Author Topic: Capcom is allowing "Hostile Takeover" Buyout  (Read 84390 times)

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
Re: Capcom is allowing "Hostile Takeover" Buyout
« Reply #105 on: July 18, 2014, 04:20:25 am »
What makes it worse is that the game is a rip off of PSO in the first place...just dumbed down..

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #106 on: July 18, 2014, 05:11:09 am »
The artstyle of Monster Hunter is terrible. But I don't think Universe/PSO2 is amazing. PSO was cool but I much prefer the anime style from the Master System/Genesis.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #107 on: July 18, 2014, 08:14:52 am »
Same here,george, same here. I acknowledge that PSO is groundbreaking but i much prefer to see the series back to its roots and not using the PSO visual style either.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #108 on: July 18, 2014, 08:48:32 am »
Those games you mentioned don't even sell as they use to and were hardly mid range titles at the time

They're all still million sellers

Keep harping on about Capcom's one trick pony which isn't enough to save them from takeover..lol

One trick ? I'll think you'll find Dragon Dogma, RE 6, Dead Rising 3, Phoneix Wright are all millions sellers and all sell better than SEGA 2 trick pony's that are Yakuza and Sonic.

You said where are the sequels to..and you list a bunch of DC games that didn't make enough money to warrant a sequel in the first place. Now you are backtracking

You tried to play the old IP card and lost out big time

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline ROJM

« Reply #109 on: July 18, 2014, 09:15:22 am »

You tried to play the old IP card and lost out big time

IP that had their day  but Capcom still look after the fans with new Street Fighter, RE , Marvel Vs Capcom, DMC, Sengoku , Monster Hunter to go along with new IP .

Where's SEGA Japan with sequels To Skies, Shenmue, JSR, REZ, Space Channel 5, Shinobi and tons more of classic SEGA IP . All we get now if endless sequels to Sonic and Yakuza

Listing a bunch of IPs that NEVER made any money makes your argument redundant. You lost out because you couldn't even list the games that were successful to begin with in a tactic that backfired on you. I however did name the games that were successful AND named the sequels that Sega has made for them in the last five years. You've really lost it man....i pity you...
You don't know when you've lost the argument.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #110 on: July 18, 2014, 10:42:12 am »
Oh man, the formatting in this thread is outrageous. Going from super tiny fonts to regular, massive empty quote boxes and half a page of nothing after post's text is finished.

Also George: I never played Monster Hunter, but some friends are addicted to it. Is it meant to be like Dark Souls in a kind of way? Like it's all about exploration and finding new objects to make better items/weapons etc?

Offline ROJM

« Reply #111 on: July 18, 2014, 11:24:11 am »
Oh man, the formatting in this thread is outrageous. Going from super tiny fonts to regular, massive empty quote boxes and half a page of nothing after post's text is finished.

That's TA for you...clearly losing his mind...

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #112 on: July 18, 2014, 12:22:59 pm »
Hey Mindcraft sells 13 million on the 360 too . And yes great sales but compared to console sales of COD or GTA V they're not even close .

Way to completely overlook my point. I said you use the big two in the console market to inflate the console market when the fact is there are no other games like those two. And if we want to go down this route, DoTA and League of Legends are way above CoD or GTAV. But I'm not going to use those two as out liners because they aren't (Just like CoD and GTAV are not for consoles) the fact is, PC sales are not bad, they're very good and you can't really show me prove otherwise.

Good I wouldn't . PSO II online sales are dwarfed by Monster Hunter IV sales alone and well Final Fantasy XIV has been outsold by Dark Souls II on the console hasn't it, never mind console sales of Square own Tomb Raider .

I'm not sure if you're trying to act ignorant on purpose or not. These are Massive Multiplayer ONLINE RPGs. You're not going to find the majority of sales via retail units but online sales. PSO2 online sales are not being compared to Monster Hunter IV but other Phantasy Star titles and they alone are better than the series ever has been.

