Author Topic: Mie Kumagai (Virtua Tennis) first original mobile game!  (Read 13576 times)

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
Re: Mie Kumagai (Virtua Tennis) first original mobile game!
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2015, 11:18:36 am »
I can't believe we're having this discussion honestly.  Why would you ever want to play a mobile game over House of the Dead, Marvel vs Capcom, virtual on, or DDR?  These games can still be found in arcades across the country. 

I'm also pretty surprised.

As you said though, the loudness and chaos of arcades IS the immersion. There is nothing like playing an arcade fighting game in a close match with some random, then suddenly hearing cheers behind you as you get the KO because while you were playing a crowd of people formed to watch. Same as watching two guys try and break a high score together, or just goofing with your friends playing a co-op game.

There's a reason Iron Galaxy's recent games like Darkstalkers Collection and 3SOE have virtual arcade machine modes.

Also most arcade games were skill based, meaning if you got better at the game you paid less. You can't get better at arbitrary waiting times or borked RNG lotteries that are used in mobile phone games. Also as everyone has said, controls make a huge difference. Touch Screen is inherently bad for gaming. As for graphics, arcades might not be the bleeding edge anymore, but they are better than a mobile phone game made for the lowest common denominator.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2015, 11:21:39 am »
Having visited several arcades recently, I can easily say that there is much to roll one's eyes at. While there are the occasional big name games that are what one would call "true arcade experiences", most arcades nowadays prefer redemption machines and giant touchscreen games that are arcade conversions of smartphone games. Honestly, I think we need to be rolling our eyes at arcades nowadays.

A giant Virual-On cabinet at a Dave & Busters is rare in 2015. You are more likely to find Cut the Rope and Fruit Ninja. Few big name arcades are bringing in older titles now.

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2015, 11:24:55 am »
Having visited several arcades recently, I can easily say that there is much to roll one's eyes at. While there are the occasional big name games that are what one would call "true arcade experiences", most arcades nowadays prefer redemption machines and giant touchscreen games that are arcade conversions of smartphone games. Honestly, I think we need to be rolling our eyes at arcades nowadays.

A giant Virual-On cabinet at a Dave & Busters is rare in 2015. You are more likely to find Cut the Rope and Fruit Ninja. Few big name arcades are bringing in older titles now.

The shittiest modern arcade games are ports of mobile games?  You don't say. 

Offline Trippled

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2015, 11:47:24 am »

This is one of their major titles at Sega right now. Card battler controlled from a touchscreen. Would you say that this is very different from a mobile games?

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2015, 01:08:13 pm »
Obviously we aren't talking about stuff like Cut the Rope and Card Battling games when we talk about our favorite arcade games.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2015, 01:56:38 pm »
Stop liking what I don't like - The thread.
Made by SEGA

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2015, 02:07:47 pm »
Ultimately I think the main similarity is just in the intended duration of playtime (short). If anyone can turn mobile games into something great, it just might be experienced arcade designers. Better to have actual game designers making games than the cynical psychological manipulators who have dominated mobile.

Offline Trippled

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2015, 02:35:19 pm »
Ultimately I think the main similarity is just in the intended duration of playtime (short). If anyone can turn mobile games into something great, it just might be experienced arcade designers. Better to have actual game designers making games than the cynical psychological manipulators who have dominated mobile.

Its kind of been Sega's philosophy actually - or really alot of the good japanese mobile games.

Direct quotes from Annual Report 2012

Furthermore, in light of social concerns, we halted all functions
associated with the social game Complete Gacha by May 31, 2012.
The game was one of the services that have driven rapid growth of
the market for content for SNS and smartphones in recent years.
Ending this game will affect the Group’s business results negligibly.
Going forward, demand is likely to focus on content quality and games
that are truly fun. If market trends return to a focus on quality, this will
give SEGA an excellent opportunity to bring to bear its traditional
strengths. Eager to seize and benefi t from this opportunity, we will
exploit our extensive capabilities as a comprehensive entertainment
company boasting a wide spectrum of outstanding intellectual properties
and advanced development capabilities.

On the other hand, a negative facet of the rapid market growth
since the beginning of this year is that content with strong gambling
elements has emerged as a social problem. Focusing excessively on
profi t-seeking risks betraying the trust of players and, as a result,
dampening market growth. Furthermore, it could damage the value of
intellectual properties. With this in mind, I want us to contribute to the
sustained development of the market based on maintaining a strong
awareness of CSR and making sure that we manage businesses soundly

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2015, 03:01:17 pm »
I've already explained multiple times why I don't like Mobile Phone games, I think they are very valid reasons.

Radrappy and I have also made several points about how arcade machines are different to most mobile games.

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2015, 03:03:53 pm »

I don't know where things got off track but I thought we were discussing why mobile games have a much poorer reputation than arcade games. 

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2015, 05:46:09 pm »
You guys know that House of the Dead, Crazy Taxi, Daytona USA all came out in the 90's right? Some of the best arcade games of all time and the golden age for arcades... Yeah, those are great games that came out over a decade ago... how that have anything to do with now? I'm confused.

Saying that you like arcade games and bringing up titles that came out 15 years ago is a bit weird, its almost like non of you guys really go to arcades *gasp*. I wonder why...

So thats my point, why would I want a great game designer make a mobile style game (which arcade games basically are now) when they can just make it on damn mobile (or console) for millions of more consumers?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 05:48:03 pm by George »

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2015, 06:28:49 pm »
You guys know that House of the Dead, Crazy Taxi, Daytona USA all came out in the 90's right? Some of the best arcade games of all time and the golden age for arcades... Yeah, those are great games that came out over a decade ago... how that have anything to do with now? I'm confused.

Saying that you like arcade games and bringing up titles that came out 15 years ago is a bit weird, its almost like non of you guys really go to arcades *gasp*. I wonder why...

So thats my point, why would I want a great game designer make a mobile style game (which arcade games basically are now) when they can just make it on damn mobile (or console) for millions of more consumers?

I think we all agree that mobile phone games are a more profitable venture than arcade machines.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2015, 06:38:35 pm »
Right, since you love arcades Mademan and are ignoring shit.

What is your favorite arcade game in the last 3 years?

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2015, 06:52:46 pm »
Right, since you love arcades Mademan and are ignoring shit.

What is your favorite arcade game in the last 3 years?

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown.

It came out on consoles within the last three years. What point are you trying to make anyway? I know arcade games aren't as popular as mobile games.