Author Topic: Sonic Runners: A New iOS / Android game?  (Read 57699 times)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: Sonic Runners: A New iOS / Android game?
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2015, 09:24:29 am »
The teaser trailer went about it all wrong. Starting with 1991 and having the dates tick by, showing screens of Sonic 1, 2, 3, & Knuckles, and 4 Episode 1, and Episode 2 implies that this is the successor to the originals, which it is not. It also lumps Sonic 4 in with the classics, which given Sonic 4's reception, is a bad decision on the trailer makers part. Instead of thinking about Sonic Runners, all I'm thinking about is SEGA's mismanagement of Sonic 4, and how weird it is to see them actually grouping it with the classics. Especially when Sonic Generations really was much more connected to the classics given it was a fully produced Sonic Team game, and played much more like the originals.

And then there are the handheld games, which given Runners being mobile, doesn't runners have more in common with the likes of those? But after reading the Iizuka interview, Runners is sounding more like Jump and Dash, which isn't a bad thing because Jump especially is an enjoyable mobile game, but tying Runners in with the classics is just plain stupid.

Having said all that, I do think the game could be enjoyable, I just think the setup for the teaser was all wrong. As mentioned, Rayman Jungle Run is a really fun title, and from the sound of it this is not an endless runner, nor are stages randomly generated. It sounds like we'll have pre-made stages with 50 in total, which should appeal to speedrunners who are constantly moving forward anyway.

tl;dr the teaser goofed in linking it with the classics, Runners could be good, but making that connection has backfired in the past (see Project Needlemouse)

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2015, 09:38:49 am »
I just find it amusing they made a teaser trailer for a mobile game.

Guess it was a slow day for the video editing staff.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2015, 09:59:40 am »
Have you seen the promotion Clash of Clans has had? CG animated TV ads, bus and transit campaigns! It's crazy, given the game is free to play. Ads for free things.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2015, 10:02:50 am »
Have you seen the promotion Clash of Clans has had? CG animated TV ads, bus and transit campaigns! It's crazy, given the game is free to play. Ads for free things.

Free things that they use to hook 'whales' who'll drop hundreds of dollarydoos on it.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2015, 12:10:46 pm »
I kind of admire the optimism here that this game will be anything but trash.
Im being very mild because im not sure about the overall impications of this. It seems they're giving it a big introduction. Its made by sonicteam. Console sonic game composer tomoya ohtani is confirmed to be doing the music. The signs are worrying but im gonna wait till the next couple of months, whrre they usually anounce the "real" sonic game. And then we can go to fase 2, hope that it doesnt suck

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2015, 01:46:23 pm »
To be honest, I just look at mobile Sonic games same way I looked at Game Gear Sonic games. They're smaller in scope and budget, occasionally featured similar staff. I would take ASRT iOS, Dash, Jump, and Runners over Lost World and Boom 3DS. Far cheaper entry point, and I get more gameplay out of ASRT iOS and Jump than I have with the latest two Sonic 3DS games.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 01:50:10 pm by Barry the Nomad »

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2015, 02:00:23 pm »
I don't think people really hate mobile gaming as a platform. I just think it hasn't reached the point where full price games are making as much money as free-to-play games and there are a few reasons for this. First is traditional games usually require a controller and most fans want to play on a bigger screen.

The funny thing is most phones have the ability to hook up bluetooth controls and output 1080p with a HDMI adapter. I think mobile gaming will be legit in a few years when these bluetooth/HDMI out connections are built into Android and iOS and actually marketed.

Imagine being able to pick up a game like, Virtua Fighter 6 on mobile. At first your like "UGH FUCK U MOBIEL" but instead your paying 30 dollars to keep the game. Its the same as the console game, but its on something you already own, a phone. You connect your phone to your TV and play with your bluetooth controller. Play online matches, unlock stuff. Same as always. You get off the game and want to check rankings/other players. You can do that within the app on the phone on the go. Wow, watch replays and shit.

Now what if you don't know if you want to buy VF6? You never played one, you a Tekken casual. I think having a free to play option with unlockable items locked, x amount of online games and x amount of single player games and ads would be OK. This will mean you, the person that purchase the game, actually have more players to play against online, those that never played VF get a chance to get addicted and SEGA has like a billion plus potential buyers.

So, no, I don't hate mobile. I just hate how mobile is being done right now.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2015, 02:18:12 pm »
^I agree there is nothing inherently WRONG with games on a phone, just that the most popular are skinner boxes or shit.

I would be down for downloading games to my phone and playing them like a console. Only issue would be limited hardware options. Then again, PC is still a thing that can accommodate for those games.

You also seem to have a massive VF boner, this pleases me.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2015, 02:41:51 pm »
Oh yes, all I'm thinking about is VF lately. :( too fucking long between releases and not being pleased with SFV just makes me long for a real fighting game.

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2015, 03:18:11 pm »
To be honest, I just look at mobile Sonic games same way I looked at Game Gear Sonic games. They're smaller in scope and budget, occasionally featured similar staff. I would take ASRT iOS, Dash, Jump, and Runners over Lost World and Boom 3DS. Far cheaper entry point, and I get more gameplay out of ASRT iOS and Jump than I have with the latest two Sonic 3DS games.

I agree with you to a point, that being said tap based controls are where I bow out interest wise.  The game becomes less of a platformer and more of a mini-game at that point. 

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 23
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2015, 07:19:41 pm »
tl;dr the teaser goofed in linking it with the classics, Runners could be good, but making that connection has backfired in the past (see Project Needlemouse)

Well.. At least they didn't name this game as Sonic The Hedgehog 5.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2015, 06:47:04 am »
A friend of mine is downright addicted to AllStars racing. He also enjoys the mobile iOS version. When he goes out of town he takes an apple tv and plays the iOS version on the big screen over airplay. It has 360 graphics
SEG4GES

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2015, 08:51:14 am »
It also is one of the few versions of the game to have Ryo, the other is the PC release. I need to download ASRT on my new phone, I'll bet it runs like a dream.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2015, 09:53:27 am »

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2015, 11:01:44 am »
It. . . .it looks kinda fun.