Author Topic: SEGA Networks  (Read 46283 times)

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
Re: SEGA Networks
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2015, 03:26:19 pm »
I would say there's a strong negative bias on SEGA formed in America, were the market traditionally inclined to Nintendo. Likewise European markets are strongly attached to SEGA/Sony brands, this is why both corporations performed best in Europe even in their worst years.

There is also, of course, British bias that works in SEGA's favour. Sonic's popularity has dipped but his best review scores tend to be found from the English press (The best review scores for Sonic 4 and Generations I saw tended to be from British outlets.) likewise developers like The Creative Assembly got major press coverage from gaming magazines like EDGE to mainstream sites like of the BBC, the Guardian etc because they were a British developer.

My point is... There's positive and negative bias everywhere for SEGA, Sony, Nintendo etc but each circumstance is different.

Mobile gaming is an inherently different platform to consoles and PC, we are not going to see the same types of games that we would have seen on those platforms. For me, and most Sega fans that's not a good thing at all. I also, probably like many gamers, have little interest in phone games because it's rare for me to play them, let alone pay money for them.
I can see why this would be seen as a negative by most gamers.

Most gamers are negative about mobile in general. But this is the very same group that wanted casuals out of the industry and motion controls to die.

And that happened. And then the industry started to collapse.

I think mobile will get better along the way, I'm hoping stuff like Total War Kingdoms is successful for that reason, pay once and enjoy. What they could charge is cosmetic items, I'm not sure what without scaring of the fanbase, but it'd be a good way of getting further money from the base game without disrupting the gameplay.

I excluded Alien because it probably got very positive press for being a good game. Did articles about this game also include negative points about Sega? Genuine question, as I said, I rarely read any gaming articles these days so wouldn't know. Having said that, Alien is probably the only game released last year from Sega I had interest in buying (Bayonetta 2 being a Nintendo game in my opinion) so I can't say I disagree with Sega's output being 'mostly mediocre' these days, or at least not appealing to me.

Some did open up with SEGA and Colonial Marines but most ended up being extremely excited by the game. It makes sense in terms of the recent context.

What made no sense is saying how Sonic Racing 2 might be doomed because Sonic has been struggling recently (That would be true if it was for the original but Racing Transformed came out after 3 good games.)

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2015, 03:32:27 pm »
If you go look at the release list, still most games coming out are for console, pc and traditional handheld by quite a large margin... Whether they appeal to you is just opinion  and has no baring on quality. I would say a good half don't appeal to me at all like Football Manager and Project Diva but I'm not about to say they're mediocre games, they're high quality games just in genres I don't care about.
Made by SEGA

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2015, 04:08:31 pm »
Hmmm...I think the mobile games featured on Pocket Gamer are the weaker ones. Sonic CD is best enjoyed on a controller, and so is Sonic 2, despite it being mobile.

The ones made for mobile by Sega's Japn teams such as Kingdoms Conquest, Sonic Runners and Chain Chronicle are the best I find.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 04:14:17 pm by Trippled »

Offline Mariano

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Segarion
    • Funnoticias
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2015, 04:12:51 pm »
If you go look at the release list, still most games coming out are for console, pc and traditional handheld by quite a large margin... Whether they appeal to you is just opinion  and has no baring on quality. I would say a good half don't appeal to me at all like Football Manager and Project Diva but I'm not about to say they're mediocre games, they're high quality games just in genres I don't care about.

Agree...
but...
HOW can you not like Football manager!?...football is life man...

Offline Mariano

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Segarion
    • Funnoticias
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2015, 04:14:10 pm »
Hmmm...I think the mobile games featured on Pocket Gamer are the weaker ones.

The ones made for mobile by Sega's Japn teams such as Kingdoms Conquest, Sonic Runners and Chain Chronicle are the best I find.

They are good games and ports but i agree there are better ones.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 08:12:47 pm by Mariano »

Offline Trippled

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2015, 04:17:38 pm »
I would like Sega to try their horse and soccer management games from the japanese side, on the western app stores.

Like before, I don't like how they are segmenting the market. Just translate japanese stuff.

Offline Sharky

« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2015, 04:28:27 pm »
Agree...
but...
HOW can you not like Football manager!?...football is life man...