Final Fantasy XIV has over 1.8 million daily users, that's more successful than Dark Souls II. And that brings me to the latter, you do realise over 500,000 sales of Dark Souls II are PC users, right? So again it weakens your point about consoles being the be all, end all of gaming.

No they were loads that went bust in 32 Bit gen alone, never mind the jump to 128 bit.

Well point them out? Here I'll give you a list from 2006 - 2012, so this excludes the likes of THQ, Flight-Plan and Irrational games, etc

3D Realms - 2009
 7 Studios (Activision) - 2011
 Backbone Vancouver
 BigBig (Sony) - 2012
 Bizarre Creations (Activision) - 2010/2011
 Black Rock (Disney) - 2011
 Blue Fang Games - 2011
 Blue Tongue (THQ) - 2011
 BottleRocket - 2009
 Brash Entertainment - 2008
 Budcat (Activision) - 2010
 Castaway Entertainment - 2008
 Cheyenne Mountain - 2010
 Cing - 2010
 Clover Studios (Capcom) - 2006
 Codemasters Guildford - 2011
 Cohort Studios - 2011
 Concrete Games - 2008
 Deep Silver Vienna - 2010
 DICE Canada - 2006
 EA Chicago - 2007
 EA Bright Light - 2011/2012
 EA Japan - 2007
 Eidos Manchester - 2009
 Eidos Hungary - 2010
 Ensemble Studios (Microsoft) - 2008
 Factor 5 - 2009
 FASA (Microsoft) - 2007
 Fizz Factor - 2009
 Flagship Studios - 2008
 Flight Plan - 2010
 Frozen North Productions
 FuzzyEyes - 2009
 Gamelab - 2009
 Game Republic - 2011
 GRIN - 2009
 Helixe (THQ) - 2008
 Hudson Entertainment - 2011
 Humannature Studio (Nexon Vancouver) - 2009
 Ignition London - 2010
 Ignition Florida - 2010
 Incognito Entertainment (Sony) - 2009
 Indie Built (Take-Two) - 2006
 Iron Lore - 2008
 Juice Games (THQ) - 2011
 Kaos Studios (THQ) - 2011
 Killaware - 2011
 Killspace Entertainment - 2011
 KMM Brisbane - 2011
 Krome Studios (might still be operating on skeleton crew) - 2010
 Kuju Manila - 2009
 Kuju Chemistry - 2009
 Kush Games - 2008
 Locomotive Games (THQ) - 2010
 Luxoflux - 2010
 Mass Media (THQ) - 2008
 Monte Cristo - 2010
 Monumental Games - 2012
 Midway Austin - 2009
 Midway Newcastle - 2009
 MTV Games - 2011
 Multiverse - 2012
 NetDevil - 2011
 Ninja Studio - 2009
 Outerlight - 2010
 PAM Development (Take-Two) - 2008
 Pandemic Australia (EA) - 2009
 Pandemic LA (EA) - 2009
 Paradigm Entertainment - 2008
 Pi Studios - 2011
 Pivotal Games (Take-Two) - 2008
 Propaganda Games (Disney) - 2011
 Pseudo Interactive - 2008
 Rainbow Studios (THQ) - 2011
 Realtime Worlds - 2010
 Rebellion Derby - 2010
 Red Octane - 2010
 Rockstar Vienna - 2006
 Sandblast Games (THQ) - 2008
 SEGA San Francisco - 2010
 Shaba Games (Activision) - 2009
 SOE Denver - 2011
 SOE Seattle - 2011
 SOE Tuscon - 2011
 Stormfront Studios - 2008
 Straylight Studios - 2009
 Team Bondi - 2011
 The Code Monkeys - 2011
 Titan Studios - 2009
 THQ Studio Australia - 2009
 THQ Digital Warrington - 2009
 Transmission Games - 2009
 Universomo (THQ) - 2009
 Venom Games (Take Two) - 2008
 Vicarious Visions California - 2007
 Visceral Australia (EA) - 2011
 Wolfpack Studios - 2006
 Yuke's Company Of America - 2010
 Zoe Mode London - 2009

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:j-70lgBMyroJ:kotaku.com/5876693/every-game-studio-thats-closed-down-since-2006+&cd=9&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&client=firefox-a

Now show me your proof.

So why are the PS3 , 360 PS4 and XBox 1 selling so well then ? .

"The point is your idea that console gaming is the holy grail of gaming is outdated and out of touch with the very reality around you. "

The response does not relate to the point made.

And for your information the current generation of console is facing severe market contraction. Playstation 4 is the only leading light at the moment and even that is beginning to drop down.

A handful of games at the end of the day . I mean Mario Kart on the Wii sells far more than any of those games , but that doesn't show the real picture for the Wii and how the 360 and PS3 were the better for retail . Face facts all the top PC developers that are left now need to make console games too , and retail be that on the streets or on-line gives for more space to the console games than PC.

Again, bullshit as usual. Sure me proof with actual links, otherwise you're dead wrong as usual in painting the PC as a lifeless or non-important market.

And don't make me laugh, majority of online sales are from PC, you want to know why there's more retail space for consoles than PC? Because 70% of the PC market buy their goods from online. Now you might as well argue about the amount of space GAME and the like give tablets and other non-traditional gaming items, or are you going to bury that facet just like all the other's that might paint console gaming in anything but a negative light?

Face the facts, all major third party console developers who make console games also have to make their titles accessible for PC users. The strength of the PC market is undeniable.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 01:24:27 pm by Aki-at »

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #113 on: July 19, 2014, 06:04:51 am »
Now show me your proof.

Well looking over your list includes studios that have either merged or been taken over . I list you some of the  corps that gone bust in the good old days ...

Technosoft
NCS
Data East
Clockwork Tortoise
Scavenger
Compile
Raizing
Sensible Software

That's overlooking the countless developers that went bust after the 8 bit crash or the Spectrum and C64 developers that couldn't handle the transition to 16 bit . It happens always have and always will

You're not going to find the majority of sales via retail units but online sales.

That's a cop out . Its not like Monster Hunter isn't available digitally. 4 million sales at full retail price brings in more money at the end of the day . Monster Hunter is just a far bigger IP than PSO .

Final Fantasy XIV has over 1.8 million daily users, that's more successful than Dark Souls II

I like the spin . FF XIV does not haver 1.8 daily users - That's the total number of people that made an account .

Way to completely overlook my point. I said you use the big two in the console market to inflate the console market when the fact is there are no other games like those two

No it shows the game sells millions on the 360 alone and I don't need to use just GTA or COD.

Gears Of War, God War, Drakes, Assassin's Creed , Red Dead Redemption, GT , Fifa, Madden, Halo, Bioshock, Resident evil, MGS, Tomb Raider , Mass Effect , Far Cry Last of Us, Killzone, Watchdog  Ect are all multi million sellers on consoles   

Playstation 4 is the only leading light at the moment and even that is beginning to drop down.

The XBox 1 and PS4 are selling better than what the 360, PS, Mega Drive, Snes, PS2, DC, Sega Saturn did in their 1st year - Fact .

Again, bullshit as usual. Sure me proof with actual links, otherwise you're dead wrong as usual in painting the PC as a lifeless or non-important market

What that Mario Kart Wii sold more than 15 million copies . I think you find that fact and NCL posted that .

Because 70% of the PC market buy their goods from online

You talk like you can't download games on the XBox One , PS 4  360 or PS3 .

Face the facts, all major third party console developers who make console games also have to make their titles accessible for PC users

The facts are that their console versions sell better and having PC versions is nothing new at all is in it: SEGA Japan used to have a great PC division once that handle most of their Saturn and DC ports for starters

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #114 on: July 19, 2014, 11:44:39 am »
Well looking over your list includes studios that have either merged or been taken over . I list you some of the  corps that gone bust in the good old days ...

Technosoft
NCS
Data East
Clockwork Tortoise
Scavenger
Compile
Raizing
Sensible Software

A grand total of 8 developers, so in the end, you've lost this point. My list might include some that were merged but the majority were closed down and as I pointed out, I didn't even include Japanese developers in the list.

That's overlooking the countless developers that went bust after the 8 bit crash or the Spectrum and C64 developers that couldn't handle the transition to 16 bit . It happens always have and always will.

You seem to be a head in the sand type of person. Using the tired excuse "It always happened..." when the situations are completely different makes no sense. Come back with a proper response or yield because so far you haven't really countered any points.

That's a cop out . Its not like Monster Hunter isn't available digitally. 4 million sales at full retail price brings in more money at the end of the day .

No it isn't a cop out. You're acting like retail sales are the be all end all of gaming and that is just not the case anymore. Rome II sold 30,000 units at retail in the UK on it's debut week but a further 70,000 units online. Then you look at how games like FFXIV and PSO2 make their money and it's through online transactions. Stop acting ignorant to how game companies do business.

Monster Hunter is just a far bigger IP than PSO .

... Okay? Where have I argued otherwise? My point was that PSO2 is bigger than any Phantasy Star title before it, all on consoles and all dwarfed by the success of PSO2. I'm not sure why you're imagining these extra arguments from but I never ever stated it. Stick to the point about PC gaming or don't bother sprouting anything.

I like the spin . FF XIV does not haver 1.8 daily users - That's the total number of people that made an account .

It's more successful than Dark Souls II, that is a fact. 325,000 daily users is nothing to shy away from.

And it's over 2 million users now.

No it shows the game sells millions on the 360 alone and I don't need to use just GTA or COD.

And the biggest games in the industry at the moment, outside of mobile titles, are League of Legends and DoTA2 but you won't seem me claiming that's an indication of the health of the PC market.

Gears Of War, God War, Drakes, Assassin's Creed , Red Dead Redemption, GT , Fifa, Madden, Halo, Bioshock, Resident evil, MGS, Tomb Raider , Mass Effect , Far Cry Last of Us, Killzone, Watchdog  Ect are all multi million sellers on consoles

Diablo 3 (12 million+) The Sims 3 (10 million+) Company of Heroes (4 million+) Total War series (3 million+) The Witcher series (2 million+) Sim City (2 million+) Guild Wars 3 (3.5 million+) Starcraft 2 (6 million+) Crysis (3 million+) DayZ (2 million+) Battlefield 2 (10 million+) STALKER (2 million+) are all multimillion sellers too.

And a fair few of those games you listed a probably million sellers on the PC too. So again, don't act like consoles are the be all end all of gaming. It no longer is.

The XBox 1 and PS4 are selling better than what the 360, PS, Mega Drive, Snes, PS2, DC, Sega Saturn did in their 1st year - Fact .

Said just like a Microsoft PR rep.

And this is why numbers are context. How much are they selling now, because sales have slowed down and the Xbox 360 has been outselling the Xbox One month on month for a while now. The Playstation 4 is now down month on month against the Playstation 2.

Now you'll try and hand wave it away but it's clear the reason for both the Playstation 4 and Xbox One selling such a large number isn't because of the hype of the new machines but because we just came off the back of the longest single generation in modern video game history. As of now, the Xbox One being under 200k units sold in it's first June and the PS4 being at 260k (Compared to the PS2's 280k and the Wii's 400k+) means that the signs of market contraction are showing.

What that Mario Kart Wii sold more than 15 million copies . I think you find that fact and NCL posted that .

The point wasn't the sale figure was incorrect. The point was trying to equate the PC market to the Wii market is insane.

You talk like you can't download games on the XBox One , PS 4  360 or PS3 .

It's well established that a large segment of PC gamers prefer downloading their games vs retail collection. Console gamers are not there yet and estimation puts adoption rates for console users to the low 10% mark.

The facts are that their console versions sell better and having PC versions is nothing new at all is in it: SEGA Japan used to have a great PC division once that handle most of their Saturn and DC ports for starters

The PC was almost always overlooked, now every major game has to be released on PC and almost always the best version is found on the PC. Console specific publishers making more of their games accessible for PC is a sure sign the market has shifted and it's not closed to console users only.

