Author Topic: The trouble with buying an older games console...  (Read 3709 times)

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
The trouble with buying an older games console...
« on: June 28, 2012, 05:53:24 pm »

I bought a brand new Game Boy Micro about 2 years ago and I look back today, thinkin' that I wasted 20 bucks for nothing. For a couple of reasons:
-I don't travel as much by train as I used to, so much less incentive to do it;
-My hands cramp up about an hour into any game;
-Before I bought a game, I checked a ton of Youtube videos and I feel like Nostalgia has played a nasty trick on me, because a lot of GBA games just look like ancient SNES games and don't really spark with me, plus that small LCD screen doesn't help;
-My Android phone right now has better looking games;
(pic unrelated, btw)

Yet, last week, I walk into a GAME store and I see a used PS2 for 15 bucks. I actually considered getting one. These past years, I've been either trying to get my hands on a Gamecube or a PS2, but could not get any of 'em.

I have two topics to discuss here:

-Have you guys ever felt like you bought a used console way after there's nothing there that's all that appealing?
-Is it still worth getting an older console such as the Gamecube or PS2?

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: The trouble with buying an older games console...
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 06:07:53 pm »
In regard to your second question: With the Wii U losing the backwards compatibility of GC games, I think a GC is worth it if a Wii U is replacing your Wii.

With PS3's being hit or miss with PS2 BC, I think a PS2 slim is totally worth it.

So yeah, in regards to those two consoles I think they're worth owning.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 06:22:05 pm »
Oh yeah. I'm with ya max!

I have the exact same story with a Micro.
Same thing with a DS, though I did have loads of fun with Mario Kart. SPEAKING OF WHICH, I got a N64 once. Not a single freaking game appealed to me. I got it in the illusion that I would get Mario Kart 64 and have fun, but NOPE.

Also, a PS2 is wasted money. If you want 128bit goodness, get an Xbox. JSRF, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Outrun 2 (the ps2 version sucks), PSO, Shenmue 2, Crazy Taxi 3, Halo (lol).. It's really really great.
The Gamecube is great too, but not if you get it out of impulse.

The best PS2 games are (1) available on the PSN, (2) have better sequels on the PS3 or (3) have better versions on the Xbox. So don't even bother.

(O custojusto tem Xboxs baratas se deres uma olhada)

If you really have some specific reason for getting a PS2, 15 euros is great price, and Game gives warranty.
But make yourself a favor and don't get one out of impulse. I know I did and regretted it.

SEG4GES

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 07:47:12 pm »
Yakuza 1 and 2 are only on PS2. Was totally worth buying one for me.

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Total Meseta: 24
  • Smotrenfu!
    • http://www.CliveBarkerCast.com
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 03:15:26 am »
I have 7 PS2 games, so if my PS3 ever dies, I will probably have a hard time getting one with BC.  I use the Wii for Game Cube games though.  It's a shame the Wii U will get rid of Game Cube BC.  I wouldn't get one unless there was some exclusive that I really wanted (and I don't buy anything but SEGA games). 

Offline max_cady

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 03:52:51 am »
@crackdude

Ironically, I did have an Xbox before jumping over to the 360. I bought one used on Xmas 2004. But it was one of those situations where I felt that I wasted a lot of money. I sold a few ago with 3 games included.

I was thinking of getting a PS2, for a couple of reasons:
-The massive library of JRPGs it features;
-Some of the exclusive SEGA titles such as Yakuza;

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 06:12:44 am »
I would say get a PS2 for God-Hand, but that's on the PS Network now I believe. Yakuza 1 and 2 are reason enough though.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 06:16:40 am »
Wow seriously? The time I had an Xbox was amazing. Personally, as a Sega fan, it had all these awesome Sega games.

Well if you want JRPGs the PS2 is indeed the best choice. Yakuza is worth it too. And you could get that Japanese Nights remake.

~~
btw: the newest Wii models on sale right now do not support GC games already.
SEG4GES

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 11:01:17 am »
The Gamecube has a pretty solid library, but I think a decent amount of best stuff will be released as downloadable stuff on the Wii U.

I'd say the PS2 is worth it though. The library's huge.
Tons of JRPGs, and a good selection of SEGA titles (Yakuza 1&2, Shinobi, Nightshade, Blood Will Tell, Sakura Wars 5, etc...)

Offline max_cady

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 11:22:00 am »
I've also read this article from Eurogamer.net, to which I am now fully convinced that it's worth shelling out a few smackers for a cheap 2nd hand PS2.