The simple answer is that I hate sport, of all kind.
Made by SEGA

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2015, 09:35:42 am »
Lots of PC, handheld and console games, but most of it will never see the light of day outside of Japan, including many of the titles which are just re-releases of their old arcade games (which I would admittedly love to see on PC instead of exclusive to 3DS).
Yakuza Zero has a snowball's chance in hell of getting released outside Japan, and a vast chunk of the rest looks like incomprehensible weeaboo stuff from Atlus.

I guess I'm just negative, or maybe it's just where we differ, but I'm not seeing a great deal of quality, or at least the stuff that is quality is mostly stuff that I won't have access to.
Even Attila which looks nice isn't going to get a purchase from me because of Rome 2's quality and the new penchant for nickel and diming everything in Total War games.

I'll admit that I do get down on Sega a lot, maybe I just like to play the curmudgeonly old man too much. I rarely get excited for any new games now though, so it's not just Sega.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2015, 09:38:04 am »
The simple answer is that I hate sport, of all kind.
Are you immune to happyness?

SEG4GES

Offline Sharky

« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2015, 11:54:43 am »
Lots of PC, handheld and console games, but most of it will never see the light of day outside of Japan, including many of the titles which are just re-releases of their old arcade games (which I would admittedly love to see on PC instead of exclusive to 3DS).
Yakuza Zero has a snowball's chance in hell of getting released outside Japan, and a vast chunk of the rest looks like incomprehensible weeaboo stuff from Atlus.

I guess I'm just negative, or maybe it's just where we differ, but I'm not seeing a great deal of quality, or at least the stuff that is quality is mostly stuff that I won't have access to.
Even Attila which looks nice isn't going to get a purchase from me because of Rome 2's quality and the new penchant for nickel and diming everything in Total War games.

I'll admit that I do get down on Sega a lot, maybe I just like to play the curmudgeonly old man too much. I rarely get excited for any new games now though, so it's not just Sega.

So long as we agree that it's you who has the problem. ;)
Made by SEGA

Offline Sharky

« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2015, 11:55:51 am »
Are you immune to happyness?

If happiness is watching men chase a ball up and down a field for hours on end then yes, absolutely!
Made by SEGA

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2015, 11:03:36 am »
I guess I'm just negative, or maybe it's just where we differ, but I'm not seeing a great deal of quality, or at least the stuff that is quality is mostly stuff that I won't have access to

No you're spot on imo. The SEGA I used to know and love is long dead . I've zero interest in Mobile gaming and while PC gaming is nice enough this is not the SEGA I used to know. The SEGA that used to make you want to go the Arcades and the SEGA that was all about console gaming .

It's so sad to see SEGA Japan all but become a mobile divsion and all but given up trying to compete on the consoles . 
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Trippled

« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2015, 11:10:09 am »

No you're spot on imo. The SEGA I used to know and love is long dead . I've zero interest in Mobile gaming and while PC gaming is nice enough this is not the SEGA I used to know. The SEGA that used to make you want to go the Arcades and the SEGA that was all about console gaming .

It's so sad to see SEGA Japan all but become a mobile divsion and all but given up trying to compete on the consoles . 

Well people in Japan go to arcade for Sega's online and card games.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2015, 11:34:25 am »
Well people in Japan go to arcade for Sega's online and card games.

Even in the Arcades SEGA isn't quite the corp it was . Gone are the days where I would hope and look forward to a Arcade ports from SEGA .  I miss the big event SEGA Arcade and consoles games, where SEGA games look and sounded so much better than anything else it demanded you played them.

Maybe a new Arcade board and VF 6 might spring SEGA Japan back into life a little

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Trippled

« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2015, 12:01:57 pm »
Even in the Arcades SEGA isn't quite the corp it was . Gone are the days where I would hope and look forward to a Arcade ports from SEGA .  I miss the big event SEGA Arcade and consoles games, where SEGA games look and sounded so much better than anything else it demanded you played them.

Maybe a new Arcade board and VF 6 might spring SEGA Japan back into life a little

I'll give you that, from the view of getting console ports, it's really gone quite backwards. Which is wierd considering nowadays everything is global and all arcades run on PC's.