Your point "PC devs have to make games for console... FACT!" but as soon as I turn the table around your response is a simple "... Well the console version still sells the best!" utter double standards from you there.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #115 on: July 19, 2014, 02:28:53 pm »
A grand total of 8 developers, so in the end, you've lost this point.

You want more ?

Digital Pictures
Dephine
Mucky Foot
Argonaut
Bluesky Software
Boss Studio's
Lobotomy
MNS
Cryo
Big Ape
Rocket Science
Exyx

There's loads more too

when the situations are completely different makes no sense

It always happens and always will . Hardly any of the big Spectrum and C64 developers are still around . They'll always games corps that will expand too much too soon and can't pay the bills .

You're acting like retail sales are the be all end all of gaming and that is just not the case anymore. Rome II sold 30,000 units at retail in the UK on it's debut week but a further 70,000 units online

Monster Hunter IV brought in more money and you act like users can't download games digitally on the consoles . When most corps post their results the console versions do better than their PC games for sales [size=78%]. [/size]
[/size]
My point was that PSO2 is bigger than any Phantasy Star title before it, all on consoles and all dwarfed by the success of PSO2

That doesn't mean the console is in decline . And has PSO II even sold a million copies yet ?

325,000 daily users is nothing to shy away from

No its not, big difference to 1.8 million users though

And the biggest games in the industry at the moment

Well they were still new IP and risks and it also shows that the sales are there if you make a game people want .

Diablo 3 (12 million+) The Sims 3 (10 million+) Company of Heroes (4 million+) Total War series (3 million+) The Witcher series (2 million+) Sim City (2 million+) Guild Wars 3 (3.5 million+) Starcraft 2 (6 million+) Crysis (3 million+) DayZ (2 million+) Battlefield 2 (10 million+) STALKER (2 million+) are all multimillion sellers too.

Doesn't change the fact that console games sell more . Halo 3 alone has sold better that any game in that list

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline tarpmortar

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #116 on: July 19, 2014, 03:34:17 pm »
That's overlooking the countless developers that went bust after the 8 bit crash or the Spectrum and C64 developers that couldn't handle the transition to 16 bit . It happens always have and always will.

So your counter argument is that the industry isn't in bad shape because the last time it was doing this poorly was the crash of 82?

Sterling.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #117 on: July 19, 2014, 04:02:47 pm »
You want more ?

Digital Pictures
Dephine
Mucky Foot
Argonaut
Bluesky Software
Boss Studio's
Lobotomy
MNS
Cryo
Big Ape
Rocket Science
Exyx

There's loads more too

Go ahead, it's still not even half of the developers I've mentioned and you've resorted into using developers who went bust in different generations. You've clearly lost this one if you have to start combining several generations together.

It always happens and always will . Hardly any of the big Spectrum and C64 developers are still around . They'll always games corps that will expand too much too soon and can't pay the bills .

Again you're either being ignorant on purpose or know nothing about differing situations. Simply because this has happened in the past does not mean you can bury your head in the sand. Especially as it's happened to a greater extent now than before and to bigger players.

Monster Hunter IV brought in more money and you act like users can't download games digitally on the consoles . When most corps post their results the console versions do better than their PC games for sales

Monster Hunter is one of the few games that has a significant download rate but that was besides the point, don't be silly and keep throwing "Well Monster Hunter did more!!!" because I could just throw Diablo 3 or any other massive PC titles. The point is PC games sell the majority of it's sales online.

And again you're making a point where I haven't even addressed you on, stop spouting arguments when I'm not even arguing the point with you.

That doesn't mean the console is in decline . And has PSO II even sold a million copies yet ?

PSO2 has made more money than any Phantasy Star title before which includes one title that did over 600,000 units. So yes, pretty sure it's made the amount of money equivalent to selling a million retail units.

No its not, big difference to 1.8 million users though

It is but it's not some lowly title you tried to paint it as. Fact is it's probably bigger than Dark Souls II.

Well they were still new IP and risks and it also shows that the sales are there if you make a game people want .

