Author Topic: Do you still like Sega? - Redux (Post E3 2013 Edition)  (Read 65451 times)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: Do you still like Sega? - Redux (Post E3 2013 Edition)
« Reply #90 on: June 24, 2013, 07:45:26 am »
What is up with you guys not playing Transformed yet? Get on it!

Offline loempiavreter

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #91 on: June 24, 2013, 07:51:30 am »
SEGA is lookin' really sparse now.

I'm not a bind SEGA fanboy, my taste happend to coincide with a lot of their titles.  Sonic, Phantasy Star, Skies of Arcadia, Shenmue are not the SEGA I adored when I was younger, it was around yes but I prefer the likes of Bullet, Desert Breaker, Last Survivor, Bare Knuckle, Shinobi, Golden Axe, Virtua Cop, The House of the Dead, Spikeout, Motor Raid, Dynamite Deka, Zombie Revenge, Gain Ground, E-Swat. F*ck even D.D. Crew was brill if you knew how to play it.

What similar games will they release in the future? Almost none at all...
I'm not talking recently as there have been some interesting stuff like Binary Domain which felt like an SEGA arcade game from the Virtuaa Cop 3 days and I really enjoye Griptonite's take on Shinobi (I have my eyes out for Volgarr the Viking, great Rastan type game from 2 devs who worked on Shinobi). Rise of Nightmares is great to, even if the kinect too 9speaking of ol' HOTD game desingers, anyone played the brilliant Elevator Action: Death Parade from an ol' HOTD designer?)

These days the only retail developers that seem to make games of interest are Patinum Games, Grasshopper Manufacture, Comcept, From Software and hopefully we'll hear something from Valhalla Game Studios.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 07:59:09 am by loempiavreter »

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #92 on: June 24, 2013, 08:01:22 am »
The SSR games are Sonic Team games in way, since the Eyetoy game was made by Sonic Team, who always aim at the western market. Like SEGA Superstars laid down the template, with family friendly Sonic Team characters and a few global hits such as HotD, Crazy Taxi and VF.

Anway I don't think the individual Sega teams themself don't care too much about other Sega character outside of their own teams. Like how Fighters Megamix only had Fighting Vipers and VF characters rather than also Last Bronx.

Or rather curios, rather than Yakuza having the obvious Shenmue reference, it has a JSR reference.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #93 on: June 24, 2013, 08:53:50 am »
What is up with you guys not playing Transformed yet? Get on it!
Transformed is mechanically one of the best games SEGA has published in recent years. It's such a well crafted game outside of the whole SEGA appeal it has. Safe for the minor bugs at launch, all that has been patched and everything is excellent now. I can give mademang that the first one wasn't "that" great, even if i liked it

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #94 on: June 24, 2013, 04:54:40 pm »
Your only counting the ones with character updates, i'm talking about the games inbetween, which had various costume changes, create a costumes,fighter balance and so on. And most that was trying to appeal to the more otaku crowd. Since 4 its been like that.
I was talking specifically about Virtua Fighter 5: R and Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown as having significant jumps in gameplay/content.

Are you talking about the various revisions (like VF5 Revision A, B etc)? From what I understand they are purely minor balancing changes and some costume updates. They are more like patches rather than full blown updates. I wouldn't say it's appealing to the Otaku crowd though, they are just balancing updates. Unless I'm thinking of something different to you?

As for Sega Racing Transformed, ehhhhh... I really have little desire to play it. I might give it a shot at some point, but it doesn't look much more than a Mario Kart clone still. I could be wrong, but I'm not really rushing out to get a copy.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #95 on: June 25, 2013, 04:27:17 am »
I was talking specifically about Virtua Fighter 5: R and Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown as having significant jumps in gameplay/content.

Are you talking about the various revisions (like VF5 Revision A, B etc)? From what I understand they are purely minor balancing changes and some costume updates. They are more like patches rather than full blown updates. I wouldn't say it's appealing to the Otaku crowd though, they are just balancing updates. Unless I'm thinking of something different to you?

As for Sega Racing Transformed, ehhhhh... I really have little desire to play it. I might give it a shot at some point, but it doesn't look much more than a Mario Kart clone still. I could be wrong, but I'm not really rushing out to get a copy.

The point is the character costume nonsense where you can dress up as a witch or whatever wasn't needed or wanted by many VF fans. Yes the balancing was something that always happened with the vf SERIES but the new costume gimmick wasn't, add the whole info download nonsense and it was just trying to appeal to a larger otaku base.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #96 on: June 25, 2013, 05:39:37 pm »
The point is the character costume nonsense where you can dress up as a witch or whatever wasn't needed or wanted by many VF fans. Yes the balancing was something that always happened with the vf SERIES but the new costume gimmick wasn't, add the whole info download nonsense and it was just trying to appeal to a larger otaku base.

Info download?

Offline max_cady

« Reply #97 on: June 25, 2013, 05:57:35 pm »
My loyalty towards the SEGA brand has greatly diminished after the Sonic exclusivity deal with Nintendo. To this day, I feel like SEGA's making a terrible choice because as E3 clearly demonstrated, nobody cares about the Wii U, nor the 3DS.

And truth be told, I do not like Sonic Lost World, there's not a single frame on that game that would make even want to touch it, let alone look at it.

Right now, even their lineup, to me is just bleak... There's Castle of Ilusion and that's about it. I'm not really all that much into what they have right now. Hopefully, they'll have some neat stuff for us when Comic-Con and Gamescom roll out.

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #98 on: June 25, 2013, 07:31:32 pm »
My loyalty towards the SEGA brand has greatly diminished after the Sonic exclusivity deal with Nintendo. To this day, I feel like SEGA's making a terrible choice because as E3 clearly demonstrated, nobody cares about the Wii U, nor the 3DS.

And truth be told, I do not like Sonic Lost World, there's not a single frame on that game that would make even want to touch it, let alone look at it.

Oh christ, go cry some more.  This should be no different than Colors coming out on the wii a few years ago.  You sound like a spoiled child.   

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #99 on: June 25, 2013, 09:26:15 pm »
Oh christ, go cry some more.  This should be no different than Colors coming out on the wii a few years ago.  You sound like a spoiled child.   

Come on Radrappy, there is no need to provoke Max like that. He is free to his opinion, if you don't like it, just don't reply if all you are going to do is flame him. It's fine to disagree, but don't go insulting him and calling him names just because you don't have the same opinion as him.

Thanks! : )

This isn't a warning, just a friendly reminder to be kind to others. Warnings come in the form of PM's.

Please do not reply to this message. Any posts replying to this message will be deleted. I don't want the topic to be derailed.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 09:33:14 pm by Will »

Offline max_cady

« Reply #100 on: June 26, 2013, 06:08:42 am »

Dude, don't take this the wrong way or anything. I understand that it's a business decision, but as I've stated before, I don't like it. Heck, you can even go all the way back to Sonic Adventure 2 being ported to the Gamecube. Except in that particular case, I already owned the Dreamcast version, so what little there is to go on.

I have nothing against Sonic Colors, it's a crying shame that it wasn't ported to other consoles. But that's about it.

To lock out potential buyers from others consoles is a bad choice. I can understand the Olympic games coming out only on the 3DS/Wii U, because obviously the Mario characters cannot appear on other consoles.

But to me, the sad part is that Sonic Lost World... And there's a reason I've been so quiet about that game: I don't like it. And not because it's just an exclusive.

I am more angry about the prospect of only being able to play Sonic games on Nintendo consoles in the next few years. It's unfair to other consumers.

You can say that I'm a bit platform biased, which is true. But consider this, I didn't care much about the Sonic Advance games on GBA, mostly because they were console specific. Same with the DS titles. Sonic & The Black Knight was Wii-especific.

There are only a handful of Multiplatform Sonic games and we are looking into not seeing them for a long time.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #101 on: June 26, 2013, 08:22:38 am »
But to me, the sad part is that Sonic Lost World... And there's a reason I've been so quiet about that game: I don't like it. And not because it's just an exclusive.

I am more angry about the prospect of only being able to play Sonic games on Nintendo consoles in the next few years. It's unfair to other consumers.

Max, you're not giving any arguments for why you dislike the game itself. If you "don't like it", and the reasons are "not because it's just an exclusive" then why do you continue to say you are "more angry about the prospect of only being able to play Sonic games on Nintendo consoles"? To me, that reads as you very much not liking the game because it is an exclusive.

As for "the next few years", SEGA and Nintendo agreed to a three title deal, two of those titles will be out this fiscal year. One of those two titles would have been an exclusive anyway (Mario & Sonic). So all we have is one more title to be revealed. For all we know, that third title could be like Mario & Sonic in that it will be a title that would be exclusive anyway. Or it could be a 3DS exclusive title.

Really, I think the deal makes sense. Let SEGA get accustomed to the Xbox One and PS4. Let those consoles release and build a user base. Then release the next Sonic title in late 2014. In the meantime, Sonic can exist on Wii U where the dev team doesn't need to worry about optimizing the game for three consoles or making the PS4 and Xbox One launch window.

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #102 on: June 26, 2013, 11:25:10 am »

I agree with this, but I'll state why: It's too mario. To be fair, my decision to get it will come after I try playing it but vids fail to grip me the way Colors and Generations did.

I'm sad they're changing the gameplay mechanics too. All of the things they said they changed about the gameplay for Lost Worlds were pretty much what made Sonic a sonic game to me and what I was used to.

I don't have high hopes for this one and my greatest fear is that it will spark a series of "Sonic in Mushroom Kingdom" games.

Although, so long as that doesn't happen, and Sega decides to bring over Yakuza HD and Phantasy Star Online2 to WiiU (I know, I know, slim chance to none), then the WiiU has a lock for my money.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 05:22:01 pm by Randroid »

Offline max_cady

« Reply #103 on: June 26, 2013, 01:14:10 pm »
@Barry

Damn, I should be a little more coherent... I know it's not fair to dismiss a game just like that, but the few gameplay videos that I've seen just don't pull me. The speed feels very off, the Sonic X-Treme vibe I get is not a good one. etc etc... There is no wow factor for me.

I will adress my incoherence and I have no qualms about it: SEGA gave me Sonic Generations, to which I am grateful for. Now, considering that the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 still have a solid year, it would have made sense to just make one extra game that had those platforms in mind, by making it exclusive fo the next couple of years, assuming the deal is not renewed, by the time next multiplatform title rolls out, the PS3 and X360 are all but gone. You see, when I heard about this, the Xbox One and the PS4 weren't even on my mind, I was thinking simply in terms of the current, nearly checked out generation.

I'm thinking of gettin' a PS4, mind you, but it's not a day one purchase.

The thing about Sonic Lost World and let's put aside the exclusivity issue, I'm not too crazy over the game.

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #104 on: June 26, 2013, 03:46:56 pm »
@Barry

Damn, I should be a little more coherent... I know it's not fair to dismiss a game just like that, but the few gameplay videos that I've seen just don't pull me. The speed feels very off, the Sonic X-Treme vibe I get is not a good one. etc etc... There is no wow factor for me.

I will adress my incoherence and I have no qualms about it: SEGA gave me Sonic Generations, to which I am grateful for. Now, considering that the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 still have a solid year, it would have made sense to just make one extra game that had those platforms in mind, by making it exclusive fo the next couple of years, assuming the deal is not renewed, by the time next multiplatform title rolls out, the PS3 and X360 are all but gone. You see, when I heard about this, the Xbox One and the PS4 weren't even on my mind, I was thinking simply in terms of the current, nearly checked out generation.

I'm thinking of gettin' a PS4, mind you, but it's not a day one purchase.

The thing about Sonic Lost World and let's put aside the exclusivity issue, I'm not too crazy over the game.

It sounds like a win/win for you, then.  Hate how the game looks?  Check.  Hate the console it's on?  Check.  Why not just ignore it completely?

A lot of people are disappointed that Sonic Generations ver. 2.0 isn't the game ST decided to make, but if you read the recent interviews with Takeshi Iizuka, it seems like the development team is finally taking active steps towards solving issues that have plagued the franchise since SA1(a game that is too fast is hard to control, gameplay > spectacle, inventing a system to preserve momentum, focusing more on the platforming side of things, etc).  Surely that's something worth rooting for?  The man hasn't ever made this much sense before.