Author Topic: Game Room for the 360 - Pack 12 Released  (Read 28009 times)

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
Re: Game Room for the 360
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2010, 08:44:31 pm »
Quote from: "crackdude"
Quote from: "MadeManG74"

Did everyone complain this much when Sega charged 400 points for Mega Drive games with no extra features apart from Save States (standard in any emulator software)? Did everyone blame the 'Sega Vintage' interface for jacking up the price?
Of course not, cause those games DESERVE to cost 400 points. You're getting your money's worth.

I'm sorry if I think 3/4 bucks for freaking Yars' Revenge is too expensive, but I can order Atari Anthology for 10 bucks and have it plus 79 other games. That's 12.5cents/game!!

And NES games for 5 bucks is OK. That's a nice price for nice games. And not having the interface is good, cause I've said before I think the interface is crippling.

You're concept of 'Worth' is whether or not you like the game it seems, which isn't exactly fair. $5 for NES games is okay, but a little less for Atari/Arcade classics isn't?

You can buy Atari Anthology and get those games for cheaper, if you want to do that then do it. I can buy Sega Genesis Collection for $20 and get like, 50 games on it. Each one is only 40 Cents! AND SEGA IS CHARGING 400 POINTS?
Are you going to get angry at Sega for Jacking up the price because they put a nice new Sega Vintage Logo on there right? Obviously the only reason they are horribly over-charging us for those games is because they have that new Vintage logo at the front.

240 Points is about as cheap as you're going to get, if you don't like the games enough to spend $3 or whatever on them, then don't get them, but don't pretend they are horribly overpriced or anything. Don't forget there are probably fees and there is certainly wages to be paid for putting the games online, they need to charge something for it.

As another example, I can get GTA 1 and 2, Command and Conquer and Red Alert for free at their Developer's homepages, but I don't then complain that every single game older than those should also be free because of it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2010, 09:36:55 pm »
NES games for 5 dollars is ultimate rip off in my book.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2010, 09:43:43 pm »
It has nothing to do with me liking the game or not. I freaking love Yars' Revenge. If I had to pay 20 bucks to get it FOR THE ORIGINAL CONSOLE I would! (though I saw it for 1£ at UK's Cash Converters)

Thing is not about what they are worth for their original console or whatever. It's about the fact that these are games less complex, less graphical and less deep than the games that come for free in a mobile phone for example.
Some are great masterpieces (Yars' Revenge <3), yes. But by today's standards, paying 3 bucks for shooting some squares in the right corner and dodging a boomerang thing is too much. It isn't even the actual game, it's a ROM image. What you are paying for is the presentation.

Do not compare MegaDrive games to Atari 2600 games. Please, that's ridiculous.

Quote from: "George"
Now that I think about it, pricing them the same as MegaDrive games is indeed dumb.

So, MegaDrive games are priced for 5bucks.
NES games should be less.. Let's say 3 bucks (like the Game Room games)
So how about Atari 2600 games?
SEG4GES

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2010, 09:56:16 pm »
Quote from: "George"

I think it depends on what game you are talking about. For The Legend of Zelda or Super Mario Brothers 3 I think $5 is good, but for a game like Balloon Fight $5 is really pushing it, and I love that game. Even then I would never consider that an "Ultimate Ripoff", you would be lucky if you could find a lot of games on the platform used for $2 each. $3 more is not much more than that.

Quote from: "MadeManG74"

Did everyone complain this much when Sega charged 400 points for Mega Drive games with no extra features apart from Save States (standard in any emulator software)? Did everyone blame the 'Sega Vintage' interface for jacking up the price?
Of course not, cause those games DESERVE to cost 400 points. You're getting your money's worth.

I'm sorry if I think 3/4 bucks for freaking Yars' Revenge is too expensive, but I can order Atari Anthology for 10 bucks and have it plus 79 other games. That's 12.5cents/game!!

And NES games for 5 bucks is OK. That's a nice price for nice games. And not having the interface is good, cause I've said before I think the interface is crippling.

I am sorry, but I do not agree with this at all. I can understand there are compilations that include that game, but I would not consider it any kind of ripoff in comparison, especially considering Game Room has online features and leaderboards, etc.

Plus I love Yar's Revenge, I much rather play that than something like Altered Beast, or most NES games I can think of off the top of my head.

Thing is not about what they are worth for their original console or whatever. It's about the fact that these are games less complex, less graphical and less deep than the games that come for free in a mobile phone for example.
Some are great masterpieces (Yars' Revenge <3), yes. But by today's standards, paying 3 bucks for shooting some squares in the right corner and dodging a boomerang thing is too much. It isn't even the actual game, it's a ROM image. What you are paying for is the presentation.

Dude, are you really going to bitch that much about three dollars? Are you really that greedy that you do not want the people who developed any of these products to make any money ever again? I am probably the poorest and cheapest minded person here and I do not think it is any kind of ripoff for crying out loud.

At the end of the day this is all your choice if you want to buy these games if you want or not, you do not want to and have no plans to so why complain so much?

So, MegaDrive games are priced for 5bucks.
NES games should be less.. Let's say 3 bucks (like the Game Room games)
So how about Atari 2600 games?

Genesis games are eight dollars on the Virtual Console.

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2010, 10:05:40 pm »
The games also have added content, in the sense that you can issue customized challenges to your friends which they have to complete within a certain time frame.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2010, 10:08:59 pm »
I'm not going to argue anymore, I can't see it from Crackdude's/George's perspective and it seems they can't see it from mine.

