Author Topic: Sparking a new Sega Channel discussion.  (Read 4557 times)

Offline VicGChad07

• Total Meseta: 1
Sparking a new Sega Channel discussion.
« on: June 13, 2015, 06:34:33 pm »
~NEWBIE INBOUND~
Yes, I'm a newbie to SEGAbits, but I'm no newbie to Sega stuff. Played since I was half a year old. First game was Sonic the Hedgehog; I have both the American/European REV00 and the later Japanese/Korean REV01 in physical form.

I just recently bought a Scientific Atlanta Sega Channel Receiver Cartridge + AC Adaptor for myself to eventually tinker with, and I thought I could spark a new discussion of it. Thoughts? Memories? Other crap to say of it? Maybe an effort to make some sort of undisclosed fan revival project?

Here's some Internet Archive stuff I found to get things rolling: http://web.archive.org/web/19961220034114/http://www.sega.com/central/channel/whoweare.html

--Victor Golf Charles

Offline VicGChad07

Re: Sparking a new Sega Channel discussion.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 05:53:08 pm »
Back again. Just got another Sega Channel Adapter (a Scientific Atlanta, Inc. version from 1995/06) with the standard fare in its original box -- Receiver Cartridge, In-Line Filter (that big block that must be fitted onto the Receiver Cartridge's Cable Input Terminal lest you want to violate an FCC Rule), AC Adaptor, Instruction Manual, and Registration Card. However, there's no Coupler or RF Coaxial Cables (which, based on what I've found after RTFM'ing, you're supposed to route the incoming cable transmission through the coupler and to both your Sega Channel Receiver Cartridge and your TV/VCR/Scientific Atlanta Digital Music Terminal; that way, you'd be able to easily switch from watching cable TV and playing Sega Channel).

After RTFM'ing some more, I found out how one would access the Password for Parents Screen (just in case anyone out there lost their manual): Press the Menu Button on the Receiver Cartridge while holding the A and Start Buttons on the Control Pad.

Eventually, I may put up select scans from my manual if the Terms of Service allows such activity; if they do, better safe than sorry -- 200dpi from my end instead of the 600dpi I work with when I'm translating Japanese manuals.

--Victor Golf Charles

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 08:25:20 pm »
Probably best to discuss this in the Classic Discussion part of the forum.

As for the Sega Channel, I never experienced it. From hearing about it in the subsequent years, it sounds like it was fantastic - a great value and a really unique application of technology.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 05:49:51 am »
The US is the only region thought to have had a purely automated service. From a central office, the channel was transmitted to the Galaxy 7 satellite, and then relayed back down to cable operators across the country. Following a series of failures starting in June 1998, the Galaxy 7 satellite spun out of geostationary orbit in November 2000, and is now drifting across space.
SEG4GES

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 07:49:11 am »
And just after crashing, as the aliens gather round it, it'll scream "SeeeeGaaaa".

Offline VicGChad07

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 09:12:44 am »
The US is the only region thought to have had a purely automated service. From a central office, the channel was transmitted to the Galaxy 7 satellite, and then relayed back down to cable operators across the country. Following a series of failures starting in June 1998, the Galaxy 7 satellite spun out of geostationary orbit in November 2000, and is now drifting across space.
It's a sad vision, a tin can drifting across space...

Offline VicGChad07

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 09:16:29 am »
Moved to Classic discussion. We can continue at http://segabits.com/forums/index.php?topic=3703.0 .

--Victor Golf Charles

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 10:37:59 am »
Ha! Looks like you did my moderating for me! Locked this and you've already posted a redirect so we good.