Author Topic: Those pesky rumors: SEGA returning to the home hardware business  (Read 23064 times)

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
Re: Those pesky rumors: SEGA returning to the home hardware business
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2015, 02:17:42 pm »
Nobody has ever asked me for anything here.

Trademark? Sega Holdings,Ltd is a HOLDING brand which is a mothership parent holding all investors,assets,equity and cash flow for said labels and divisions . Which DO handle and execute M&A once they start public trading in the NIKKEI.

Sega Holdings is an immediate holding company which still is different from an overall holding company.

Trademarks?The WIPO is the Global Database for ALL international business trade. There's a reason why its called the Worldwide Intellectual Property Organization. Nothing about it is baseless at all. Which is why I've been discussing it. Its a database that determines how a Company/Corporation will conduct business in all jurisdictions where its operated in.

How is it baseless?

They are incredibly broad. It does not indicate home hardware at all.

Offline EnternalHope

• Total Meseta: 2
  • Sega fan for Life.
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2015, 03:08:20 pm »
Sega Holdings is an immediate holding company which still is different from an overall holding company.

They are incredibly broad. It does not indicate home hardware at all.

Sega Holdings,Ltd is the new holding umbrella of Sega Sammy Holdings,Inc. They aren't yet in the IB and aren't public trading yet.

You cannot have more than one holding brand. Only one is allowed public trading. Once SHD starts public trading, Sega Sammy will/must be removed from the NIKKEI and S&P. An immediate holding brand is known as a successor TRANSFEREE/NEW HOLDER. International Business   trade policy states that a Holding company cannot operate more than one thats not seperate. A different holder would have to be completely seperate and unrelated from the company. It cannot be a subsidiary or division. An immediate Holding brand means that it will take over all operations and ownership of said Holdings group once it begins public trading.

For example, Aesir Holdings is the investment group for defunct US Anime label ADV Films, Section 23 Holdings however is unrelated and the parent of Sentai Filmworks,Inc which is a completely different label and company from A.D. Vision.

Broad?No, they state and indicate plans to eventually start making home consumer products at some point in the future. Its pretty clear on the WIPO ROMARIAN document.

Offline Trippled

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2015, 03:17:00 pm »
http://segabits.com/forums/index.php?topic=3801.0

The WIPO thing you dug up is incredibly broad.

Regarding the immadiete holding company thing...make up what you want I guess. General dictionaries, say that it is holding company under a general umbrella. Two holding companies can exist. Sega had them before.

Offline EnternalHope

• Sega fan for Life.
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2015, 05:32:03 pm »
http://segabits.com/forums/index.php?topic=3801.0

The WIPO thing you dug up is incredibly broad.

Regarding the immadiete holding company thing...make up what you want I guess. General dictionaries, say that it is holding company under a general umbrella. Two holding companies can exist. Sega had them before.

I'm not making anything up. A Holding company is exactly what I said earlier.

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/h/holdingcompany.asp

"holding company is an organization that contains other companies called subsidiaries. The company must present consolidated financial statements to its investors and the Securities and Exchange Commission. Its managers and Board of Directors generally maintain control of the subsidiaries. In the United States, a holding company must hold greater than 80 percent of the shareholders' voting rights in order to receive any tax benefits."

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/holding%20company

http://beginnersinvest.about.com/od/beginnerscorner/a/understanding-a-holding-company.htm

Sega Holdings,Ltd is not, I repeat NOT a subsidiarity of Sega Sammy. It is the incoming successor Holding brand for Sega and Sammy as a whole:

http://www.sega-entertainment.jp/company_profile/group.html

Ltd stands for Limited Liability, that's because again, Sega Holdings is not yet in operation as a public trading group.

Broad? "Various Instruments,Parts & Fittings and design in the field of video games".

That's not broad at all. It's fairly specific.

Offline Trippled

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2015, 02:34:50 am »
http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/immediate-holding-company.html

"A company which maintains the controlling interest in a different company despite the fact the company itself is held by another entity. The company which holds control over both companies is considered to be the holding company."

"Various Instruments,Parts & Fittings and design in the field of video games".

Sounds broad to me.

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2015, 03:15:52 am »
Would Toshiba even want to jump into a market such as this even if they did buy part of SEGA?

If it was Amazon, Samsung or someone of equal reputation and resources, I could perhaps see it. Otherwise, I can't see it really.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2015, 10:30:15 am »
There is no reason to believe Toshiba wants to buy SEGA or has any interest in this market at all. Eternal Hope basically finds little scrapes of information that can be spun into what he wants to believe, fill in the gaps with assumptions and guess work and send it back out as facts.

You only need to look at SEGA's success on Steam/PC, and mobile to know they'll never bother going back to making their own hardware, why even risk it?
Made by SEGA

Offline Tad

« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2015, 10:57:42 am »
Exactly. There's no point.

Offline EnternalHope

• Sega fan for Life.
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2015, 12:22:58 pm »
Would Toshiba even want to jump into a market such as this even if they did buy part of SEGA?

If it was Amazon, Samsung or someone of equal reputation and resources, I could perhaps see it. Otherwise, I can't see it really.

Yes. Because they've tried several times before to purchase Sega Enterprises,Ltd from CSK Enterprises.

Toshiba Negotiated in 1997 to attempt to merge with Sega Enterprises,Ltd and again in 2000. This time in 2000, they attempted to purchase all shares,assets,earnings of Sega Enterprises,Ltd from CSK.

Today, Toshiba is a large ocean liner with tremendous equity and global capital split across multiple subsidiaries. They STILL have interest in SEGA particularly its Arcade and Electronics division. And since 2008. have been one of the primary investment shareholders(one of many firms who purchased a tiny percentage stock) of Sega Sammy.

The other company that also might have interest in SEGA is NBCUniversal.

Offline Spock

« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2015, 06:54:13 pm »
There is no reason to believe Toshiba wants to buy SEGA or has any interest in this market at all. Eternal Hope basically finds little scrapes of information that can be spun into what he wants to believe, fill in the gaps with assumptions and guess work and send it back out as facts.

You only need to look at SEGA's success on Steam/PC, and mobile to know they'll never bother going back to making their own hardware, why even risk it?

What does Toshiba have to do with SEGA? Maybe someone just said "hmm... let's see who I can rumor to buy SEGA this time. Oh! Toshiba hasn't been mentioned. I'll say Toshiba!" I know they both had success in the Japanese market, but come on. Do you really think Toshiba would take the risk of losing that much money? Why would Toshiba want to do that?

Also, they haven't made a SEGA steam console yet? Really? I thought they had. Guess they better start trying that.

Offline EnternalHope

• Sega fan for Life.
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2015, 04:04:40 pm »
What does Toshiba have to do with SEGA? Maybe someone just said "hmm... let's see who I can rumor to buy SEGA this time. Oh! Toshiba hasn't been mentioned. I'll say Toshiba!" I know they both had success in the Japanese market, but come on. Do you really think Toshiba would take the risk of losing that much money? Why would Toshiba want to do that?

Also, they haven't made a SEGA steam console yet? Really? I thought they had. Guess they better start trying that.

Toshiba has over $160 billion worth of equity and assets estimated near $190 billion.

They tried to buy Sega in 2000 when it was in red, but Okawa wasn't having it.

Why so cynical? SEGA is in black and very profitable. Why would Toshiba loose money if they purchased SEGA Holdings,Ltd?

Offline Tad

« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2015, 05:51:02 pm »
Okay, what gap is there in the market?

Offline MercenaryOne

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2015, 01:15:13 pm »
I for one would love to see Sega re-enter the home "console" business. I quote console, because it doesn't have to be specifically a console. Could be a Hololens, or VR type thing. If it was a console, it would need to compete with Sony, MS and Nintendo, and they just couldn't win. With their bad rep for crappy games just spammed at the console market, no one in their right mind would buy one. They seriously need to re-work their reputation. Once done, they would need to wait for one of the current 3 competitors to bail out, and then they would need to price the system cheaper than any of the remaining 2, yet be as powerful, so take a huge hit on profit for hardware. They would have to market the shit out of this for months prior to release, and we know Sega hasn't had a good marketing campaign since the Sega Scream. On top of that they would need to advertise guaranteed to be good games exclusive to their system, first party, third party doesn't matter. They will need to be 100% exclusive, and a must have for every regional market.

If that was to happen, I would buy. But it will never happen.

Offline EnternalHope

• Sega fan for Life.
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2015, 01:55:30 pm »
I for one would love to see Sega re-enter the home "console" business. I quote console, because it doesn't have to be specifically a console. Could be a Hololens, or VR type thing. If it was a console, it would need to compete with Sony, MS and Nintendo, and they just couldn't win. With their bad rep for crappy games just spammed at the console market, no one in their right mind would buy one. They seriously need to re-work their reputation. Once done, they would need to wait for one of the current 3 competitors to bail out, and then they would need to price the system cheaper than any of the remaining 2, yet be as powerful, so take a huge hit on profit for hardware. They would have to market the shit out of this for months prior to release, and we know Sega hasn't had a good marketing campaign since the Sega Scream. On top of that they would need to advertise guaranteed to be good games exclusive to their system, first party, third party doesn't matter. They will need to be 100% exclusive, and a must have for every regional market.

If that was to happen, I would buy. But it will never happen.

Your so sure it will never happen.Yet you can't prove that it won't.

On top of that, crappy games? A few outsourced mediocre titles that weren't even developed by them means they make crappy games?

"They haven't had a good marketing campaign since the Sega Scream" I stopped reading right there. You don't sound like a Sega fan at all. You sound like you've recycled opinions from unprofessional,biased, poorly written game sites. Your comment is full of sour grapes especially with the claim that SEGA won't sell a product cheaper then their competitions.

I am growing sick of this console generation. Never have I see so much soreheadedness in my entire 30 years of gaming.

Offline MercenaryOne

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2015, 03:50:22 pm »
@EternalHope
You also can't prove that it will.

You attack me with no knowledge of whom I am, yet you claim that I am not a Sega Fan. I am a Sega fan, I own and still play my Master System, Genesis, and Sega CD. I own the Game Gear, Saturn, and Dreamcast, all original since they released. All still working(except my game gear). I have purchased and read books solely on the fact that they mention Sega. Master System was my first console, I have defended Sega as being the better one throughout my childhood, and to this day I will still stick by Sega over Nintendo even if Sega is churning out crap.

Yes, nearly every sonic game has been nothing but quickly churned out crap. All of their good games are made by someone else and published by them with the exception of Valkyria. And even then, Creative Assembly is going south, look at the reviews of their latest Total War series, plagued with bugs, and spammed with overpriced DLC.

Also please PLEASE enlighten me on any marketing campaign that was successful and worth a damn since the Sega Scream. Sonic Boom: Fire and Ice with Carl's Jr./Hardees, when Sega delayed the release Carls Jr/Hardees deleted tweets on their Sonic Boom ad campaign, and pulled back anything promoting it, and removed it from their coolkids website, they had all of the toys for the promotion and gave them out with no other marketing attached to it, posters, commercials etc.

Your comment is full of sour grapes especially with the claim that SEGA won't sell a product cheaper then their competitions.

Forgive me if I am misinterpreting your quote, but I said "...they would need to price the system cheaper than any of the remaining 2, yet be as powerful, so take a huge hit on profit for hardware." Meaning I did not claim that Sega won't sell a product cheaper than their competitors, I claimed that they would need to do so.

So you need to step down from your all high and mighty better-than-thou pedestal and think before you write and attack/judge someone. Nowhere did I state what I said was fact, as the purpose of the original post it is an opinion, and should be taken as that.