I'll just agree to disagree and hope that some more cool games come to this service.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2010, 10:11:56 pm »
I'm not mindlessly complaining about 3 dollars lol

I'm looking at the big picture. The plan with the Game Room is not that you buy one or two games. It's that you buy loads of them and start your arcade room thing going on.
If I'm going to spend 3 bucks on each game, if I want to have a library of say 80 games (like the compilation) I'll spend 240 euros!!! Not to mention that in a quick ebay search you'll find anATARI 2600 SYSTEM PLUS 80 GAMES with bids going around 35 bucks right now.
If this bid reaches 240 bucks, I'll take back everything I've said. Otherwise, my stance stands.

And I do want to buy these games.
The reason I'm worried, personally, is because if these games ever come to the PSN, they will be priced the same.
I've thought about getting an Atari 2600 as I would love to have a huge collection of Atari games. But with all the hassle of setting up such old console I thought I'd just wait.
SEG4GES

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2010, 11:26:48 pm »
I'm not mindlessly complaining about 3 dollars lol

I'm looking at the big picture. The plan with the Game Room is not that you buy one or two games. It's that you buy loads of them and start your arcade room thing going on.
If I'm going to spend 3 bucks on each game, if I want to have a library of say 80 games (like the compilation) I'll spend 240 euros!!! Not to mention that in a quick ebay search you'll find anATARI 2600 SYSTEM PLUS 80 GAMES with bids going around 35 bucks right now.
If this bid reaches 240 bucks, I'll take back everything I've said. Otherwise, my stance stands.

And I do want to buy these games.
The reason I'm worried, personally, is because if these games ever come to the PSN, they will be priced the same.
I've thought about getting an Atari 2600 as I would love to have a huge collection of Atari games. But with all the hassle of setting up such old console I thought I'd just wait.

I still do not see your point. No one is forcing you to buy these games, or in massive quantities either. The big picture, as you put it is just you wanting a large collection of games.

Again, you do not need to buy these, you certainly do not need to buy 80 of them, this would all end up as your choice. If you want 80, thats cool, buy them! If you do not... Then just do not... I do not see what the issue is at all.

Now we should complain about something that is really worth complaining about, the fucking mascots you can purchase to add to your arcades. Stupid wastes of money they are, no one should buy them. Until they get some good SEGA characters in there at least!

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2010, 11:57:32 pm »
Mascots should be free gift with game purchase.

As for spending hundreds of dollars on dozens of titles, that's not really the point of Game Room. Yes, it's possible to blow a lot of money on owning all the games, but really you buy the games you love to play again and again and EARN tokens for free plays of the games you're "meh" on.

I've spent many hours in Game Room playing every game a few times (including and beyond the "free play" you get with each game) and have only spent a collective $9 on buying three games I play much more than the others. Yar's Revenge, for example, I do not own and yet I have played it a good dozen times via tokens earned.

Offline Orta

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2010, 04:30:24 am »

If they were properly emulated I would agree with you. But they are not. Yes, I use component cables with my Wii. If I'm paying for badly emulated games I guess I'm better off downloading an emulator and the ROM, even if that means breaking the law so I can amuse myself for a little while.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2010, 09:44:27 am »
Quote from: "Orta"

If they were properly emulated I would agree with you. But they are not. Yes, I use component cables with my Wii. If I'm paying for badly emulated games I guess I'm better off downloading an emulator and the ROM, even if that means breaking the law so I can amuse myself for a little while.
Can't comment on that.. I've never tried it out on the Wii.. :/

Well Sanus, that's the thing, if I just want a couple of them why would I want the whole interface?
It's all a scheme.
And now I'm dying for some Yars Revenge again.

Also, mascots? I didn't get to see those.. Do they do anything?
SEG4GES

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Total Meseta: 24
  • Smotrenfu!
    • http://www.CliveBarkerCast.com
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2010, 12:27:23 pm »
It is a scheme to get you to buy more games.  They have a room theme for each developer so you can buy all the games and fill up each room.  Still, I like the arcade feel, and I trust that if it's successful they will have some interface improvements.  We'll see.

The mascots fly around your virtual area.

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2010, 01:22:11 pm »
Quote from: "Orta"

I am not sure where you heard this from. All NES games on the Virtual Console are emulated extremely well. In fact, every console on the service outside of the Neo Geo are emulated perfectly.

Well Sanus, that's the thing, if I just want a couple of them why would I want the whole interface?
It's all a scheme.

I still do not agree. It all comes down to the players preferences. Of course more games always looks better than just a handful, that is true for every game platform. Especially when you can just set them all up next to eachother. What sounds better to you? Owning 10 Dreamcast games or owning 100 Dreamcast games?

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2010, 03:02:36 pm »
Why would they improve the interface if users keep on buying games? Shouldn't they fix it if no one uses it?

Offline Orta

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2010, 03:07:40 pm »
Quote from: "Sega Uranus"
I am not sure where you heard this from. All NES games on the Virtual Console are emulated extremely well. In fact, every console on the service outside of the Neo Geo are emulated perfectly.

My own experience. I might be off on some details, but if you are using component cables (outputting 480p) the VC game will not work. The ROM must support 480i (which is enabled with some by pressing some weird combination on the controller and not by default). If the game doesn't support 480i, you either get your composite cables from the shelf or don't play the game at all.

The games are stretched if your screen is set to widescreen in the system options. There is no way to have vertical black bars. The emulator doesn't add them, it's ridiculous. This means that if your widescreen TV doesn't allow you to change the aspect ratio, you're stuck with a stretched image. Why would I have to change the aspect ratio anyway? I've never seen this on classic games on XBLA or Game Room.

Also, being in Europe, I am rewarded with poor ports, with huge black bars, running at 50Hz. (Most of) The games are exactly the same as their American counterparts, why do I have to get the slower version? It's 2010 for crying out loud...

As I said, poor emulation. Nintendo: