Author Topic: Phantasy Star Chronology  (Read 7669 times)

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
Phantasy Star Chronology
« on: December 23, 2015, 09:30:06 pm »
So, this is something that's bothered me for forever. As someone who doesn't play Phantasy Star in the slightest or have the desire to do so, I've always wondered how the series connects over the course of its lifetime.

Like, is Phantasy Star 1-4 just like a seperate continuity for the games Online and onward? Was there even a Phantasy Star on Saturn? I'm so curious but have no time for the games, can anyone give me full disclosure?

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
Re: Phantasy Star Chronology
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 09:52:29 pm »
(I'm totally going off the top of my head. Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong.)

The Master System and Genesis games Phantasy Star 1,2 and 4 are definitely connected and take place in the same star system. I can't vouch for 3 as I've never got into it, but I believe it is also connected. There is also a Game Gear game called Phantasy Star Gaiden which I believe is connected as well.

Phantasy Star Online series is a completely different story-line and setting(universe?), but has similar themes.
The DS series Phantasy Star Zero is connected to Phantasy Star Online (I believe) as is the vita game Phantasy Star Nova.

Phantasy Star Universe again is a completely different story-line from the others.
The PSP Series Phantasy Star Portable is connected to Phantasy Star Universe

Basically, the order would depend on what you're interested. If you want traditional 8bit/16bit RPG experience, I would do Phantasy Star 1, 2 and 4 (did anybody like 3 at all?). Especially Phantasy Star 4, which tries to cover all the themes and plot lines of the previous games before it, but with the most updated combat, sound and graphics. If you have to pick one from the all these, do 4 and you'll be good.

If you want an very sparse, loose storytelling but excellent atmosphere and online play. Go with the Phantasy Star Online series. Track down the PC version and see if you can find a community server to connect to. There was a popular one called schthack but I think it has closed down. Or jump into Phantasy Star Online 2 (via an English Patch).

People rag on the Universe series, but I enjoyed it. It was an MMO like the Online series, but they did add a more structured single player storyline. Track down an Xbox copy to play as I don't think the PC version will work anymore.

Phantasy Star is a classic series and each first version of the game was groundbreaking for its time. '

To answer you're question about the Sega Saturn. It only had compilations of the MS/Gen versions I believe. There are remakes of the first two that published on PS2. English versions of them are available on the net.

Hope this helps.

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 23
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 07:23:00 pm »
There is also a Game Gear game called Phantasy Star Gaiden which I believe is connected as well.

Yup, it's connected because in the near end of its story, there is an appearance of someone from the original Phantasy Star (Master System).
I won't spoil who it is, of course.

Phantasy Star 3 is kinda difficult since there are muptiple universes on it (depends on who you'll marry in each chapter end), but I believe one of the universe of it is connected.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 07:24:44 pm by Berto »

Offline MercenaryOne

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 11:42:09 am »
I believe I am the 1 odd man in the world and I enjoyed PS3 over PS1 and 2, as those I did not really like or care for. PS4 I really enjoyed, but I enjoyed the generation aspect of 3 the most.

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 11:57:21 am »
The only game I physically own is Phantasy Star 3 and other than the game's intro being a laugh riot and Metal Gear Rising Raiden being in it, I think it's pretty bad for my tastes. I think the music is the worst part, I usually really like Genesis music but PS3's is so...screechy. I can hardly get any enjoyment out of it beyond that intro. I have Phantasy Star 2 and 4 on a compilation but haven't even launched them.

Anyway, thanks for helping clear everything up for me, this has always been a major source of confusion I'm glad to put behind me. One final question as I can't find a clear answer on this either: do the home versions of Phantasy Star Online have any offline functionality, and if so, is there any point to it? I'm talking like the Dreamcast and Xbox versions specifically.

Offline Nei

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 07:47:05 pm »
^ Yes, you can totally play offline following the main plot and the hunter's guild has series of quests that are very useful to level up the first time you play. I was always amazed by how well PSO managed its story and lore without shoving it down your throat.

Another good offline feature of the GameCube and Xbox versions is local co-op with split screen, so much fun! I created a couple of PSO superfans back in those years, just by introducing them to the game with this play style...and now they're obsessed. oops!

p.s. your character is the same for online and offline (if you were wondering)
better in daydreaming

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 04:30:40 am »
Anyone here played Phantasy Star Zero and can share their opinion regarding the Single Player component? 
SEG4GES