Author Topic: Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love thread  (Read 8837 times)

Offline jonboy101

• Total Meseta: 9
Re: Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love thread
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2010, 08:33:22 am »
Its a shame that the worst one in the main series is the one being brought over. Wouldn't it have been wiser to bring over the first four on Windows?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2010, 08:44:26 am »
Quote from: "jonboy101"
Its a shame that the worst one in the main series is the one being brought over. Wouldn't it have been wiser to bring over the first four on Windows?

Like... on the PC? But then it wouldn't be a console game (and who would play it?). I'd preferred that they released the Sakura Taisen Complete Box for the Dreamcast way back when. 10 GD-ROMs is drool worthy.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2010, 03:22:46 pm »

They might do that if this sells good enough. It would probably be fairly cheap considering they could just hire a specific cast for all of the games and just get it over with.

But I am entirely certain they picked this one up over the others because it is an independent release from the rest of the series. So if it is a failure you do not have your fans complaining about a cliff hanger.

I do not mind, this is the only one in the series I never got to play, so woo.

Quote from: "Aki-at"
Quote from: "Sega Uranus"
Unless you were joking, in which case, jokes on me!

Pretty sure he was serious of the generic anime rubbish characters bit though.

That cannot be the case, he told me he is interested in Valkyria!

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2010, 03:27:18 pm »
Quote from: "Aki-at"
Unless you were joking, in which case, jokes on me!

Pretty sure he was serious of the generic anime rubbish characters bit though.

Touché good sir.

Offline jonboy101

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2010, 08:45:57 am »
Quote from: "Barry the Nomad"

Like... on the PC? But then it wouldn't be a console game (and who would play it?). I'd preferred that they released the Sakura Taisen Complete Box for the Dreamcast way back when. 10 GD-ROMs is drool worthy.

Who will play it anyway but fans of the series? And they're all already on Windows, so it wouldn't be too difficult. Who doesn't have a PC?

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2010, 03:46:29 pm »

While both games look very similar, Valkryia at least has an under-utilised setting, and a cool filter/engine to work with. I just hate what Sakura Tension is doing to the fanbase.

The art style is not interesting at all, even if it had a filter it goes through, the actual character designs are generic anime stuff outside of a select few of characters. Not everyone is going to hate that, but I like it when people try to make their games stand out. Some argue Skies of Arcadia's art is similar, but most of the humans in that still stand out (a good example is De Loco) if not just for their outfits, the world art, monster art and even ship and building art are all at least creative, while in Sakura all of the characters look similar or have the same builds. The majority of the characters share the same bodies with a custom head, lazy design IMO.

The gameplay is not really new, not that it makes it bad because I like it when games stick to tried and true gameplay styles, but in here the developers could not make up their mind and it becomes some kind of malformed half turn based half DATING game. The characters can flirt you while you move around... I do not see why anyone would think that is a good idea. When a character dies they leave the game forever unless they have something to do with the story. COOL, I will just restart the whole mission now because I liked that character or literally have to because I will need him or her for future battles.

The music is not really bad just... girly. It all fits I guess, just does not feel right for a SEGA game and the vocal stuff is like Special Friends quality.

SEGA fans treating the franchise like some kind of golden child just pisses me off way more... A sequel, a set of figurines and toys, a whole cartoon, a constant stream of DLC, updates on all of their blogs about the franchise every fucking week and more. Where is this kind of love for Virtua Fighter? The House of the Dead? Streets of Rage? Those were way more profitable and are loved by way more people. It is games like this that I think are helping make SEGA lose it's image they have kept since the early 80s, and I do not like how it looks.

*Cough*

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2010, 07:58:28 pm »
Hey Mang, all that stuff held up for Valkyria like I originally said, but not Sakura Taisen! At least, nowhere near as much.

:x

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2010, 10:55:17 am »
One week til release! I have little interest, and yet the idea of the special edition box tempts me!

Offline ImSmartUrDum

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2010, 04:41:21 am »
I am probably gonna opt for the PS2 version for the lovely package...

I don't want that nasty Wii version :(

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2010, 07:47:24 am »
I've got the PS2 version pre-ordered at EB Games.
I read a review of the Wii version in that Nintendo Power with the writeup on Sonic 4, and they basically said that the controls would be better on the PS2 because of some sections that were designed for a dual analogue setup.