Author Topic: Last movie you saw.  (Read 307291 times)

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
Re: Last movie you saw.
« Reply #630 on: March 27, 2012, 06:36:15 pm »
I finally got time to watch the movie Drive. Man, its so fucking great. I hate how Hollywood tries to make the main character talk more than needed because they think we are retarded and will loose focus. The main character is more of a silent type, but when he does something he takes over the scene. Its weird, but pretty boy Ryan Gosling did a great job on the role.

If you have time, give the movie a shot.

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #631 on: March 28, 2012, 12:19:42 pm »
@George: Glad to hear you enjoyed Drive so much.
It was without a doubt, my favourite move of last year. There's no doubut in my mind that this movie is going to be THE film of 2011 that people are still talking about 10 years down the road. I saw it twice in the theater, and each time, the elevator scene left everyone with their jaws open.

I watched John Carter last night with my girlfriend and a couple of other friends.  I really have no idea why this movie hasn't been doing better business. The theories of interplanetary travel were really advanced considering the time that the story was written, and the design of everything is really impressive. It also has that unabashed sense of adventure and fun that you don't see in movies all that often anymore.
If this doesn't make as much money as the 3D re-release of Phantom Menace, I've lost a lot of faith in moviegoers.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #632 on: April 03, 2012, 12:47:35 pm »
I watched The Hunger Games with my girlfriend last night. I really didn't know anything going into it, other than the fact that Jennifer Lawrence uses a recurve bow to shoot things.  That said, I was caught of guard by quite a few things.  A lot of it seems like it would be more common place in something made in the '80s. You've got the costumes, odd facial hair, and typical '80s colour scheme. The biggest upside to this has got to be Stanley Tucci in a big blue wig :).
Jennifer Lawrence's performance really sells the whole thing as something much better than the Running Man with a much younger and prettier cast.

Overall, a really good time at the movies.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #633 on: April 15, 2012, 04:27:41 pm »
Caught The Three Stooges at a matinee show this morning ($6!) and was pleasantly surprised. I wasn't expecting much, but it turned out to be pretty good. First off, I'm a big fan of the originals. I watched them all the time on TBS back in the '90's. The film has plenty of fanservice. The movie is broken up into three shorts, each featuring classic-style title cards and they feature all the original theme songs.

When the Stooges are on screen, it's great. The mannerisms and voices are near perfect. That isn't to say they beat the real thing, but I'd take the Stooges in this movie to the later years of the real Stooges. Downsides would have to be some child actors, a period in the film in which the Stooges are separated (it's only ten minutes or so) and the first ten minutes in which the Stooges are played by kids. They do a decent job, but I wanted to see the adult actors. Also, theres some gross out humor, but it's far tamer than other Farrelly brothers flicks.

Favorite bits: Larry David as a nun, the bell tower repair scene, the whole hospital scene, this bit where this guy gets stuck in a street sweeper, the salmon farm, Jersey Shore cast getting smacked around (hate those fucks), this extended Stooge fight on a stage (very stripped down and felt very classic).

Overall, I'd give it a 7/10 as a fan of the old shorts. Compared to other similar comedies, like Dumb and Dumber, it's not as good. If you don't like or don't care about the Stooges, it would probably be a 5/10. Appreciation of the old routines really helps the film.

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #634 on: April 15, 2012, 11:25:38 pm »
Guys go see Cabin in the woods.  Not going to take home any oscars but the creators chose to do something adventurous with the genre and went FULL OUT with it.  A really great time at the movies is the result. 

Offline SOUP

« Reply #635 on: April 16, 2012, 04:12:32 pm »
I'm right there with Redrappy on Cabin in the Woods. Really smart writing from people who are obviously fans of the genre, but not nessecarily fans of what it's become.  Giving out any details would be a bit of a disservice to the movie. Just go see it.

If you enjoy horror movies/have a sense of humour, you'll have a great time.

Offline inthesky

• Total Meseta: 5
  • Altaha Abilia
« Reply #636 on: April 19, 2012, 09:47:40 am »
I tend to go through sorts of "bursts" of movie watching--sometimes I'll see two a week or so, and then just stop completely.

I haven't had a good track record though. I saw The Hunger Games recently with a friend and I was not a fan, I thought the beginning was painfully slow and the drama from the actors not completely believable. If I read correctly, the second movie will have a new director? And reportedly the second book of the trilogy is the best. Granted it doesn't guarantee anything as far as movie:book translation, but I could see myself giving this series another shot.

Some other movies that I did see beforehand were Project X (we saw it out of morbid curiosity, I hated it, but good thing we paid little for it) and Chronicle which I loved even though it was pretty predictable, the movie was highly engaging.

Oh, I forgot that my college campus screened Pay it Forward recently. It....was missing something I think. Perhaps the drama was laid on too thick? It's odd, I tend to really appreciate serious, dramatic, and inspirational movies (I LOVED 50-50) but kept daydreaming with this one.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 10:01:30 am by inthesky »
Proud recipient of the second ever Gary Player Award!
I support Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia HD ports!

Offline max_cady

« Reply #637 on: April 21, 2012, 06:05:06 am »
Well, I saw War Horse yesterday with my old man.

I can sum up the movie in one sentence: It feels like a TV mini-series.

It was an Oscar contender, I'm told. There was nothing there that was even remotely interesting. Steven Spielberg clearly on auto-pilot.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #638 on: April 21, 2012, 11:10:30 am »
I can sum up the movie in one sentence: It feels like a TV mini-series.

Now that you say that, it puts me in mind of an old Canadian show called The Littlest Hobo.

Offline CosmicCastaway

• Total Meseta: 1
  • Loving Life
« Reply #639 on: April 21, 2012, 08:14:11 pm »
I just saw Cabin in the Woods today and I would honestly have to say I really thought it had a lot of cool ideas and I was really engaged in it up until the last five minutes of the movie. The ending totally ruined the experience for me. I don't think I've been this upset after a movie for a long time.  :'(
Unlimited Continues:
http://unlimitedcontinues.wordpress.com/2012/08/18/favorite-five-video-game-ninjas/

For this edition of Unlimited Continues I share five of my favorite video game ninjas, three of which are SEGA characters!

Offline SOUP

« Reply #640 on: April 22, 2012, 01:24:57 pm »
Just watched Lockout last night.

Pretty much one big cliché, but that doesn't mean it's not fun :).

Offline max_cady

« Reply #641 on: April 23, 2012, 06:53:03 pm »

Saw Battleship this afternoon. It was quite an unexpected surprise. Don't want to spoil it for the US guys, let's just say it's one of those good clean Summer Movies.

It's has that same "USA military kick major butt" vibe that's fairly common with movies like Transformers and Battle: Los Angeles, minus the shaky cam from the latter and the annoying Michael Bay-isms from the former.

It's good enough for a distraction.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #642 on: April 23, 2012, 10:28:44 pm »
Conan. Nice CGI bros. Nice CGI  :o

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #643 on: April 25, 2012, 05:36:40 am »
Just saw the Avengers. In the interest of avoiding spoilers and not talking it up too much I'll keep it to two sentances:

I enjoyed it.
I shit my pants after the credits.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #644 on: April 25, 2012, 04:11:46 pm »
Saw The Avengers this afternoon.

No spoilers, I have mixed feelings about it, part of me felt underwhelmed, the other part of me made got angry when I saw the ending credits and went back to face reality.