Poll

Do you think Sega should make Shenmue III?

Yes
36 (75%)
No
12 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!  (Read 676344 times)

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
Re: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train
« Reply #750 on: June 15, 2015, 10:20:37 pm »
AM2 is still supporting Borderbreak, they just released an update a few days ago. The game is still being played competitively in Japan and is still pretty popular. They are also working on Miku and another anime arcade game.

So, AM2 is still kicking. Just wish they ported their stuff to consoles more. Also Virtua Fighter 6, believe, #TGS2015

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: Shenmue Kickstarted Announced! It's real! It's fucking happening!
« Reply #751 on: June 15, 2015, 10:22:59 pm »
Believe it or not, Shenmue III is less SEGA than Bayonetta 2 was!

I don't mean that as a knock on the game, but officially, SEGA is less involved in this than Bayo 2. Though I guess one could argue Shenmue III's early life occured within SEGA, though no clue how much of it or how much of it carried over here.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #752 on: June 15, 2015, 10:25:28 pm »
Corporate greed has sucked all the joy and innovation out of SEGA. Shenmue 3 on the Yakuza engine could have been incredible. Now we have Shenmue 3, and we have Yu Suzuki but at what cost to the actual game? We'll see.

I'm in a mix of emotions right now.
Made by SEGA

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #753 on: June 15, 2015, 10:27:07 pm »
Sega will probably publish the game, just not have any involvement in the development process
SEG4GES

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #754 on: June 15, 2015, 10:27:50 pm »
I don't think AM2 is working on Sonic the Hedgehog.

AM2 isn't a console team and haven't been for a long time.

Large scale console development has only been undertaken by three studios in recent times, Sonic Team, Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio and The Creative Assembly. One is working on a bigger series and the other two probably want to work on their own stuff. It is what it is, no point getting annoyed about it when Shenmue III has finally been announced.

Offline George

« Reply #755 on: June 15, 2015, 10:30:04 pm »
Let's be honest, arcades aren't much different from consoles anymore. Let's not pretend Arcade, consoles and PC are differentiating that much from each other.

Offline JRcade19

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #756 on: June 15, 2015, 10:30:20 pm »
UE4 gives me hope that PC stands for "something other than windows in addition", but in this particular case I doubt it.

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #757 on: June 15, 2015, 10:33:47 pm »
Coming up on $1mil right about now...

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #758 on: June 15, 2015, 10:34:44 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gDHPIF3N0A

For everyone that didn't get to see it or hasn't seen it yet.

Offline Sharky

Re: Shenmue Kickstarted Announced! It's real! Update: 1/2 funded!
« Reply #759 on: June 15, 2015, 10:35:32 pm »
UPDATE: The Shenmue 3 Kickstarter is 1/2 funded (1 million dollars) after about one hour of going up. It is currently rising about $1,500 every seven seconds.
Made by SEGA

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #760 on: June 15, 2015, 10:37:44 pm »
is this thing going to look like a game from 2004?

Offline George

« Reply #761 on: June 15, 2015, 10:38:02 pm »
I hope this is really not a disaster. I'm getting excited and sad at the same time for a few reasons (like I stated in the other thread).

(Skipping Shenmue Online project because Chinese)

A lot of people assume that Yu Suzuki was just 'booted' from SEGA AM2, when he was the one that wanted to expand to a new team. SEGA gave him a couple of teams that basically died. No idea why, one of the had a cancelled completed game and the last one, AM Plus, released a game that didn't do so well in arcades.

YS Net was funded to be independent from SEGA, but got funding and support from SEGA. The first game (and only one so far) was released in 2010, as Shenmue City, a mobile game. Which, if you have seen it, wasn't what fans wanted. Yu Suzuki said it was to fund Shenmue III, the project was not a success and shut down a year later.

Flash forward 5 years later....

Polygon had a interview with Yu Suzuki who was working out of his apartment...
http://www.polygon.com/a/life-in-japan/Yu-Suzuki-kitchen

Now a few short months later he and other key members of Shenmue are to make a new entry to the franchise for under 8 million dollars? I think a lot of people here forget how big of a project the orginal was, not just because of the technology but because of the care they put into models, weather and other things that made it stand out.

Everyone that worked at SEGA from 1995-2000 touched and worked on something in the game. Shenmue has over 800 jingles, hundreds of unique NPC models.

So, yes, I'm a bit worried that Ys NET, a developer that made one mobile game half a decade ago is the one developing the game.

But saying that, I funded it.

Offline Dr. SEGA Monkey

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #762 on: June 15, 2015, 10:40:23 pm »
This has to be some sort of Kickstarter record. A million dollars in a couple of hours?  :afroman:

Offline Sharky

« Reply #763 on: June 15, 2015, 10:41:30 pm »
As worried as I am. I am funding the shit out of this...
Made by SEGA

Offline George

« Reply #764 on: June 15, 2015, 10:44:12 pm »
I just think people are so excited and are mad at SEGA,but SEGA has been working with Yu Suzuki on projects since after he left AM2. I mean, shit, how many developers get two teams to run into the ground and then go independent and still get allowed to use IPs from the company?

Sure, I wish SEGA would fund it; I hope there isn't a reason they are staying away from this...