Author Topic: Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed disscussion  (Read 253112 times)

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
Re: SEGA announces Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
« Reply #330 on: October 12, 2012, 12:53:47 am »
I really do think that is a very bad reason not to include him. Tails is basically an orange square with ears, Sonic is a blue dot with spikes etc just an excuse because SEGA probably do not think he is worth the time and effort, sadly.
I really wanted ristar but the black dot reason seemed... kind of reasonable. He doesnt have a neck to turn his face and having the "star shape" only in front of the black dot would only make you see the tip of his star from the back. Also animating his arms was tricky... or wait nvm let me just quote their post
Quote from: SOL
It's not solely down to the rear view...

For example, Sonic can turn his head to see characters he's overtaking, Ristar would have to turn his whole body.

Sonics spikes move in the wind... Ristar would need to be much more solid and less flexible (it'd be weird to see the tips of his stars flapping about, they're not made of hair!).

That's before you consider how the arms would move around the 'star' to steer a wheel, or what kind of shape chair you'd have to build to sit him on. Or how his feet would reach the pedals.

Some characters can be moved from 2D to 3D, some aren't so straight-forward.

It's easy as a fan to go 'All these can be resolved' and it's very easy to do a drawing which looks like it will work. But it's not so easy to make this work in 3D, with animation, with facial blends, in a vehicle that's cool AND make it appealing to a wide audience.

Which is why... He gets to wave a flag this time Posted Image
They(sumorex at segaforums) also said that with this reasoning, we shouldn't get our hopes up to ever see him playable in a racing game.... I know it sucks, but look at the bright side. In my prediction he was a definite choice. So having one less, opens up the chances for other characters. I think i'm fine with him as a flagman.

Usually I like to hold on my principles, but I believe they are sincere and put him as a flagman only because of the loud requests even if they had planned not to have him in the game.

They already started to divide it in the last game. All they are doing now is getting characters for the Japanese market since SEGA of Japan would not be too bothered otherwise I imagine.
If it was 1 exclusive i'd understand. I don't mind exclusives as long they become worldwide DLC eventually.

Also this www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2n_Z4FAZbU#t=09m08s

^Hinting at Ryo Hazuki?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 05:26:11 am by CrazyTails »

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #331 on: October 12, 2012, 06:55:28 am »
Apparently these are the names of four tracks:

Shinobi - Seasonal Shrine
Sky Sanctuary - Sanctuary Falls
The House of the Dead - Graveyard Gig
Billy Hatcher - Chilly Castle

Billy Hatcher, thankfully, appears to have only one track and S0L seems to be hinting that Billy is not a racer. It'll be a wholly new track, set in Blizzard Castle.

House of the Dead will also be brand new, but will be set in Curien Mansion again.

I was going to say that Chilly Castle sounds awfully familiar to Blizzard Castle, so I guess we are back to that level again!  :D

Not too sure if S0L's deconfirming Billy Hatcher though, although it'd make sense to leave him out as he isn't really one racer you could do transforming with (unless He turns into an egg and hatches out with a new vehicle).

By the way, who'd getting it on PS3, 360, Vita, 3DS or Wii U?

I'm getting it for 360 and Vita so if anyone wants to add me to race you can do so, I am very friendly so don't be shy!  ;D
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 07:00:48 am by Nameless 24 »
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #332 on: October 12, 2012, 07:06:12 am »
Ok so that's 3 great news in a row!
Really great to hear about a japanese release!! The last few characters will have to really help promote that.
Ristar as flagman. Yea glad he is in the game. Saw it coming that he wasnt going to be playable. He is basically a black dot from behind. Pretty cool to have his appearance like that.
And a PC exclusice? **ck yeah!!

@kori and aki

If they really end up doing japanese exclusives with more than 1 character that would suck horribly and be unfair! I dont think Sumo would divide their product like that. At least it would be really.. not smart
They would if they want the game to sell in Japan.
its not suprising this game is getting released in Japan since Sega has been releasing some of their western titles down there for a while now, RENEGADE OPS was released down there and so is HELL YEAH! WRATH OF THE DEAD RABBIT.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #333 on: October 12, 2012, 07:47:32 am »
I agree that characters new to the Japanese version are a must. Maybe 2 or 3 more? Then make them DLC in all other countries. Everybody is a winner. Japan gets characters that will help sell the game and everybody else gets their obscure characters.

I'd think Kazuma, Hatsune Miku and Sakura Shinguji would make for great Japanese characters. All three franchises are often used in crossovers and cameos, like Project X Zone, Border Break, and Samurai & Dragons.

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #334 on: October 12, 2012, 08:31:49 am »
They would if they want the game to sell in Japan.
its not suprising this game is getting released in Japan since Sega has been releasing some of their western titles down there for a while now, RENEGADE OPS was released down there and so is HELL YEAH! WRATH OF THE DEAD RABBIT.
All it would take is 2 or 3 characters in the main roster to let it do well in the east. Something from phantasy star or hatsune miku. I think dividing the products "too" much wouldn't be wise because you're always gonna make the consumer feel screwed. Missing 1 thing allready sucks, let alone more >_<(and this is counting all the versions and their exclusives, allthough we don't know much about it yet)

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #335 on: October 12, 2012, 09:22:53 am »
The better incentive would be to put in the characters for the western release as DLC when the game in Japan releases as a "Final Mix" if you will.

