Author Topic: Behold, the Sega Pluto  (Read 8506 times)

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
Behold, the Sega Pluto
« on: April 18, 2013, 11:18:39 am »

Apparently, an unreleased Sega console was revealed, codenamed the Sega Pluto.

It is a redesigned Sega Saturn with the Netlink Adapter built in. Personally, I don't find the design striking or particularly appealing, but it's always interesting to see anything new regarding Sega consoles.

source: http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?45489-The-Real-Sega-Pluto

Offline mylifewithsega

• Total Meseta: -65531
  • "Just stick it in your Genesis!"
Re: Behold, the Sega Pluto
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 12:17:22 pm »
I think it looks pretty rad. It reminds me of the CDX for whatever reason. Still, I prefer my Model 2 Saturn.
Master-Cast TV: The Four-Mega Web Series!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC74cjduzFdR2ZXCt0bQv_0Q

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 12:26:27 pm »
It's sort of like the Dreamcast, with the modem bult-in. Very cool piece of history, though the console itself doesn't scream "must have". Now if it was a Saturn that played SEGA CD games, or a Dreamcast that played Saturn games....

Offline mylifewithsega

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 12:55:08 pm »
The Saturn's my favorite SEGA console, so - right now - it's screaming, "You must HAVE me! You must WANT me! You must TAKE me! NOW!"

*shaking uncontrollably*

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 01:14:09 pm »
The Saturn's my favorite SEGA console, so - right now - it's screaming, "You must HAVE me! You must WANT me! You must TAKE me! NOW!"

*shaking uncontrollably*

haha, The Saturn is also my current favourite. I prefer the first model japanese design though.  Of course, I'd step over my own mother to own a Pluto here (if it's legit).

Offline mylifewithsega

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 01:20:59 pm »
I have a Model 2 Japanese Saturn. Love that bitch. Definitely my pride and joy, along with Panzer Dragoon Saga. I've pimped mine out with a VCD card and a 4-in-1 Action Replay Plus. The box and instructions are in fantastic shape....

Love that machine.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 02:00:04 pm »
White Saturn is a thing of beauty. Probably my favorite looking SEGA console, followed by the Genesis/Mega Drive Model 1 and the Dreamcast (prefer Japanese model thanks to the triangle bit being glossy and clear)

Offline mylifewithsega

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 02:40:28 pm »
I think I actually prefer the Model 2 Genesis to a Model 1 as far as looks are concerned, for no other reason then it looks like a spaceship. LOL! Otherwise, I miss the headphone jack with volume control.

The power indicator on a Japanese Dreamcast is clear? I knew the swirl had a different color, but not that. Are there any other differences?

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 02:51:44 pm »
I think I actually prefer the Model 2 Genesis to a Model 1 as far as looks are concerned, for no other reason then it looks like a spaceship. LOL! Otherwise, I miss the headphone jack with volume control.

The power indicator on a Japanese Dreamcast is clear? I knew the swirl had a different color, but not that. Are there any other differences?

You know what? I actually blogged about it years ago! Here is the link:

http://the-nomad-junkyard.blogspot.com/2009/03/nnn-turning-japanese-part-1.html

Basically:
• Triangle bit is a different plastic
• Windows CE is "Designed For" rather than "Compatible With"
• different, thinner, AC cable
• JP has a metal cooling fan, US is plastic
• JP has less stickers on the bottom

You can see pics in my link

Offline Kevin-N

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 01:55:51 am »
As much that i love saturn, ( i have a model 2 ) the pluto model is UGLY !
SEGA fan 4 life !

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 07:43:00 am »
I wonder when the Pluto was created exactly? Had to have been at around when the Netlink adaptor was created, but I can't find a release date for that accessory. SEGA Retro simply lists 199x.

Gotta wonder if it was between the Model 1 and 2, or after the Model 2 (making it a proposed third model?). Also, was this created in North America or Japan? Looks like the first Pluto is owned by an American, got it at a yard sale, and the second is a SEGA employee seemingly living in Japan?

The design is totally boring, but I'd guess it is due to concept purposes. Though it does remind me of a Genesis Model 2 or 3, with the simplistic (almost boring) design.

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 09:03:46 am »
Seems the Planetary Council delisted the wrong Pluto, eh? ;)
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline TJKitsune

• Total Meseta: 13
  • That Crazy Fox
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 12:35:13 pm »
I'm going to say the Pluto was designed for the American market, as both prototypes seem to have the US Bios.  I believe the former Sega employee who has the #2 prototype said it doesn't play Jap games, and he couldn't test the system as he had no US games.  So it was likely sent to the Japanese office for final inspection before moving forward and was likely axed there.  My guess it was likely in the prototype phase maybe around late '96-early '97.  I believe Dreamcast...or then Black Belt/Katana..was in it's early phases late '97? 

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 01:29:51 pm »
That was probably the case. Would make sense for the US team to be thinking "golly gee, a saturn with netlink built in would be great!" and Japan shot it down because that is essentially the Dreamcast, and the Saturn was on the way out. Maybe the Dreamcast killed the Pluto?

Offline FourCartridge

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2013, 04:58:47 pm »
Just a wild guess, but maybe this was an early prototype for the Saturn as a console? Built in netlink would have been expensive and the Saturn already cost so much. I'd doubt it was for another iteration of it cause Stolar wanted that thing out ASAP, and you all know the rest.