Author Topic: It's been pretty quiet about Sonic. E3 reveal possible?  (Read 16702 times)

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
Re: It's been pretty quiet about Sonic. E3 reveal possible?
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2015, 03:33:47 am »
Not sure what you mean by purity but rayman 2 is magical and a goddamn oddity for 2 reasons

1) there are no glitches.  None.  It is a technical masterpiece.  Compare this with SA1 and good grief.

2) the controls and camera are smooth as hell.  It literally almost never gets in the way of gameplay. 

I mean, it may not be everyone's cup of tea but its a brilliantly realized game, especially for 2000 or what have you. 

Rayman II on the DC looked amazing and blew most games away and in many ways in the equal for Mario 64 . Its a better made game than Sonic Adv, but I liked Sonic Adv more myself
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2015, 05:47:24 am »
Eh, sprites are nice and all but I prefer 2.5D over modern 2D sprites any day of the week. There's something to appreciate about sprites made in the past but these days sprites aren't nearly as great.
Not sure if the look of the new Rayman games can be grouped together with other modern 2D sidescrollers, considering most of them use pixel art.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 06:01:02 am by TimmiT »

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2015, 07:01:58 am »
Not sure if the look of the new Rayman games can be grouped together with other modern 2D sidescrollers, considering most of them use pixel art.

I mean games by bigger publisher. So stuff like Tembo,  Rayman etc, unless I'm missing a specific publisher that has been making games using pixel art? Not sure.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2015, 02:01:41 pm »
Depends on the game. Look at KoFXIII's sprite work, it's gorgeous. I agree that it doesn't always look good, but I do love a really nice 2D game. It is a personal thing though.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2015, 02:20:18 pm »
Depends on the game. Look at KoFXIII's sprite work, it's gorgeous. I agree that it doesn't always look good, but I do love a really nice 2D game. It is a personal thing though.

I wasn't saying sprite work looks bad, just the particular style of Rayman, Tembo etc I'm less fond of. A Sonic game where the sprites are animated on a frame by frame basis would look awesome, but I think well made 3D art direction can be fantastic too.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2015, 02:44:30 pm »
I love the way Rayman and Tembo look. I really like the crisp clean HD, cartoony feel. Especially the environments. I wish Sonic 4 had used a similar design.
Made by SEGA

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2015, 03:16:48 pm »
I think a lot of people hoped Sonic 4 would have been different.

Rayman games look like playable paintings, I love it.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2015, 04:37:18 pm »
I like 2d sprites as well but for some reason a lot of low res 2d sprite games dont translate well into HD. Can anyone imagine how metal slug would look? Probably lose a lot of its detail and charm

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2015, 08:15:44 pm »
I like 2d sprites as well but for some reason a lot of low res 2d sprite games dont translate well into HD. Can anyone imagine how metal slug would look? Probably lose a lot of its detail and charm

Keep it the same then. Or you could find a way to do it well, again, look at the jump from KoFXI to KoFXIII and they managed to keep the charm and personality.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2015, 08:37:55 pm »
If SNK can match promo art as in-game graphics, that would be nice:

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2015, 05:09:26 am »
I love the way Rayman and Tembo look. I really like the crisp clean HD, cartoony feel. Especially the environments. I wish Sonic 4 had used a similar design.

That Framwork engine of Ubi is amazing , and I have to say that Ori onthe XBox One looks amazing too . SEGA Japan had its own wonderful looking Canvas engine but made little use of it sadly. 
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure