Author Topic: So EA might get sued for their NFL monopoly.  (Read 4993 times)

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
So EA might get sued for their NFL monopoly.
« on: December 26, 2010, 03:58:19 pm »
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6285811.html

I'm in for some serious EA beat down... I really hope they get sued sideways.

I'm still bitter over them refusing to do Dreamcast games and then when Segas 2K series became competition for their Madden series they did the underhanded thing and got the NFL license snuffing out the competition. Now selling the NFL games year on year at really high prices.

Sleazy wankers. Sue the shit out of them...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »
Made by SEGA

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
Re: So EA might get sued for their NFL monopoly.
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 04:47:34 pm »
I actually support their decision not to support the Dreamcast.

EA was screwed by Sega specifically Stolar!

Electronic Arts due to a solid past with Sega continued investing (by developing) on an inferior system (Saturn) and that pathetic excuse for SOA President didn't inform them in advance about his plans to push out a premature Dreamcast into the market... Sorry, went into a Stolar rant.

What EA did with the NFL License was unethical, sure. But it was Sega who screwed off Visual Concepts and sold them. The 2K Series (NHL, NFL, NBA) all still go strong and Simon Jeffery's biggest screw up was selling Visual Concepts and then replacing it with Secret Level.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 06:12:25 pm »
Sharky sure knows how to hold a grudge.

EA published Brutal Legend and Mass Effect 2, which were two of my favourite games of the past year, so I hope they prosper.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 06:51:41 pm »
I grudge for at least 2 decades...
Made by SEGA

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 09:57:01 pm »
Quote from: "cube_b3"
I actually support their decision not to support the Dreamcast.

EA was screwed by Sega specifically Stolar!

Electronic Arts due to a solid past with Sega continued investing (by developing) on an inferior system (Saturn) and that pathetic excuse for SOA President didn't inform them in advance about his plans to push out a premature Dreamcast into the market... Sorry, went into a Stolar rant.

What EA did with the NFL License was unethical, sure. But it was Sega who screwed off Visual Concepts and sold them. The 2K Series (NHL, NFL, NBA) all still go strong and Simon Jeffery's biggest screw up was selling Visual Concepts and then replacing it with Secret Level.
EA is getting screwed over by SEGA still, 2K sports is still kicking their ass in the hands of Take Two. If they just put their shitty football games on Dreamcast, they would have avoided all the ass kicking. They where so good this year, the NBA games that EA cancelled this years game...

That has never happen with them...

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 11:17:50 pm »
EA is losing millions of dollars yearly, but Take Two is losing hundreds of millions every year now.

I do not want EA to get severely hurt by this, them not supporting the Dreamcast was one of the least of SEGA's problems back then. The NFL license was a shitty thing to do, but I can understand the concept from a business perspective. I mean, what would SEGA do if the Sonic franchise was not a series of characters, but a random assortment of public domain concepts? They would have to find a way fast to secure their money any way possible.

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 08:28:50 am »
I don't really buy many sports games, but it'll be nice if the 2K NFL games get back on the market. Both brands are usually better when they've got some competition.

I think the NFL exclusivity deal was pretty lame. I don't hate EA though. Even though I'd never bought any of their games until the past couple of years, they've published a few that I've really enjoyed (Rock Band 3, Mirror's Edge, Brutal Legend, Burnout:Paradise, Orange Box).

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 02:21:23 pm »
You know, I think EA and Sega should be at peace now cause you have Pete running EA Sports.

Say what you want about Moore but he supports Sega (as well as Nintendo :/), so in effect having a former top level Sega executive in EA Sports should make them both friendly towards each other?

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 04:54:51 pm »
EA only lives of off good studios. It's not like EA is great because EA is great. I'm sorta with sharky on this. And also that guy peter moore is now with them as well so double reason they can screw themselves from my part.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 08:32:07 pm »
Quote from: "CrazyTails"
EA only lives of off good studios. It's not like EA is great because EA is great.

Can't that be said of any publisher though?

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 08:58:14 pm »
I think most yes. But there are also enough studios where the power really comes from the company itself. EA just lives mostly of off other studios. Most developers @ EA now have always been good even before they started letting their games get published by EA

EA feels more like an investors business club that bet their money on the talented people and they do a pretty good job so far.

It's like when Vanquish and Bayonetta's succeses get praised it's Platinum games that gets most of the credit, of course until platinum decides to stay with SEGA forever(which would be awesome). Games like shenmue, yakuza, jet set, skies of arcadia is where SEGA gets the praise.

Also with Nintendo of course with their franchises. Ubisoft has rayman, prince of persia, beyond good and evil and more of it's inhouse franchises as well.

I don't really have a lot of knowledge about EA as a company, but I know few games of where I think that it's >EA's< creation rather than a studio they picked to finance their games for. I actually know none so i'd be glad to be informed.