and homages to classic zombie flicks like Day of the Dead. Imagine the Curien Mansion fully realized with zombies and agents and shit. That would rock the cinemas.
I agree, I always thought HotD had a servicable story for movies. Not great, but you could at least do some great scares and visuals with the Curien Mansion and the bosses etc.

Then I read the plot summary for Uwe Boll's movie and it was about sexy teens stumbling onto a haunted island or some shit.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2010, 03:59:05 pm »
Fun fact: The guy who played Billy the Blue Ranger in Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers played a generic zombie inside of a locker in House of the Dead 2.

I can pretend it is a different series because the forgot 'The' at the beginning of the title. You have no idea how much it bugs me when people do that, we even see it here on the site a lot! Arrrggghhhhh!