Poll

Do you think Sega should make Shenmue III?

Yes
36 (75%)
No
12 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!  (Read 675095 times)

3raser

Re: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train
« Reply #90 on: June 27, 2013, 01:41:27 pm »
The engine for Shenmue Online was never announced because the game was cancelled too fast to know exactly what engine was going to be used. Sega makes most of their other PC games with warscape. Sure, they use others as well. It's just that warscape is one of the most common. I do not see why the engine would really matter to the gamers as much as it does the actual company. Gamers just want it to have great graphics and a superb storyline.

Offline Nathan

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #91 on: June 27, 2013, 01:52:35 pm »
Shenmue Online development started in February 2003, and the first official news of "cancellation" was Yu Suzuki saying this on September 17th, 2008: "Due to a situation, the project is in a “pending” state. But personally, I’m hoping to be reunited with Shenmue Online. I haven’t given up.”

The last we had seen from the game was from China Joy 2006, I believe. Three years isn't really that quickly.

And speaking of magic, Shenmue's reveal to the public involved magic. Remember the Project Berkley video packed with VF3TB? Giant mirrors moving and settling, Shenhua discarding two guys hanging onto her with a magic explosion, the glowing blue/green statue in the temple? People whine about Shenmue Online ruining the franchise with the magic stuff, but everyone should've known.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 02:22:31 pm by Supa »

3raser

« Reply #92 on: June 27, 2013, 02:19:26 pm »
Shenmue Online development started in February 2003, and the first official news of "cancellation" was Yu Suzuki saying this on September 17th, 2008: "Due to a situation, the project is in a “pending” state. But personally, I’m hoping to be reunited with Shenmue Online. I haven’t given up.”

The last we had seen from the game was from China Joy 2006, I believe. Three years isn't really that quickly.

No. It actually started in 2004.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shenmue_Online

No news about it has been seen since 2006. Very little news was reported since 2005. Sega just has not denied if it is a confirmed cancelation yet.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #93 on: June 27, 2013, 02:25:34 pm »
Since when do you trust Wikipedia? Very bottom of the page, the last entry.

http://shenmuedojo.net/new/games/s0preview.html

3raser

« Reply #94 on: June 27, 2013, 04:56:40 pm »
If you do not trust wikipedia, then how about these websites?

http://www.destructoid.com/shenmue-online-canceled-who-will-move-all-of-these-online-crates-now--37565.phtml

http://www.1up.com/news/shenmue-online-officially-announced

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2007/08/rumor-shenmue-g/

Shenmue online is most likely cancelled. If they were going to make it a PC game before they make it on consoles, then that would be fine. If they restrict it to PC only, then I don't know because I'm not much of a PC gamer myself.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 04:58:32 pm by 3raser »

Offline Nathan

« Reply #95 on: June 27, 2013, 07:39:01 pm »
It was never a question of cancellation, but when it started development. It's obviously been shelved.

3raser

« Reply #96 on: June 27, 2013, 10:58:27 pm »
I know what you mean. I was just saying that it did not last as long as most cancelled games. A sequel to Shenmue is not cancelled whatsoever. It is pending, meaning that they have not made a decision about it yet. If the original creator is involved, then I do not see why they should cancel it again. If Sega has the money to make many other great games, then why not make Shenmue III?

It's the game every Sega fan has been waiting for!

Offline Nathan

« Reply #97 on: July 01, 2013, 08:34:27 pm »
Agreed. It couldn't cost that much more than modern games do nowadays.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #98 on: July 01, 2013, 09:42:36 pm »
Let's say Red Dead Redemption, that was 100 million.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #99 on: July 02, 2013, 02:59:13 pm »
It's bound to do better than they expect. I mean, Shenmue I sold 1.2 million, Shenmue II on DC was the most imported game of all time (might still be), and they're bound to get some curiosity purchases because of all of the buzz about the game and the mysterious third installment. It'd likely cost less than modern games like RDR, as George mentioned, and they'd forever be known as a company who cares a great deal about fan service. SEGA would never not be known in the gaming community as the company who put out Shenmue III.

3raser

« Reply #100 on: July 02, 2013, 04:37:25 pm »
It's bound to do better than they expect. I mean, Shenmue I sold 1.2 million, Shenmue II on DC was the most imported game of all time (might still be), and they're bound to get some curiosity purchases because of all of the buzz about the game and the mysterious third installment. It'd likely cost less than modern games like RDR, as George mentioned, and they'd forever be known as a company who cares a great deal about fan service. SEGA would never not be known in the gaming community as the company who put out Shenmue III.

Yeah. I think it would do very well if they actually made either a story that you could go along with, even without playing the first two games. Either that or a prequel. That way the people who are new to Shenmue would not have to buy a dreamcast just to see the stuff that happened in the first two games.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #101 on: July 02, 2013, 09:17:38 pm »
I think an HD remake of the first two, released together as a hard copy, would be the best move in my opinion. If they treat it right, with a full marketing campaign intended to help continue the series, I think it'd do really well.

What am I thinking...SEGA can't market anything anymore.

Offline TJKitsune

• Total Meseta: 13
  • That Crazy Fox
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #102 on: July 02, 2013, 09:33:39 pm »
Not exactly much to add to the topic, but thought it might be worth mentioning, since it is sorta related to Shenmue, but I just got word that Lisle Wilkerson, the voice of Joy in Shenmue II (As well as Sarah in Virtua Fighter and Gena in Crazy Taxi) will be making a personal appearance in Rockford, IL on Dec. 27th-29th at the Anime Apocalypse Convention...

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #103 on: July 03, 2013, 08:14:01 am »
Not exactly much to add to the topic, but thought it might be worth mentioning, since it is sorta related to Shenmue, but I just got word that Lisle Wilkerson, the voice of Joy in Shenmue II (As well as Sarah in Virtua Fighter and Gena in Crazy Taxi) will be making a personal appearance in Rockford, IL on Dec. 27th-29th at the Anime Apocalypse Convention...

Yeah!! You'll never meet any woman the likes of her.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #104 on: July 03, 2013, 01:12:48 pm »
Brilliant.