Although a lack of Valkyria Chronicles boggles the mind...it's SEGA's most recent franchise that has promise and what do they do? Keep it in Japan. -_-

I wouldn't mind if they made a track as DLC for it though.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #336 on: October 12, 2012, 11:16:41 am »
Think about it guys, they wont exactly be DLC. Let's just speculate for a second(not saying this is true) Two characters maybe more will be removed from the western version for the japanese version and replaced by characters known to the japanese public. They won't necessarly be Sega owned either. I very much the NASCAR lady will not be in the japanese version and depending on the license Wreak it Ralph too,then the characters they'll use well Miku could easily happen but Kazuma is doubtful, it would have to be characters known and is popular with japanese Sega fans, Could be ALEX KIDD,(very likely if he's not in already) CLOCKWORK KNIGHT,SAKURA TAISEN, TEMPO, WONDERBOY,(of all things)but keep it board it wont necessarly be a character from a current game or a more violent game. But who knows? If anything Segata Shinshiro is more than likely to make an appearence in that version of the game. Or should do anyway, its too much of a good oppurtunity to miss.

DLC is a totally different thing and if its what i think it is there should be a pleasent suprise in store(i hope)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 11:22:18 am by ROJM »

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #337 on: October 12, 2012, 11:19:37 am »
I really wanted ristar but the black dot reason seemed... kind of reasonable. He doesnt have a neck to turn his face and having the "star shape" only in front of the black dot would only make you see the tip of his star from the back. Also animating his arms was tricky... or wait nvm let me just quote their post

Obviously the developer would say all that to cover their back, or the backs of the publisher. How am I to believe Sumo when they assumed that Vectorman turned into a bike and only came to this conclusion on seeing fanart of the character, this was their supposed basis on not including the character.

(Also would note, Sonic's spikes are meant to be stiff, Sonic Team decided to make it hairlike for whatever reason eventually, what would have stopped Sumo from slightly changing Ristar's design?)

SEGA has however made it explicitly clear though that they were picking characters based on which got the best response from non-fans. Widest appeal, how non-fans would appreciate the characters etc already told me much of what I knew already.

They(sumorex at segaforums) also said that with this reasoning, we shouldn't get our hopes up to ever see him playable in a racing game....

Or rather SEGA sees very little value in the Ristar IP to actual bother with making him a playable character.

I know it sucks, but look at the bright side. In my prediction he was a definite choice. So having one less, opens up the chances for other characters. I think i'm fine with him as a flagman.

Bright side? What bright side? I have Ralph, Billy, Danica, Reala and Gum, characters I really could have done without and replaced with others. And I do not buy the whole Ralph and Danica did not take a character out lies SEGA spew, no matter what, resources are taken up from the overall budget. Unless Disney and Nascar provided their own people to design those characters, resources has been taken up.

EDIT: I'd like to also make it clear, the previous game's gameplay was not something I enjoyed (And did not expect from SEGA either, it felt like something made by Nintendo) so the character roster is all that this game has to appeal to me. Failing that, I really have no reason to buy this game.

Usually I like to hold on my principles, but I believe they are sincere and put him as a flagman only because of the loud requests even if they had planned not to have him in the game.

Sumo putting him in as a flagman requires minimal effort, they already designed him in the previous title.

If it was 1 exclusive i'd understand. I don't mind exclusives as long they become worldwide DLC eventually.

Its going to be on-disc for Japan and DLC for everyone else. Probably even having Akira and Jacky return too so they can "save" money on the budget.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 11:56:26 am by Aki-at »

Offline Kori-Maru

• Total Meseta: 9
  • AMS Kagekidan sanjou-desu!
    • The Website of the Dead
« Reply #338 on: October 12, 2012, 02:44:19 pm »
I asked S0L about what will be the changes for the Japanese version and he said this.
We may. How, not sure. Mostly it's translations, sometimes there are specific requests for tweaks and tucks. More characters and tracks - very unlikely. They're expensive :P

---S0L ---
Sad times. Japanese fans will probably not be pleased with the game's cast that'll appeal to Western gamers.

www.thewebsiteofthedead.com ~ The House of the Dead Unofficial fan site

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #339 on: October 13, 2012, 12:46:35 pm »
I asked S0L about what will be the changes for the Japanese version and he said this.Sad times. Japanese fans will probably not be pleased with the game's cast that'll appeal to Western gamers.

To be fair, if it costs too much money to put them in, I don't think they will care how many Japanese gamers will buy the game...the opposite it true for Project x Zone...since the western fans have probably never even heard of Resonance of Fate or Fate/Extra or even .//hack!

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #340 on: October 13, 2012, 01:15:05 pm »
Obviously the developer would say all that to cover their back, or the backs of the publisher. How am I to believe Sumo when they assumed that Vectorman turned into a bike and only came to this conclusion on seeing fanart of the character, this was their supposed basis on not including the character.

(Also would note, Sonic's spikes are meant to be stiff, Sonic Team decided to make it hairlike for whatever reason eventually, what would have stopped Sumo from slightly changing Ristar's design?)

SEGA has however made it explicitly clear though that they were picking characters based on which got the best response from non-fans. Widest appeal, how non-fans would appreciate the characters etc already told me much of what I knew already.

Or rather SEGA sees very little value in the Ristar IP to actual bother with making him a playable character.
I can't deny your sentiments Aki because I am not in the position to determine what exactly is bullshit and whatnot. But yeah I agree about the ristar case that the reasoning is a little bit off when you analyze it a bit. Ristar is a pretty iconic character and i've always thought so from the first time i've saw him in shenmue.

Bright side? What bright side? I have Ralph, Billy, Danica, Reala and Gum, characters I really could have done without and replaced with others. And I do not buy the whole Ralph and Danica did not take a character out lies SEGA spew, no matter what, resources are taken up from the overall budget. Unless Disney and Nascar provided their own people to design those characters, resources has been taken up.

EDIT: I'd like to also make it clear, the previous game's gameplay was not something I enjoyed (And did not expect from SEGA either, it felt like something made by Nintendo) so the character roster is all that this game has to appeal to me. Failing that, I really have no reason to buy this game.

Sumo putting him in as a flagman requires minimal effort, they already designed him in the previous title.

Its going to be on-disc for Japan and DLC for everyone else. Probably even having Akira and Jacky return too so they can "save" money on the budget.
I think i'm just generally positive about this game. It's my most anticipated game thsi year after PSO2 didn't quite deliver. I can understand that the first game didn't do it for you but I honestly can't see how a SEGA fan cant be optimistic about SASRT. Aside from personal preferences, I have no doubt it's gonna be a great game with one of the best replayability for me. While the first game was very basic and missed an online mode on PC, this next game is gonna be rich and with an online mode.

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #341 on: October 13, 2012, 01:53:56 pm »
I like the variety in this game, even though Ristar isn't a racer for strange reasons we know about.

If it helps SEGA and Sumo get the sales from their work, then I'll be happy...and if it means investing some of that into DLC, I am all for it.  ;D

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #342 on: October 13, 2012, 02:08:29 pm »
Yeah I have to say that despite the mildly irritating line up this is my most anticipated game for the remainder of the year.  The first game was surprisingly solid fun with only a few minor hitches(bland items and empty scaled down levels for 4p splitscreen).  Even some of my friends who aren't sega fans really enjoyed the game which is a testament to its quality. 

Aki out of curiosity, what did you mean when you said the game felt like something Nintendo might have developed?   

Offline Truesonic

• Total Meseta: 0
    • Live Sega Game Stream
« Reply #343 on: October 13, 2012, 02:44:02 pm »
I'm just hoping my all time favorite Sega character, Opa-Opa makes it in. He fits the theme of transforming so well since he can go on land, air, and sea. :3
SEGA Madness Stream: Join us for happy time! - http://www.twitch.tv/wolfpackcomms

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #344 on: October 13, 2012, 04:05:02 pm »
I can't deny your sentiments Aki because I am not in the position to determine what exactly is bullshit and whatnot. But yeah I agree about the ristar case that the reasoning is a little bit off when you analyze it a bit. Ristar is a pretty iconic character and i've always thought so from the first time i've saw him in shenmue.

My gripe really is SEGA is concerned what non-fans will think of their title. Perhaps they should focus more on embracing and trying to establish their legacy and try to please their own fans, which I would have imagined was one of the selling points of this game, then focus testing everything and judging from it from there.

I think i'm just generally positive about this game. It's my most anticipated game thsi year after PSO2 didn't quite deliver. I can understand that the first game didn't do it for you but I honestly can't see how a SEGA fan cant be optimistic about SASRT. Aside from personal preferences, I have no doubt it's gonna be a great game with one of the best replayability for me. While the first game was very basic and missed an online mode on PC, this next game is gonna be rich and with an online mode.

I grew up on Daytona, Virtua Racing, SEGA Rally, Outrun etc and the title feels nothing like a racer I would expect from SEGA. And I will admit, it peeved me off that we have no actual TRACK from a SEGA racing title, who's brilliant idea at SEGA was this? So whilst it may have the characters of a SEGA title, it does not have the gameplay style of a SEGA racer for me.

The only thing we have is the cast and that to me is a let down. I'm sure the game will sell probably 2 million in the Christmas period alone, SEGA has their BIG title for the year at least so what I say will have little if any impact.

Aki out of curiosity, what did you mean when you said the game felt like something Nintendo might have developed?   

Mario Kart clone rather than something based on SEGA's rich heritage of racers like I pointed out to CrazyTails. Granted the first was much superior to Mario Kart, but just because it has SEGA characters will not make me magically appreciate the gameplay of that series (Or kart racers in general I suppose) so that just leaves me with the IPs represented as my only selling point.