Poll

Do you think Sega should make Shenmue III?

Yes
36 (75%)
No
12 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train! Update: Funded but lets go further!  (Read 675024 times)

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
Re: SEGAbits Shenmue III Hype Train
« Reply #435 on: March 20, 2015, 09:48:50 am »
I was not saying those games were almost identical. I was just saying that those games would be too similar for another game to compete with.
Can you please explain how they are similar?

3raser

« Reply #436 on: March 22, 2015, 09:56:41 am »
I guess Spock didn't have an answer for that one. The script has already been written for a third installment. How are 2d fighting games and a mediocre adventure game anything like Shenmue? I have no idea. I DO know that a third game should be created after hd releases of both of the first games. They would look amazing on the PS4 and X1. Perhaps even the WiiU. I guess Spock is trying to say hardly anyone from new generations would know about Shenmue to care about a third game, so maybe if the new game had a script for a game that you could understand without playing the first two games, then all intense gamers will be in love with it's dynamic story!

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #437 on: March 22, 2015, 11:51:33 am »
It pretty much goes back to what I said earlier. Either a HD release or perhaps a remaster where they alter the dated bits would be needed now. It's been too long.

Offline Nathan

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #438 on: March 22, 2015, 02:16:56 pm »
What do you consider dated?

Offline Tad

« Reply #439 on: March 23, 2015, 01:49:08 am »
Dated is probably the wrong word. I should have said to refine things.

Time skip in S1
tweak the controls so you don't need to hold a button down to run
Rewrite some of the script to not sound so wonky in the English translation
Get rid of that awful song when Ryo and Nazomi are on the bike
Lose some of the stiffness to the camera and Ryo's animation
No loading screens perhaps?
Improved lighting and some of the more minor textures.

I'm not sure exactly, but if a studio did remake Shenmue, they'd probably prefer to start from nothing but the design documents and character sheets etc. Messing around with the originals can be more tricky then it's worth.

3raser

« Reply #440 on: March 24, 2015, 11:16:58 am »
Dated is probably the wrong word. I should have said to refine things.

Time skip in S1
tweak the controls so you don't need to hold a button down to run
Rewrite some of the script to not sound so wonky in the English translation
Get rid of that awful song when Ryo and Nazomi are on the bike
Lose some of the stiffness to the camera and Ryo's animation
No loading screens perhaps?
Improved lighting and some of the more minor textures.

I'm not sure exactly, but if a studio did remake Shenmue, they'd probably prefer to start from nothing but the design documents and character sheets etc. Messing around with the originals can be more tricky then it's worth.

As far as loading goes, I think the new consoles would definately get rid of most of the loading. The voices would need new actors, unless they use the same audio from the originals. Perhaps if Sega started making other things for the franchise too (like playing cards, etc), then that would help revive the series also.

Offline Tad

« Reply #441 on: March 24, 2015, 02:40:37 pm »
I kinda think that was the plan if the series took off. They couldn't really expect it to make it's money back quickly with something like this - nor would they if the 40/80 dev price tag is right. Technically, it actually sold really well on the dreamcast but its death sort of killed it from continuing I guess.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 04:24:29 am by Tad »

3raser

« Reply #442 on: March 24, 2015, 11:49:50 pm »
Yes. I'm sure it will be a good idea to perhaps make Shenmue III into an entirely different story with the same characters. Maybe if someone like Ichiro were the new main character instead of Ryo, then it would make the new Shenmue much more interesting to new players. Well, I will agree with Spock on one thing. It's not the right time for Shenmue III. I'm not sure it would be a good idea without major advertising for other Shenmue related products and hd releases. It seems like Yu Suzuki may be thinking the same. Just read number ten on the link.

http://m.digitalspy.com/gaming/feature/a558875/shenmue-postmortem-10-revelations-from-yu-suzukis-gdc-2014-talk.html#~p7V3AeKcGyIoc8

Offline Nathan

« Reply #443 on: March 25, 2015, 11:34:14 am »
With Ichiro as the main character? Umm...

The story should not change. Media has examples of sequels coming out years, sometimes decades later than the original(s). It can happen, and any time could be the right time. I don't buy it for one second that today is a better or worse time for the Shenmue III to be released in regards to the market. The only thing that would hinder Shenmue III is what killed Shenmue IIx, which is that there is no recent foundation story wise. So, I do feel that rereleases or remakes would have to precede it.

Offline Spock

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #444 on: March 25, 2015, 06:42:32 pm »
Really, 3raser? I'm Sorry. I wasn't going to mention anything on this thread anymore, but now you've taken it way too far. Trading cards almost made me laugh. Who would want to play with cards that they didn't know anything about? People are mostly concerned about baseball card collecting, board games, and Pokemon cards when it comes to stuff like that. Having a sidekick for the main character would be a disaster like Hotel Mario. Imagine having a game called Batman: Gotham's Uprising, where you could only play as Robin. Who wants to play as Robin? They like Batman better. Ryo is not just some weird sidekick. He's the definition of the series. It's already a bad idea to make a third installment, but you're trying to say it should be made into a game that's as crazy and uninteresting as possible.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #445 on: March 25, 2015, 10:57:21 pm »
And why is it a bad idea for Shenmue III, Spock? Evidence?

Offline Spock

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #446 on: March 26, 2015, 08:28:26 am »
And why is it a bad idea for Shenmue III, Spock? Evidence?
Because within the past five years, Sega only releases crap.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #447 on: March 26, 2015, 08:47:36 am »

Keep this up and I'm going to be out of a job on this forum!

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #448 on: March 26, 2015, 09:33:47 am »

2010 sucked. Wait, it was one of the best in recent memories: http://segabits.com/blog/2010/12/12/round-table-our-favorite-sega-games-of-2010/

But 2011 was such a shit year. Oh wait: http://segabits.com/blog/2011/12/31/round-table-our-favorite-sega-games-of-2011/

Well, 2012 was pure crap. Oh wait again: http://segabits.com/blog/2012/12/31/round-table-our-favorite-sega-games-of-2012/

Heh, well 2013 was absolute shit! Nevermind, not as strong as the last two years yet: http://segabits.com/blog/2013/12/31/segabits-round-table-our-favorite-sega-games-of-2013/

2014 was pretty bad, I will admit that. In terms of the past five years, however, I am struggling to see how SEGA only released "crap."

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #449 on: March 26, 2015, 10:17:36 am »
Spock, y u hatin
SEG4GES