The point is that I am not going to act those two titles reflect the dominance of the PC market over the console market. If I was using your logic I would, but there are plenty of other reasons why the PC market is doing so well.

Doesn't change the fact that console games sell more . Halo 3 alone has sold better that any game in that list

What fact? Bring me prove, you sprout out all this nonsense without firing back any sort of evidence.

Halo 3 got to that point in the market after 5 years of release. Diablo 3 got to 12 million+ with only a years worth of sales and will eventually overtake Halo 3.

Unless you can understand context, you might as well give up because you keep losing each successive point.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 04:13:28 pm by Aki-at »

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #118 on: July 19, 2014, 06:01:36 pm »
27 million people play League of Legends daily. 67 million a month.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/01/27/riots-league-of-legends-reveals-astonishing-27-million-daily-players-67-million-monthly/

DOTA 2 is picking up steam even quicker.

The issue here is how you think a company measures success, you think of it as units sold, but that is a very old way of thinking TA and that sort of thinking is why Capcom is in deep shit. DOTA/League of Legends are having massive e-sports tournaments, making money on cosmetic items and ranking in a killing.

Call me when a game on consoles has a esports tournament prize pool of 10 million. Truth is, people are tired of being ripped the fuck off by Capcom selling them 60 dollar games then charging them for recolored outfits.

World of Warcraft has pulled in over 10 billion in revenue and still has 8 million accounts open. Its not a joke. The Sims 3 saw over 10 million base users (this isn't including dlc/expansions). Garry's Mod (a modification for the game HL2) saw 4.8 million in sales. Think about it, someone made that in their house for fun gave it away for free for like.. 3 years then charged for it and 4.8 million people bought it.

The closes 'sleeper hit' that consoles has is Dark Souls and that sold a big chunk on PC. PC market is healthy and growing daily. You are just a sour grape and hate PCs.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #119 on: July 20, 2014, 05:31:59 am »
So your counter argument is that the industry isn't in bad shape because the last time it was doing this poorly was the crash of 82

The crash only really hurt 'America',  . European and Japanese markets  wasn't that badly affected . They'll always be a cycle

Especially as it's happened to a greater extent now than before and to bigger players.

Its not happing to a greater extent .Just now now with internet and worldwide news its reported more its makes more news . There's most prob more people employed in the games industry than ever before . Look at the car industry there's been mass lay off's plenty of car corps gone bust and loads of them still in trouble. You going to tell me car sales still aren't massive ? 

[/size]
The point is PC games sell the majority of it's sales online.

[/size]And what Amazon don't sell million of games on-line , are Walmart sales even counted these days in the NDP sales  . Simple fact is when the likes of Ubisoft, EA and the like report their results they also  include digital and PC sales and even then the console versions sell more . Watchdogs a brand new IP has sold millions already and the Console versions sell the best and yet you make out the console industry is in trouble
PSO2 has made more money than any Phantasy Star title before which includes one title that did over 600,000 units.

You say that like PSO was this amazing selling title before . Its never been an amazing selling title until SEGA brought it to the PSP and at last started to see some decent sales for the IP

It is but it's not some lowly title you tried to paint it as.

No try and I just said Dark Souls II sold better , that's all .

but there are plenty of other reasons why the PC market is doing so well

Never said it wasn't . The fact is console games sales are better .

but that is a very old way of thinking TA and that sort of thinking is why Capcom is in deep shit

No they are not. Like any public corp they'll be open to a takeover.

Call me when a game on consoles has a esports tournament prize pool of 10 million.

Laughable really . Tournaments do no reflect PC are bigger . Some of the prize pool for fishing tournaments are massive , but I'm not about to say Fishing makes more money than ports like America football or soccer

The Sims 3 saw over 10 million base users (this isn't including dlc/expansions). Garry's Mod (a modification for the game HL2) saw 4.8 million in sales. Think about it, someone made that in their house for fun gave it away for free for like.. 3 years then charged for it and 4.8 million people bought it.

Nice sales but Halo 3 alone sold more on one console, never mind the likes of GTA IV, COD, AC and so on

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is