Author Topic: SEGA hit by 73 people layoff, more focus on digital games  (Read 54611 times)

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
Re: SEGA hit by 73 people layoff, more focus on digital game
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2010, 08:12:21 am »
I wish they would have spoken more indetail about what this new digital group will actually do... I hope it includes porting games to XBLA and PSN but it might just be PlaySega and mobile phone focused for all we know.

What they really should do it make a couple games for Facebook... Would like to see a game a bit like Dragon Force or a little know game called 'Pocket Kingdom' that released for NGAGE which was an MMO version of Dragon Force.. I think something like that would go down very well on Facebook along side the fluff for girls like Farmville.

Or maybe they could do a Social Networking site like Facebook but market it to gamers... Where it might list your games, what your playing have a bunch of mini games etc.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »
Made by SEGA

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2010, 08:47:42 am »
Prior to this change, what had SoA brought us? They basically gave us crappy games from Secret Level and localized SoJ games, correct?

Offline Sharky

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2010, 09:28:50 am »
correct.
Made by SEGA

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2010, 09:48:41 am »
So I assume Sega Europe will now have the task of talking and making deals with potential developers both from this continent and abroad?

Offline fluffymoochicken

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2010, 09:51:11 am »
Quote from: "Sharky"
Would like to see a game a bit like Dragon Force or a little know game called 'Pocket Kingdom' that released for NGAGE which was an MMO version of Dragon Force..t I hink something like that would go down very well on Facebook along side the fluff for girls like Farmville.
No, swords and sorcery is way too nerdy for the Facebook set.

There might be an audience, but not the huge mass audience that the makers of those games are looking for.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2010, 10:18:53 am »
Quote from: "fluffymoochicken"
Quote from: "Sharky"
Would like to see a game a bit like Dragon Force or a little know game called 'Pocket Kingdom' that released for NGAGE which was an MMO version of Dragon Force..t I hink something like that would go down very well on Facebook along side the fluff for girls like Farmville.
No, swords and sorcery is way too nerdy for the Facebook set.

There might be an audience, but not the huge mass audience that the makers of those games are looking for.

There has to be an audience if games like World of Warcraft are so popular, even on Facebook. I do not think you realize just how big and varied the site is.

Anyways, making games for Facebook is an interesting idea I never thought of, but I really really cannot see SEGA giving them obscure games like Pocket Kingdom. If they were to do anything I think they would use or at least release similar products as to what they have on PlaySEGA.

I was assuming this meant more XBLA releases and the like, but the more the people mention it I am thinking this will just be more mobile and PlaySEGA related crap.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Quote from: "Barry the Nomad"
Arcade ports for the last 10 years should be a priority for Sega of America. Remember how many arcade games hit the Saturn and Dreamcast? It seems that so many games have been relegated to arcades. Don't get me wrong, I love arcades and prefer most arcade versions to console ports. However, most Sega arcade games are nowhere near where I live and/or died years ago.

SEGA is sitting on a literal treasure trove of arcade titles that never had home releases spanning across 30+ years. I think to pinpoint the last ten years would be ignorant in this case.

Two of my biggest wants on XBLA from them are Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death=Adder and the PlayStation 2 conversion of NiGHTS into Dreams. Could you imagine the awesome four player action we could have in RODA HD or the countless hours we would all spend trying to best eachothers high scores in NiGHTS HD??

Offline fluffymoochicken

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2010, 10:31:39 am »
I'm not sure that the WoW crowd are going to waste their time on Facebook games. They'll just keep playing WoW or find a different fully fledged fantasy MMO to play.

But who knows. The only audience for that sort of thing that I can think of would be gamers under the age of 18 whose parents won't buy them MMO subscriptions... and even then they'd be searching for something better.

Offline Sharky

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2010, 10:37:35 am »
Quote from: "fluffymoochicken"
I'm not sure that the WoW crowd are going to waste their time on Facebook games. They'll just keep playing WoW or find a different fully fledged fantasy MMO to play.

But who knows. The only audience for that sort of thing that I can think of would be gamers under the age of 18 whose parents won't buy them MMO subscriptions... and even then they'd be searching for something better.

There are millions of people that play rune scape... and there are a ton of better MMOs out there, better free ones too.

Not to mention Dragon Force games are very fun and add a bit of strategy too.
Made by SEGA

Offline TimmiT

• Sonic Retro
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2010, 10:45:44 am »
While people getting layed off always sucks, I am in favor of SEGA making more downloadable games.
Now port Chu Chu Rocket to XBLA/PSN.

Offline fluffymoochicken

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2010, 10:46:19 am »
There are millions of people that play rune scape... and there are a ton of better MMOs out there, better free ones too.

Not to mention Dragon Force games are very fun and add a bit of strategy too.
Well, if you wanna think positive, then be my guest. I'm going to remain skeptical of such an idea. =P

Offline Sharky

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2010, 10:51:24 am »
Quote from: "TimmiT"
While people getting layed off always sucks, I am in favor of SEGA making more downloadable games.
Someone listen to this man!
Made by SEGA

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2010, 12:50:42 pm »

One massive Huge problem . ChuChu Rocket is SOJ and Sonic Team Japan IP, and that means unless SOJ say its ok , SEGA American can ask all they want , because they'll not have a hope , and that goes for all SEGA Japan IP .

This is just some bullcr8p PR to try and cover the fact , that SEGA consumer lines are still losing money, and it needs to cut costs , almost all 3rd parties are  jumping on the digital bangwagon , they're not laying off staff  . I'm all for more classic ports , more classic downloads , collections , hell I been wanting that since the DC,  but that needs SEGA Japan support, the likes of Sonic Team to approve (not always easy) , and then the approval of the likes of MS and SONY .
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Sega Uranus

• Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2010, 12:52:56 pm »
Quote from: "Team Andromeda"

One massive Huge problem . ChuChu Rocket is SOJ and Sonic Team Japan IP, and that means unless SOJ say its ok , SEGA American can ask all they want , because they'll not have a hope , and that goes for all SEGA Japan IP .

If they can get it on PlaySEGA and the SUMO crossover games, I doubt it is much work to port the Dreamcast release up.

Offline Sega Stylista

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2010, 01:12:17 pm »
Have people here played  with the Model 2 emulator? I was running Daytona in 1200 resolution and it looks pretty good.  A port of Sega Racing Classic with online multiplayer would be on the top of my Sega digital release list.

[size=150]SEGA DIGITALISTA[/size][/color]

Giant corporations. . . The assassin\'s underworld has become a commodity. A chance for profit AND entertainment for the masses. But shadows from the wilder days still linger. . .

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2010, 01:13:27 pm »
Quote from: "Sega Uranus"
Quote from: "Team Andromeda"

If they can get it on PlaySEGA and the SUMO crossover games, I doubt it is much work to port the Dreamcast release up.

You'll be surprised with the Sonic Team , not that I knew Chu Chu Rocket was on PlaySega .
 So its all very well SOA setting up a new Divsions to handle downloads , Unless SEGA Japan and its Teams give concent and full accesses to the codes/games ,It's all a bit meaningless.

Because in my view , SEGA Japan back catalogue of Arcade and console classics is 2nd to none
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure