Author Topic: Bayonetta 2 Discussion Mega Thread  (Read 280713 times)

Offline Ben

• Total Meseta: 1
Re: Bayonetta 2 Discussion Mega Thread
« Reply #255 on: August 27, 2014, 02:01:44 am »
I never understood why people said she looked like Sarah Palin.

Was it like tongue in cheek? Just because she wears glasses or something? Because she looks nothing like Sarah Palin.

No I honestly believe she looks like Sarah Palin. I guess it's a matter of opinion, but that's certainly what the character reminds me of.

because he doesn't believe that strong independent women should be video-game protagonists.

(sigh) and of course, Bayonetta fans always resort to the "if you don't like this game, you're sexist!!!!!" defense.....

It's ridiculous, if she were a male character I'd have had the same reaction. Has nothing to do with her gender whatsoever.

It's honestly sexist of you to bring her gender into it; Bayonetta shouldn't be judged differently just because she's a female. Who cares. If I said that I disliked Master Chief, would you have said that it's because I don't like male characters? Of course not.

And by the way, lol.....lots of video games feature strong female main characters; to me it's not even anything noteworthy. I know that Bayonetta fans like to act like she's the first, but....not even close.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 02:15:20 am by Ben »

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #256 on: August 27, 2014, 08:01:33 am »
(sigh) and of course, Bayonetta fans always resort to the "if you don't like this game, you're sexist!!!!!" defense.....

I'm surprised you fell for my obvious bait/trolling.

But seriously, why don't you like Bayonetta as a character? Although I get the feeling you're playing the game for the wrong reasons, or just don't like action games, which is fine. I guess...

But not liking the soundtrack? That just makes me sick.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #257 on: August 27, 2014, 08:28:22 am »
Bayonetta as a character is just as good as Varla Gunns and  Detective Washington...caricatures with a little depth added...its just too bad Sega decided not to try and develop them further with future games...

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #258 on: August 27, 2014, 08:31:58 am »
Bayonetta as a character is just as good as Varla Gunns and  Detective Washington...caricatures with a little depth added...its just too bad Sega decided not to try and develop them further with future games...

Maybe they'll make a HotD mobile game, where you can fire ten bullets a day, and can pay real money to buy more bullets. JUST LIKE THE OLD GAMES, WE LOVE OUR FANS!

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #259 on: August 27, 2014, 08:58:28 am »
No I honestly believe she looks like Sarah Palin. I guess it's a matter of opinion, but that's certainly what the character reminds me of.

Things that is different
- Square jaw vs sharpish jaw
- Mole under lip
- Different ears
- Different hair colours
- Eyes and eyebrows are completely different
- Bayonetta has a slender nose

Things they share
- Wear glasses
- Are white
- Both are females

I'm still failing to see the resemblance.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #260 on: August 27, 2014, 09:02:27 am »
Things they share
- Wear glasses
- Are white
- Both are females

All white females with glasses look alike.

Ben is sexist, ableist and racist!

Please go back to Stormfront, Ben.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #261 on: August 27, 2014, 09:11:57 am »

Things that is different
- Mole under lip
- Different ears
- Different hair colours

Things they share
- Wear glasses
- Are white
- Both are females

The sarah palin thing was just a lazy comparison because of the time BAYONETTA was being promoted during the american election race and any attention to be part of that historical election would have been exploited. So saying Bayonetta looked like Sarah palin was just the game industy's and game magazines attempt to get attention from the mainstream world...hey this video game character looks like palin...come on CNN..come on ABC news, look at us!"
Sad and pathetic really...

Offline Ben

« Reply #262 on: August 27, 2014, 06:35:27 pm »
I'm surprised you fell for my obvious bait/trolling.

I can never tell if you're joking or not, lol. Regardless though, that argument always does sorta get to me. I think people misunderstand that the issue some have with Bayonetta isn't that she's a strong female, it's that her characterization seems a bit dated; Maybe more reminiscent of a time when developers felt that male gamers wouldn't have any interest in a female main character unless she was tearing her clothes off every 5 seconds.

I can maybe accept the argument that the character of Bayonetta may have been meant as a satire of this type of thing, but if that was the case then the writing (IMO) didn't take this idea far enough.

And again, that's not why I personally disliked the character. I just found her to be annoying.

Although I get the feeling you're playing the game for the wrong reasons, or just don't like action games, which is fine. I guess...

It's not true that I don't like action games. Honestly though I found the character, her portrayal, and her voice to be irritating. It's a matter of preference of course, but Bayonetta herself plays such a major role in the game that it's hard to sort of enjoy it if you dislike her.

That's always the risk you run when you develop a character who's so over the top. With someone like Lightning from FF13 or Jack from MadWorld or the female Shepherd from Mass Effect, even if you don't really like these characters, they're sort of subdued and it's unlikely that you'd find them to be "annoying." Characters like Bayonetta or Travis from No More Heroes are so incredibly over the top and by that nature, you run the risk of them alienating various people.

Some people like the character, and I get that. Some people find the character to be exploitative, and I get that. I personally don't really agree with either point, I just found her to be irritating.

But not liking the soundtrack? That just makes me sick.

haha I thought the Fly Me to the Moon song was amusing the first time, I didn't need to hear it every 5 seconds though.

Things that is different
- Mole under lip
- Different ears
- Different hair colours

Things they share
- Wear glasses
- Are white
- Both are females

lol dude I didn't say they got Sarah Palin down to every microscopic detail..........but yeah, I don't really know what else to say, I look at that picture and see definitively that they look alike. I'm surprised you'd even post that picture because when I look at it, all I see is "wow, they look alike."

saying Bayonetta looked like Sarah palin was just the game industy's and game magazines attempt to get attention from the mainstream world...hey this video game character looks like palin...come on CNN..come on ABC news, look at us!"
Sad and pathetic really...

Or maybe they just thought she looked like her.

I mean look it's a matter of opinion, you either think she does or doesn't. But I have trouble not seeing the resemblance, to be honest.

Not that it really matters (I was somewhat joking when I listed that as a major reason why I didn't like the character) but yeah...I can't really see how you guy don't see it.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 06:53:51 pm by Ben »

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #263 on: August 28, 2014, 08:07:52 am »
Hmm, I can't say I've ever disliked a character enough that it's hampered my enjoyment of a game. I think I can generally look past stuff like that if the gameplay is good enough.

I actually really liked Bayonetta's character to be honest. She was basically just a female version of the typical smart-arse male. I think the closest equivalent would probably be Duke Nukem. Yes she was sexualised, but it didn't really feel like it was overbearing unless it was played for laughs or it was Bayonetta taunting someone. Not even quite satire so much as just larger than life.

As for the music, I loved the Fly me to the Moon cover, but FMTTM is my favourite song so... Having said that all the instrumental and other music was top notch. Remember Red and Black?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVSYSfHo-MI

As for taking me seriously, you should know that 99.99% of the time I'm posting here I'm being a tool-box.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #264 on: August 28, 2014, 09:26:14 am »
Or maybe they just thought she looked like her.

I mean look it's a matter of opinion, you either think she does or doesn't. But I have trouble not seeing the resemblance, to be honest.

Not that it really matters (I was somewhat joking when I listed that as a major reason why I didn't like the character) but yeah...I can't really see how you guy don't see it.

Because she doesn't. Both Palin and Bayonetta is based on some 60s beehive fashion template that many women in the 1960s in america were dressing like. So people saying that they are the same is effectively the equivalent of them saying that all japanese people  look the same and all blacks look the same and all whoever..yet again lazy comparison.. They have a similar look yes but not looking the same or are the same..

Offline Ben

« Reply #265 on: August 28, 2014, 01:50:43 pm »
Because she doesn't. Both Palin and Bayonetta is based on some 60s beehive fashion template that many women in the 1960s in america were dressing like. So people saying that they are the same is effectively the equivalent of them saying that all japanese people  look the same and all blacks look the same and all whoever..yet again lazy comparison.. They have a similar look yes but not looking the same or are the same..

They have similar looks, yes, which makes them look the same.

I actually really liked Bayonetta's character to be honest. She was basically just a female version of the typical smart-arse male. I think the closest equivalent would probably be Duke Nukem. Yes she was sexualised, but it didn't really feel like it was overbearing unless it was played for laughs or it was Bayonetta taunting someone. Not even quite satire so much as just larger than life.

I never really  cared much for Duke Nukem's character either so maybe it's just not my thing.

Musically I didn't hate most of it, but yeah Fly Me to the Moon was played so constantly that to me it overshadowed everything else. I don't remember any other songs. Not saying they weren't in there, but I can't remember what they were.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #266 on: August 29, 2014, 05:18:10 am »
They have similar looks, yes, which makes them look the same.

What,Sarah palin busting out with two guns and skimpy clothing which is really her hair and wearing high heels? The only similarity is the hair style and they both wear glasses...

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #267 on: August 29, 2014, 10:12:56 am »
I dunno, i think she sort of looks like Sarah Palin. We would have to know what Palin looked like when she was younger though cause Bayonetta seems to look a bit younger than Palin is.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline fernandeath

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #268 on: August 29, 2014, 10:47:11 am »
The game will be released on october 24th

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/08/29/bayonetta-2-launches-on-october-24.aspx

I think this is a good timing to release the game.
The WiiU is doing great business since the release of MK8 and I'm finally optimistic about the game's comercial sucess.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #269 on: August 29, 2014, 11:44:08 am »
Finally a release date!

Since there's no mention of a Bayo 2 bundle, I guess I'm safe to buy a Wii-U now then. I'll probably pick it up sometime next week via the refurb option on the website  :afroman: